• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in the West Indies

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I would make a few amendments, Mohammed in for Sammy, Ramdin over Browne, Chanderpaul to bat at four, Samuels at five and finally either Powell or Edwards to be dropped for Collins.
The spin cupboard in the caribbean is pretty average ATM, but i definately would not pick Mohammed based on what i've seen of him on the international stage he doesn't look like he would run through many sides. The spinner in the WI ATM from what i understand is Amit Jaggernaut but then again i reckon the WI are better off sticking to what bests for them in their pacemen.

Ramdin/Browne is pretty close ATM i feel. Ramdin hasn't cashed in alot with the bat since 2005 while his keeping after going through a rough patch has tightened up again, but with Browne's emergence as an obviously more technical sound batsman than him with on par keeping skills, Ramdin's unchallenged ride in the side is over.

Agreed Collins should be in that side, gives them some control, but Powell/Taylor/Edwards looked impressive in SA, so if anyone is to be dropped maybe Edwards since he tends to be the most eratic of the trio that played in SA recently.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, would probably stick with Ganga for now, and would bat Chanderpaul at four, Samuels at five.

Ramdin still edges it for me. Depeneding on pitches, I may also consider an extra batsman and move Bravo to seven. Just a thought. My experiment side may look a little like this :

1. Gayle
2. Ganga
3. Sarwan
4. Chanderpaul
5. Samuels
6. Hinds R, Morton, etc
7. Bravo
8. Ramdin
9. Taylor
10. Powell
11. Edwards

Think this gives the side a much deeper batting depth, while can still boast a bowling attack of Powell, Taylor, Edwards, Bravo, Gayle, Hinds (possibly).
Hinds would be a good option here no doubt, but is he ready for test cricket ATM, didn't seem so when i saw him when vs ENG in 04, but he has the talent.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
SL at it's lowest is much stronger than WI. SL have a brittle batting line up, but one good innigs from Sanga and Mahela will give them a good score to ball against WIndies. With the form that SL bowlers are in (except Murali, who is in a bad patch) WIndies batsman are in for a real testing series. SL bowlers are so different to each other, swing bowlers, slingers, fast bowlers and seam bowlers, you have evry variety.
WI have those types of bowlers too ya know. Collins swings it. Edwards is a slinger. Taylor's a fast bowler. And I'm pretty sure Sammy can be considered a seam bowler. 8-)
Yeah but I think the point is more the fact that we have a better bowling attack to make the most of varietys. Well atleast on paper, performance wise over the last couple months they would be on par.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I've been thinking about this since SL lost the ODI series against England in Sri Lanka late last year. The Australian summer has just confirmed it. The rapid decline of SL since the high of last years World Cup and tours of England and New Zealand has been stunning.

The squad for West Indies is baffling. You would think that WI tour, with it's friendly conditions and relatively weak opposition, provide an opportunity to blood some new players and rest some weary legs (ie Vaas/Murali/Dilshan). There are a few obligatory selections which I welcome (Warnapura/Thushara) but how on earth does Samaraweera a run? It's a perfect illustration of why SL is in free fall.

I can't quite work out what went wrong, though I've got plenty of ideas. But whats more worrying is the bleak future ahead. I haven't been able to follow SL domestic cricket for some time, so I'm not sure just how empty the cupboards are. What can SL cricket fans look forward to?
When it comes to depth their is some talent coming through. The SCC trio of Paranavitana, JK Silva and Kandamby are starting to find their feet in domestic and don't look too far off International cricket. Kandamby in particular has been in amazing form.

I mentioned before that all rounders Matthews and Kosela Kulasekara are starting to find their feet at FC level and producing some really good performances with the bat atleast. Both are a bit up and down with the ball.

There are also a couple opening batsmen who are showing some promise in Udawatte, Kanchana Gunawardene and Nawela. Udawatte looks the closest to being at International level but still is quite hit and miss.

