• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which IPL franchise will you be supporting?

Which IPL team do you support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The absence of Poms means the give-a-toss factor is quite low, really. Is it even being shown over here?

Plus, y'know, there's the evil to consider; what with the teams merely being the human faces of soulless multinational corporations. One might as well cheer for Coca-Cola when it trounces Pepsi.
Righto.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The absence of Poms means the give-a-toss factor is quite low, really. Is it even being shown over here?

Plus, y'know, there's the evil to consider; what with the teams merely being the human faces of soulless multinational corporations. One might as well cheer for Coca-Cola when it trounces Pepsi.
Woo Coke!!!

I reckon we'd see a more passionate contest if there really was the Real Thing All Stars vs the Choice of a New Generation Champions XI. People are serious about their soft drink choice.

ret

International Debutant
Ist of all, a big 'Hi' to e1 here. This is my first post on this forum but I hv been writing on cricket for ages

I voted for 'undecided'

I live in Canada but basically I m from Baroda so my natural tendency would be to support Mumbai. But I read that Baroda, along with the other teams from Guj, has been pooled with Jaipur. But then Jaipur doesn't hv that many players that excite me

It would hv been better if the teams had been formed on Zone basis with two teams from each zones. Even though it appears as if the teams hv been evenly distributed the South which gets 3 teams [B'lore, Chennai, Hybad], along with East that has just Kol. It would hv been much better, IMO, if every zone had two teams with names like say Trojans and Kings from West, Tigers and Cats from East and so on. I understand that having city names creates an address but so does zones!!!!

Let's look at how teams r divided at the moment:

South ----> B'lore, Hybad & Chennai
West ----> Mum and Jaipur
North ----> Mohali and Del
East ----> Kol

I would hv preferred something like this:

South ----> Team A & Team B
West ----> same as above
North ----> same as above
East ----> same as above

I 'm also amazed by the mindless bidding. Come on guys, $800k for Bhajji!!! And if I m not wrong then the contracts are for 3 yrs but whats the point in shelling out so many dollars for international players when their participation could be in doubt for e.g. Ponting may not play for the first 2 yrs in the league and may play in the 3rd yr when probably he is not at his best. The best way to go abt bidding would be to go for guys from subcontinent, preferable around/under 30, along with players approaching retirement [if they r still in gud physical shape] as they can participate for at least 2 out of the 3 yrs like Gilly and Warne.

And lastly let's look at the teams' composition:

Hyderabad -
Adam Gilchrist (US$700,000), Andrew Symonds (US$1.35 million), Herschelle Gibbs (US$575,000), Shahid Afridi (US$675,000), Scott Styris (US$175,000), VVS Laxman (US$375,000), Rohit Sharma (US$750,000), Chamara Silva (US$100,000), RP Singh (US$875,000), Chaminda Vaas (US$200,000), Nuwan Zoysa (US$110,000)

Chennai Super Kings -
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (US$1.5 million), Muttiah Muralitharan (US$600,000), Matthew Hayden (US$375,000), Jacob Oram (US$675,000), Stephen Fleming (US$350,000), Parthiv Patel (US$325,000), Joginder Sharma (US$225,000), Albie Morkel (US$675,000), Suresh Raina (US$650,000), Makhaya Ntini (US$200,000), Michael Hussey (US$350,000)

Mohali -
Yuvraj Singh (icon), Mahela Jayawardene (US$475,000), Kumar Sangakkara (US$700,000), Brett Lee (US$900,000), Sreesanth (US$625,000), Irfan Pathan (US$925,000), Ramesh Powar (US$170,000), Piyush Chawla (US$400,000), Simon Katich (US$200,000), Ramnaresh Sarwan (US$225,000)

