Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Waugh, Border or Ponting?

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Who would I rather captain me? Border
    That's true, except moreso I'd rather select Border as the Captain then have Captain Cranky AS my captain and on my case.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Rahane 7. De Kock+ 8.Johnson 9.Steyn 10. Herath 11. Roach

I want West Indies to be competitive again

I have always loved how comparable these 3 are.

One thing that interests me the most is whether those same people that had Ponting as the #1 bat back when this thread was made in 2008 would still have him #1 now. In theory they should, but I wonder if people had him #1 then on what he had done PLUS the fact he had 3-5 years left in him, and not on his career up to that point. Really interesting whether his decline would affect people's views on him.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

One thing that interests me the most is whether those same people that had Ponting as the #1 bat back when this thread was made in 2008 would still have him #1 now. In theory they should, but I wonder if people had him #1 then on what he had done PLUS the fact he had 3-5 years left in him, and not on his career up to that point. Really interesting whether his decline would affect people's views on him.
    I still rank Ponting ahead of the other two Always makes my first Australian XI.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar

Presumerbly, if you picking someone to 'bat for you' then you are not going to pick them from a time when they are old and out of form, or straight out of Sheffield Shield cricket and na´ve.

Surely the assumption is: Steve Waugh (circa 93-95), Border (circa 82-84), and Ponting (circa 99-01).
    kyear2 likes this.

nah i'd wanna keep it interesting, if you picked those blokes on their peaks to bat for your life it would be pretty boring
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Presumerbly
    woah

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    woah
    Yeah, that's almost as bad as probly. Sorry.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Ponting. All three greats, obviously but I think the reason I would prefer to have Ponting in my side is that at his peak, he could do what Border and Waugh did, which is grit out tough situations and rescue his team from trouble. But I'm not sure they would be able to do what Ponting did so frequently, which is change gears, dominate attacks and shift momentum quickly towards your team. Ponting is the more complete batsman
    Geoffboycott and kyear2 like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Ponting even at his peak was getting owned by Bhajji. I am not aware of the other two being bunnies at their peak
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

AB has mentioned on air a few times over the years that he used to keep getting out to Danny Morrison. I'm confident it wasn't Harby to Ponting in India like, but just bringing up a name.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    AB had a particular bunny, Marshall. Mind you, y'know, it's Marshall so don't really count but AB struggled with just about any slo-med swing bowler bringing the ball back late in his career. Ben Johnson nabbed him several times, FFS.

Don't remember Steve Waugh having any guys making him their bunny. Struggled on occasion with some great bowlers but would have taken at least one ton off Ambrose, Wasim, etc. too.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 11-09-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Can't have been too big of bunny comparison, given Johnson was at the very end of Border's career. He did fall to Marshall 11 times. The same amount of times Waugh fell to Ambrose. Waugh until the end of Marshall's career averaged 36, and 44 at the end of Ambrose's career. Border averaged 40 at the end of Marshall's career and 39 at the end of his own against the West Indies. Both Waugh and Border had exceptionally good series' against them at times averaging very high numbers.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information