Bowling wise Ajantha Mendis has been the pick of bowlers, but he not much more then a nude bowler and has just been dominating the poor batting line ups for Tier B. Spinners Sachithra Senanayake and Chanaka Komasaru have looked quite good this season, with Senanayake showing some real positive signs in his first full season. Not many young seamers really putting their hand up though. Thurshara and Kulasekara have probably been the pick, but have been a bit inconsistent.

Can't understand though why you would consider resting Dilshan, he just came back into the Test side. Samaraweera deserves his spot, he has been by far the best batsmen in domestic cricket this season. I actually think there is pretty good balance between youth and experience in the squad.

Also with the selection of experienced rookies like Thurshara, Amersinghe, Warnapura and previously Silva and Vandort. I think in Test cricket atleast guys are going to have to perform a lot more in domestic cricket before they get selected. No point selecting some on potential when they aren't ready yet. Just look what happened to Tharanga and potentially Kapu.

It is all about balance. No doubt there is talent coming through. But majority are a season or two away from being ready for International cricket. Unless they are putting up some massive numbers like Kandamby they are probably better off waiting unless they truelly are the best option like Udawatte, Kulasekara or Matthews. But the fact those guys are best option has more to do with lack of options in those positions, not the fact they are ready.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
The spin cupboard in the caribbean is pretty average ATM, but i definately would not pick Mohammed based on what i've seen of him on the international stage he doesn't look like he would run through many sides. The spinner in the WI ATM from what i understand is Amit Jaggernaut but then again i reckon the WI are better off sticking to what bests for them in their pacemen.

Ramdin/Browne is pretty close ATM i feel. Ramdin hasn't cashed in alot with the bat since 2005 while his keeping after going through a rough patch has tightened up again, but with Browne's emergence as an obviously more technical sound batsman than him with on par keeping skills, Ramdin's unchallenged ride in the side is over.

Agreed Collins should be in that side, gives them some control, but Powell/Taylor/Edwards looked impressive in SA, so if anyone is to be dropped maybe Edwards since he tends to be the most eratic of the trio that played in SA recently.
I'd drop Powell not Edwards. Also, Mohammed is better than Jaggernauth. Spin cupboard seems average because they don't get much of a chance when in actuality spinners have been dominating amongst bowlers for the last few years at least.
Yeah but I think the point is more the fact that we have a better bowling attack to make the most of varietys. Well atleast on paper, performance wise over the last couple months they would be on par.
May be true but he made an ignorant statement.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, in one test, the other times it was Taylor on his lonesome.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
True Powell always starts well then fades away. He's 29 now IIRC and won't get much better. Replace him with someone more experienced and better like Collins or someone younger and better like Lawson, although looks unlikely for him in this series as he's a Kolpak now.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies spin options are a lot better then they look. Most seem to out bowl the seamers in domestic cricket. It just they never seem to get a chance at International level and when they do, they are poorly used.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
When it comes to depth their is some talent coming through. The SCC trio of Paranavitana, JK Silva and Kandamby are starting to find their feet in domestic and don't look too far off International cricket. Kandamby in particular has been in amazing form.

I mentioned before that all rounders Matthews and Kosela Kulasekara are starting to find their feet at FC level and producing some really good performances with the bat atleast. Both are a bit up and down with the ball.

There are also a couple opening batsmen who are showing some promise in Udawatte, Kanchana Gunawardene and Nawela. Udawatte looks the closest to being at International level but still is quite hit and miss.

Bowling wise Ajantha Mendis has been the pick of bowlers, but he not much more then a nude bowler and has just been dominating the poor batting line ups for Tier B. Spinners Sachithra Senanayake and Chanaka Komasaru have looked quite good this season, with Senanayake showing some real positive signs in his first full season. Not many young seamers really putting their hand up though. Thurshara and Kulasekara have probably been the pick, but have been a bit inconsistent.

Can't understand though why you would consider resting Dilshan, he just came back into the Test side. Samaraweera deserves his spot, he has been by far the best batsmen in domestic cricket this season. I actually think there is pretty good balance between youth and experience in the squad.

Also with the selection of experienced rookies like Thurshara, Amersinghe, Warnapura and previously Silva and Vandort. I think in Test cricket atleast guys are going to have to perform a lot more in domestic cricket before they get selected. No point selecting some on potential when they aren't ready yet. Just look what happened to Tharanga and potentially Kapu.