Kolkata -
Sourav Ganguly (icon), Shoaib Akhtar (US$425,000), Ricky Ponting (US$400,000), Brendon McCullum (US$700,000), Chris Gayle (US$800,000), Ajit Agarkar (US$330,000), David Hussey (US$675,000), Ishant Sharma (US$950,000), Murali Kartik (US$425,000), Umar Gul (US$150,000), Tatenda Taibu (US$125,000)

Mumbai -
Sachin Tendulkar (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya (US$975,000), Harbhajan Singh (US$850,000), Shaun Pollock (US$550,000), Robin Uthappa (US$800,000), Lasith Malinga (US$350,000), Dilhara Fernando (US$150,000), Loots Bosman (US$175,000)

Bangalore Royal Challengers -
Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$500,000), Jacques Kallis (US$900,000), Zaheer Khan (US$450,000), Mark Boucher (US$450,000), Cameron White (US$500,000), Wasim Jaffer (US$150,000), Dale Steyn (US$325,000), Nathan Bracken (US$325,000), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (US$200,000)

Probably the worst team in the competition. Dravid, Kallis, C'paul and Jaffar in a 20-20 squad 8-) .... ROLF

Delhi Daredevils -
Virender Sehwag (icon), Daniel Vettori (US$625,000), Shoaib Malik (US$500,000), Mohammad Asif (US$650,000), AB de Villiers (US$300,000), Dinesh Karthik (US$525,000), Farveez Maharoof (US$225,000), Tillakaratne Dilshan (US$250,000), Manoj Tiwary (US$675,000), Gautam Gambhir (US$725,000), Glenn McGrath (US$350,000)

Jaipur -
Shane Warne (US$450,000), Graeme Smith (US$475,000), Younis Khan (US$225,000), Kamran Akmal (US$150,000), Yusuf Pathan (US$475,000), Mohammad Kaif (US$675,000), Munaf Patel (US$275,000), Justin Langer (US$200,000)

If I m not wrong then only 4 international players can play in the starting X1, so lets build up a squad based on that and see how the squad fare and let's assume that e1 is available

Hybad - Gilly, Symo, Vaas and Afridi [4 Int players allowed] w/ Laxman, Rohit and RP
Other Int players who can be rotated ----> Gibbs, Styris, Chamara, Zoysa

Chennai Super Kings - Murali, Hayden, Oram and Morkel w/ Dhoni, Parthiv, Jogender and Raina
Other Int players - Fleming, Ntini and M Hussey

Mohali - Jayawardene, Sangakara, Lee and Sarwan w/ Yuvi, Sree, I Pathan, Powar and Chawla
Other Ind players - Katich http://forum.cricketweb.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1488271
Cricket Web - Reply to Topic

Kolkata - Ponting, Gul, McCullum & Gayle w/ Gangu, Agarkar, Ishant, Murali
Other Int players - Akthar, Taibu

Mumbai - Jayasuriya, Pollock, Malinga & Fernando w/ Tendulkar, Uthappa, Bhajji
Other Int player - Bosman

Bangalore Royal Challengers - Kallis, Boucher, White & Bracken w/ Dravid, Kumble, Zak & Jaffar
Other Int players - Styrn, C'paul

Delhi Daredevils - McGrath, Asif, Malik and DeVilliars w/ Sehwag, Gambhir, Dinesh Karthik, Tiwari
Other Ind players - Vettori, Maharoof and Dilshan

Jaipur - Warne, Smith, Langer and Akmal w/ Y Pathan, Kaif, Munaf,
Other Int players - YK

Looking at the above Hybad and Mohali appear to be the top sides w/ Delhi and Mumbai coming in a close 2nd. May be Mumbai could hv invested better than in Jayasuriya and Bhajji. Mohali seems to be the smartest when it comes to picking up Int players along with the right blend of Indian players

cheers

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If Dhoni's team, Chennai Super Kings, fails to qualify for the Champions Twenty20, he stands to earn close to $250,000 per week, nearly matching John Terry, supposedly the highest earning player in the EPL.

