• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Allan Border Medal

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Allan Border medal will only really become an issue when (or rather if) Australia ever suffer a severe fall in cricket, and where they are no longer dominating the sport. Seems a long way off, and until then the back-slapping awards will be alright.

I generally quite like it, its a good way to review the last 12 months or so. Plus its always interesting how the players and commentators view events such as India's tour to Aus in 2003/04, SA's 434 chase, England winning the CB Series, CH Series NZ winning 3-0 etc. when they're talking about the past.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, they play so much cricket nowadays that it's easy to forget what they've done in the past 12 months.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
George Giffen and Ian Healy will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I can hear Jono's screams of horror. :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 'Entertainment' at the AB Medal in previous years has been lame and has made the spectacle cringe-worthy. Get rid of the so called entertainment and just stick to the cricket.

Was at it's best in it's first installment with Tubby behind the desk.

howardj

International Coach

I have no real problem with Healy being inducted, but George?

At the risk of being howled down by any historians on here, George averaged 23 with the bat and 27 with the ball, and only took 100 wickets. C'mon!! For mine, a Hall of Fame denotes greatness- it's not something you stroll into due to the effluxion of time.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

At the risk of being howled down by any historians on here, George averaged 23 with the bat and 27 with the ball, and only took 100 wickets. C'mon!! For mine, a Hall of Fame denotes greatness- it's not something you stroll into due to the effluxion of time.
Probably more to do with averaging 21 with the ball and almost 30 with the bat in FC cricket. In the context of uncovered pitches, etc., is probably a great of his era rather than an all-time great. They've already inducted all the other greats haven't they?

pasag

RTDAS

If you look at two of the main criteria for the award:

- Based on more than just statistics.
- The player must have impacted the way in which the game is played

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Cricket_Hall_of_Fame

pasag

RTDAS
From A History of Australian Cricket:

Late in the evening of Monday 29 November 1927, the great George Giffen died at the age of sixty-eight. He had been regarded as the best cricketer Australia ever produced, the 'W.G.' of Australian cricket.....Giffen's name was so revered that the Australian Cricket Society, in late 1991, refurbished his vandalised grave, rebuilding the headstone and arranged a ceremony of dedication to a wonderful cricketing career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Haha :p

I respect Healy as a cricketer.

If he ever makes the hall of fame for his commentary there'll be hell to pay though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Big problem with the voting for this is that because it's only for one side, and the voting system is so rigid, you don't earn votes for your effect on the game, but only for what you did compared to your teammates. You see how in AFL, the B&F voting is different to the Brownlow style, to make sure that it's a more accurate reflection of the efforts of the players. Something needs to be done about the system - when you're the third best player in a big loss, chances are that you don't deserve the votes nearly as much as the third best player in a big win.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big problem with the voting for this is that because it's only for one side, and the voting system is so rigid, you don't earn votes for your effect on the game, but only for what you did compared to your teammates. You see how in AFL, the B&F voting is different to the Brownlow style, to make sure that it's a more accurate reflection of the efforts of the players. Something needs to be done about the system - when you're the third best player in a big loss, chances are that you don't deserve the votes nearly as much as the third best player in a big win.
Basically the reason I believe that giving each individual player a rating for each game they play is the most accurate way of finding the best player for such awards. Obviously that system still has it flaws, but not nearly as many as a 3-2-1 system imo.

Lee to win it imo.

howardj

International Coach
Excellent points, and well made.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Past medal winners have been:

* 2000: Glenn McGrath
* 2001: Stephen Waugh
* 2002: Matthew Hayden
* 2003: Adam Gilchrist
* 2004: Ricky Ponting
* 2005: Michael Clarke
* 2006: Ricky Ponting
* 2007: Ricky Ponting

notice - all batsmen since the start of it (ie. since pigeon) .. can Lee break the trend

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hayden for AB Medal (due to Lee missing the WC)
Lee for test player of the year.
Hayden ODI player of the year.
Noffke/Katich domestic player.
Pommersbach for BYC.