• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vincent gone. NZ cricket to be gone in approx. 2 years

Days of Grace

International Captain
So, another one goes. Go on, TAKE THEM ALL FFS!!!!

I am pissed off. Soon NZ cricket will be like Zimbabwe and will have to pull out of international cricket, I predict, by 2011. But we should still be invited to the world cup and should still compete handily with Barbados.

**** THE ICL!!!!

howardj

International Coach

I am pissed off. Soon NZ cricket will be like Zimbabwe and will have to pull out of international cricket, I predict, by 2011. But we should still be invited to the world cup and should still compete handily with Barbados.

**** THE ICL!!!!
So who is it now that won't be representing because of ICL/IPL?

Macca, Flem, Astle?, Vincent, Bond.

Any others.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

**** THE ICL!!!!
So it'll be status quo then? :ph34r:

Is there any possibility of NZ cricket letting these guys go play ICL, even though it's the rebel league?

Out of interest, what happened in the u19 semi last night? When I switched off India was 1/20 odd chasing just over 200. There was a young Kiwi all rounder who smashed 'em good in getting 80 odd.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So who is it now that won't be representing because of ICL/IPL?

Macca, Flem, Astle?, Vincent, Bond.

Any others.
You don't seem to realise that representing the IPL doesn't mean you can't represent your country still. Players representing the ICL are getting their contracts terminated, etc.

McMillan and Astle have retired, as has Harris, Cairns and Parore.
Fleming is going to the IPL after he retires next month.

The only players who could still conceivably play for NZ but now can't because of the ICL are Andre Adams, Hamish Marshall, Daryl Tuffey, Shane Bond and now Lou Vincent.

IMO Bond & Vincent are the only real loss.

NZTailender

Anyway, this is a bit OTT. It's not like McCullum, Oram, Vettori, Mills or the like have signed for the ICL and thus can't play for NZ.

The players that have "turned their backs on NZ cricket" by signing with the ICL have had fairly valid reasons.
Shane Bond wants financial security for himself, since he knows he's injury prone and it's not like he'll be a regular fixture in the Black Caps in the future, also considering he's 32.
Andre Adams felt he was harshly treated by the selectors, so turned his back. In a way, it's true - I honestly don't think he would've ever played for us again bar an extreme injury list.
Daryl Tuffey seems to have lost the plot in terms of actually playing cricket. Seems like such a different player now and I think he thought he may not play again.
Hamish Marshall was more interested in making money than playing for NZ after he was deservedly dropped. I'll be happy never to see him in a Black Cap again.

I'd be more concerned if the likes of Broom, Nicol, Hay, How, Bell, Fulton, Taylor, Franklin, Martin, Mills, Gillespie, Southee, Todd, Cumming, Redmond, N McCullum and B Martin were to sign for the ICL.

As it stands, players who are nowhere near the current XI's (bar Bond) are signing for the ICL, so it isn't THAT BAD.

howardj

International Coach
You don't seem to realise that representing the IPL doesn't mean you can't represent your country still. Players representing the ICL are getting their contracts terminated, etc.

The only players who could still conceivably play for NZ but now can't because of the ICL are Andre Adams, Hamish Marshall, Daryl Tuffey, Shane Bond and now Lou Vincent.

It doesn't mean you can't represent your country, but it sometimes accelerates the decision to retire, when otherwise chaps may have played on. That was more what I was getting at with respect to IPL. Gilchrist and Fleming are cases in point.

It's sad to see.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Not a big loss, however the disregard in which these players hold their Contracts is disgusting.
Who will be next? I'm looking at either Sinclair or Mills (both due to jealousy and Mills especially because his brother will be able to hook him up with a sweet deal.)

sportychic33

State 12th Man
NZC needs to find a way to keep the players in and weigh up the balance of annoying the BCCI or losing NZC altogether. It is quite hard as BCCI provides the money to keep NZC running - maybe the government can bail us out like the America's Cup boat.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Good on Vincent for going IMO, he's got awful treatment from NZC throughout his career, and has he got any support during his battle with depression? NZC seem to want to do everything for Ryder, but does Vincent get a look in? Appears not.

Vincent has a young family, and appears to no longer be in the thoughts of the NZ selectors.

My favourite player of the modern age, and good on him I say. A great bloke from my very brief dealings with him, always willing for a photo and autographs. He'd be great in a public relations role.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Pretty much agree with this, but I'd say Tuffey is more of a potential loss than Vincent. Never thought a hell of a lot of Vincent, and though Tuffey has only ever shown glimpses of what I honestly have long believed is his potential, he's still just about young enough I think to have had a career if he could've got himself back on the railroad.

Obviously, that's something of an if, but it'd have been a damn sight more likely had he not had an ICL to go to than if he had.

NZTailender

Gilchrist and Fleming are cases in point.

It's sad to see.
I think you'll find they aren't. Fleming's had an axe over his head for a while and retiring would be more to do with the fact he's been stripped of the captaincy in Tests after retiring from ODI's.

Gilchrist thought about retiring over a year ago AFAIK. As far as things go, no players are ending their careers prematurely simply to play in the IPL. They are, however, doing that to play in the ICL.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Where's Tuffey from? Couldn't possibly be from Wellington, else we know ole' Heath wouldn't say a word against him(!)