Behind the Numbers

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Having looked through the squads, Mohali has most of my favoured players in the competition and may stand a decent chance of winning it.

However, I think Kolkata have the strongest squad. In terms of their batting they have excellent players to select from - Ponting, Hussey D, Ganguly and a potentially explosive opening partnership of McCullum and Gayle. The bowling options are impressive also, Sharma, Gul, Shoaib, and Agarkar with Gayle and Karthik offering a bit of spin. Favourites imo.

pup11

International Coach
I wouldn't be supporting any team yet i would first watch how this tournament goes and whether it appeals to me as cricket viewer or not, then i would decide which team to support, but i am most likely to support Kolkatta as it has guys like Ponting, David Hussey, Ganguly [as captain].

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hyderabad and Bangalore. Family roots are mainly from there. I'll probably lean towards Hyderabad, but them having Symonds ****s me.

EDIT: I'm tempted to support Bangalore just because of the fact that they have Dravid and Kallis, and because so many people have written them off already. Why the hell they got Jaffer is beyond me though.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So it'd be really hypocritical of you if you supported a Premiership football club made up of endless mercenaries and an absence of Poms now wouldn't it?
:yawn:

I wouldn't expect anyone who appears only to follow the sport as an excuse to form arbitrary hatreds of (usually foreign) players & then devises Dickinson-esque theories to justify his reductive thinking to understand the concept of loyalty, but I've been following Arsenal since I was about 7. It doesn't make me an apologist for everything they do, but I'm not about to change now.

&, not that it matters a ****, but it should appeal to your over-developed jingoistic streak: which is the only one of the big 4 not owed by foreign oligarchs? Yup, that'd be Arsenal. 122 years in British hands & counting.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
wouldn't it be funny if Ponting doesn't get selected for his side? Could happen with Hussey, Shoaib, Mcullum, Gayle and Gul around

Woodster

International Captain
wouldn't it be funny if Ponting doesn't get selected for his side? Could happen with Hussey, Shoaib, Mcullum, Gayle and Gul around
While it would be funny, don't know why you would leave one of the best batsmen in the world out of your side. If it's just because they can and to have a laugh, well then, gets my vote.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
While it would be funny, don't know why you would leave one of the best batsmen in the world out of your side. If it's just because they can and to have a laugh, well then, gets my vote.
can see it happening quite easily...Gayle, hussey and mcullum offer more added value than Ponting and Shoaib's pretty much certain to be picked if fit i reckon. Added to the fact Ponting will probably be missing part of the tournament which will give these guys time to make their mark, i can see him finding it hard to get in there.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:yawn:

I wouldn't expect anyone who appears only to follow the sport as an excuse to form arbitrary hatreds of (usually foreign) players & then devises Dickinson-esque theories to justify his reductive thinking to understand the concept of loyalty, but I've been following Arsenal since I was about 7. It doesn't make me an apologist for everything they do, but I'm not about to change now.

&, not that it matters a ****, but it should appeal to your over-developed jingoistic streak: which is the only one of the big 4 not owed by foreign oligarchs? Yup, that'd be Arsenal. 122 years in British hands & counting.
You're not supporting Arsenal anymore tho, you're supporting the CDMs. The only similarities between the two are they play a game called football somewhere in North London. The Arsenal bit is just a meaningless name they play under. And yes it applies to most clubs which is why I don't really care apart from when a generally English side plays against a foreign outfit.

Woodster

International Captain
can see it happening quite easily...Gayle, hussey and mcullum offer more added value than Ponting and Shoaib's pretty much certain to be picked if fit i reckon. Added to the fact Ponting will probably be missing part of the tournament which will give these guys time to make their mark, i can see him finding it hard to get in there.
Can't agree that those players offer more value than Ponting. The fact the game is more about walloping the ball perhaps reduces the gulf in class as the other players games are more centred around this. However, Ponting will still excel, imo. Quality players like Ponting can adjust their game to suit.