It is all about balance. No doubt there is talent coming through. But majority are a season or two away from being ready for International cricket. Unless they are putting up some massive numbers like Kandamby they are probably better off waiting unless they truelly are the best option like Udawatte, Kulasekara or Matthews. But the fact those guys are best option has more to do with lack of options in those positions, not the fact they are ready.
Good post.

I’m not talking about giving young players extended runs, but a WI tour and future ones against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, are ones to give potential talent a chance.

I've previously wanted Dilshan in Test squads, but now I'm a bit indifferent to him. He certainly isn't getting any younger or more consistent. I'd prefer to see new blood for the WI tour. If we were touring Australia or South Africa, I'd say differently. Samaraweera on the other hand is 107.4% useless and there no scenario in which I'd have him suit up for Sri Lanka again. He got his reward for consistency in Australia and he failed spectacularly. He is too old to continue offering chances to.

I caught a couple of u19 WC games on ESPN, there looks to be a couple of interesting players there. Sachith Pathirana in particular looks to b e a gun. The fast bowling stocks though look pretty poor.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You make it sound like Dilshan and Samaraweera are in their mid to late 30s. Dilshan and Samaraweera are only 31. Some guys only make their International debuts at that age. From what they showed at domestic level, they actually look like both are improving as batsmen, not declining.

You don't drop guys who are averaging near 40, something most batsmen in Sri Lanka's history have failed to do because they might have failed against the best attack in world. If they consistently under perform at Test level and guys below them are out performing them, then fair enough. But both have dominated domestic cricket and showed signs of improvements and are still young with five or so years left in International Cricket.

Also West Indies aren't a side you bring in youngsters for the sake of it, unless they are performing at domestic level. They are a lot better side then what they have been in the recent past. Their performances in the South Africa showed that.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Should be a vey interesting series. I don't expect any tests to make it far into day five. Both rather brittle batting lineups depending heavily on two or three players. I think Murali may be the difference here.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
You make it sound like Dilshan and Samaraweera are in their mid to late 30s. Dilshan and Samaraweera are only 31. Some guys only make their International debuts at that age. From what they showed at domestic level, they actually look like both are improving as batsmen, not declining.
Samaraweera is 32. 32 is okay to debut for your country. But not so for a player who has been afforded as many opportunities as Samaraweera.

The game in SL is in disarray is because we carried has-beens and non-performers till the day they chose otherwise or their selection was no longer politically desirable. This is the cause the problem we face now. Young players are being thrown into the deep without a safety net. Tharanga, Perera, Silva and to a lesser extent Kapugedra, have all failed completely the CB series. But are no consequences for these players or the selectors. Why? Because there simply are no experienced hands left in SL who could replace them even if we wanted to.

You don't drop guys who are averaging near 40, something most batsmen in Sri Lanka's history have failed to do because they might have failed against the best attack in world. If they consistently under perform at Test level and guys below them are out performing them, then fair enough. But both have dominated domestic cricket and showed signs of improvements and are still young with five or so years left in International Cricket.
Samaraweera's career average is duplicitous and you know it. He averages 25.53 outside of Sri Lanka. He has 0 centuries and 4 half-centuries outside the subcontinent and only 1 century away from Sri Lanka. Moreover his record is highly inflated by his scores against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Also I don't know how much weight I'd put to SL domestic records. Sure they are important but for mine failures at international level are far more telling of a player’s ability. And from all accounts, SL domestic cricket has been a debacle for many years (though signs are apparently heartening with this new provincial system though).

