• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in the West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wonderful for Trinidad to experience that winning feeling again. Hasn't been the greatest venue over recent years.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL deservedly losing the series, West Indies can count on Umpiring and weather to have helped them here....But SL are pretty average these days, I expect Bangladesh and Zimbabwe to beat them later in the year (with Bayliss continuing to be absolutely useless)if Murali and Vaas give those series a miss...

I expect SL to get thrashed at home in a few months time by India for a clean white wash in both Tests and ODIs ...:)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am happy for the West Indians to rejoice here because they will be brought down to earth pretty quickly as the Aussies are getting there next and a thumping from the Aussies is on the cards...so let them celebrate now :laugh:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Expecting to lose to Australia. At worst I want fighting efforts in all the Tests. ODIs I expect WI to be competitive.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I am happy for the West Indians to rejoice here because they will be brought down to earth pretty quickly as the Aussies are getting there next and a thumping from the Aussies is on the cards...so let them celebrate now :laugh:
Dire. That said, I admire the way you try to hide the fact that you're just a sore loser.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you are overstating Sri Lanka's ordinariness and understating the West Indies improvement.

I think the West Indians can definitely back themselves to nick one ODi and probably forcea a drwa in one of the tests even if they lose one or both of the other two by an inningss, while with Sri Lanka first of all they will be so all over the Zimbabwe bowling that it won't matter what the Zimababwe batting does, while the Bangladesh batting for all its talents will as usual break and will not show the necessary compactness to set meaningful targets or chases.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
That umpiring that got ride of Sarwan (when it looked high) wasn't the most helpful, actually.
and the plumb LBW of Samuels...
I won't go into the numerous ordinary umpiring decisions in the Second Test and ODIs ....I did say SL played ordinarily and deservedly lost the series, but obviously your blinkered eyes missed it completely and went into ranting mode about my being a sore loser...

Mr Mxyzptlk

I won't go into the numerous ordinary umpiring decisions in the Second Test and ODIs ....I did say SL played ordinarily and deservedly lost the series, but obviously your blinkered eyes missed it completely and went into ranting mode about my being a sore loser...
1 for and 1 against. And Sarwan > Samuels. So how exactly did the umpires favour West Indies? And now you're citing Test matches? Need I remind you of a Mr. Sarwan and Mr. Hinds and the decisions they received when West Indies were in good shape to draw the first Test? But oh, Sri Lanka won that match, so fair enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jason, you always make excuses for SL with umpiring, and then bag the SL team yourself.

You're annoying.

Lostman

State Captain
Really dont know how you can complain about the umpiring when we got a few helpful ones in the 1st test.
and stop with the constant whining its annoying.

Anyway congrats to the WI.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
1 for and 1 against. And Sarwan > Samuels. So how exactly did the umpires favour West Indies? And now you're citing Test matches? Need I remind you of a Mr. Sarwan and Mr. Hinds and the decisions they received when West Indies were in good shape to draw the first Test? But oh, Sri Lanka won that match, so fair enough.
Look man, I was referring to this second ODI which you have to be pretty daft to not admit that weather was a major factor and combined with the Umpiring decisions made it lopsided...And since you brought this issue of Umpiring I thought you needed to be reminded about the Umpiring frailties that contributed to results going way beyond close results....

Anyway I had already said repeatedly SL were playing poor Cricket ...you then ranted about being a sore loser etc etc..

Anyway I am going to stop this right here ....

Mr Mxyzptlk

There were two notable umpiring mistakes in the second ODI. And one was against the West Indies and, at that stage, potentially more crucial. You can't keep changing your story either. You brought up the umpiring in the Tests, not I.

Regarding the weather, yes Sri Lanka were unfortunate. But they hardly batted like a team anticipating a rain-shortened match. And given that everyone at that ground, watching on TV and commentating on the game knew that the weather would intervene, it wasn't exactly a rocket-science moment for Sri Lanka. But yes, clearly I'm the one with the blinkers on.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So how long till West Indies jump ahead of Sri Lanka to 7th in ODIs and we find ourselves in our rightful spot of 8th in world?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Would have to pull a couple out against Australia, so it probably won't happen for a good long time yet. And Sri Lanka (with Murali) is still better than West Indies.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Would have to pull a couple out against Australia, so it probably won't happen for a good long time yet. And Sri Lanka (with Murali) is still better than West Indies.
Considering the way the West Indies batsmen played Murali I'm not sure about that anymore. It been a long time now, since Murali bowled anywhere near what he is capable of.

JBH001

International Regular
Perhaps the great man is finally entering the twilight years of his superlative career?

After all, he is almost 36, been playing since 91/92 (I think Sachin is his only contemporary left), and iirc recently passed 40,000 balls in tests, not to mention the many he has bowled in ODI's or the injuries (especially to his shoulder) he has copped over the years. I think he has a year, perhaps two, left in him. I do hope however, that he goes out on his own terms and does not try to hang on for too long.

Top_Cat

Perhaps the great man is finally entering the twilight years of his superlative career?

After all, he is almost 36, been playing since 91/92 (I think Sachin is his only contemporary left), and iirc recently passed 40,000 balls in tests, not to mention the many he has bowled in ODI's or the injuries (especially to his shoulder) he has copped over the years. I think he has a year, perhaps two, left in him. I do hope however, that he goes out on his own terms and does not try to hang on for too long.
I think that's about right. He hasn't bowled well for some time which is why all this talk about 1000+ wickets was ridiculous. He's now number 1 so his motivation to keep going would be diminished quite a bit. His bowling definitely lacked zip in Australia. A key indicator of his motivation might be that he knocked over Ponting a couple of times but didn't take many more wickets. He can still psych himself up for the big fight with a champion like Punter but might be struggling for motivation to knock over the others.