Also West Indies aren't a side you bring in youngsters for the sake of it, unless they are performing at domestic level. They are a lot better side then what they have been in the recent past. Their performances in the South Africa showed that.
It’s not about bringing in youngsters for the sake of it; it’s to develop a nucleus of players with whom SL can look to in future.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samaraweera is 32. 32 is okay to debut for your country. But not so for a player who has been afforded as many opportunities as Samaraweera.
Cricinfo say 31: "Current age 31 years 162 days"

The game in SL is in disarray is because we carried has-beens and non-performers till the day they chose otherwise or their selection was no longer politically desirable. This is the cause the problem we face now. Young players are being thrown into the deep without a safety net. Tharanga, Perera, Silva and to a lesser extent Kapugedra, have all failed completely the CB series. But are no consequences for these players or the selectors. Why? Because there simply are no experienced hands left in SL who could replace them even if we wanted to.
You say there is no experienced hands to replace them, but the top performances in domestic cricket over the last couple season have been the likes of Lanka De Silva, Sajith Fernando, Dilshan, Warnupura and Avishka Gunawardene. But the belief is in Sri Lanka cricket that once a player is 30, they are too old and we should just pick some young 20 year old. Even if they are not even close being ready for International Cricket. If we keep using this policy we are going to get no where as a national. We will just have a bunch of late 20s or early 30 yo who are seen as has beens, cus they got picked before they were ready.

Samaraweera's career average is duplicitous and you know it. He averages 25.53 outside of Sri Lanka. He has 0 centuries and 4 half-centuries outside the subcontinent and only 1 century away from Sri Lanka. Moreover his record is highly inflated by his scores against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.
Yeah we all know his record away from home, but really most Sri Lankan batsmen have had similar records at the same stage in their career. The only way this issue will be solved is by having more A tours away from home. It not going to help the issue if we pick guys like Kandamby and Kupugedera who have the same issue away from just playing for Sri Lanka A. Until they solve their own issue away from home for the A team, your better of selecting someone who showing signs of improving those areas that have effected him away from home at domestic level.

Also I don't know how much weight I'd put to SL domestic records. Sure they are important but for mine failures at international level are far more telling of a player’s ability. And from all accounts, SL domestic cricket has been a debacle for many years (though signs are apparently heartening with this new provincial system though).
There has been some significant improvement in domestic cricket, in terms of quality of cricket with more clubs having money to spend on players. Which in turn has improved the depth. The pitches are still useless, but the quality is quite good these days. The provincial series was a bit hit and miss as the players weren't still getting used to playing with each and they were producing there best cricket. The domestic cricket probably has been of better standard from all reports.

It’s not about bringing in youngsters for the sake of it; it’s to develop a nucleus of players with whom SL can look to in future.
Again guys like Dilshan and Samaraweera can still be the nucleus of the side for another 5 years. There no point trying to build a side for 10 years time, when majority of players aren't ready. The two guys they have kept of in theory are Kandamby and Kapu. I'm a massive fan of Kapu, but the guy hasn't scored any regular runs at any level outside youth cricket. He really needs to some performances on the board before getting recall the Test side. Don't have a major issue with him being in the OD squad, as we have less options in that form. With the likes of Vandort, Warnpura and Samaraweera always going to be Test specialist. With regard to Kandamby, this is his first season that he scored runs consistently. You shouldn't be selecting anyone on the basic of one good season, really you need a lot more consistency then that to be selected of NT side.

Last edited:

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
West Indies spin options are a lot better then they look. Most seem to out bowl the seamers in domestic cricket. It just they never seem to get a chance at International level and when they do, they are poorly used.
I wonder if they're worse than they look - assuming that what you're looking at is domestic statistics - and prosper in domestic cricket largely because most batsmen are clueless against spin. The fact that they outbowl the seamers is damning them with faint praise given the generally ineffective test match performances of the seamers in question.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah thats the big thing with the spinners in West Indies, they never get a fair go. Even when they play, they never get a decent ball and when they do all they asked to do is keep a end tight. Whereas in domestic cricket most are used as attacking options and perform at their best in that style. But then you get some seamer who keep getting selected regardless of the fact they average 40 odd in Test and are overall as ineffective. IMO someone like Dave Mohammed could be the Windies best bowler if he got a decent run and got used properly.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Having Samaraweera is a bit of a handy-cap for fielding. Unless he has a spectacular season, I am more with Chamara Silva to bat in that position.

Samaraweera was a top class all rounder in FC, but somebody killed his bowling.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Having Samaraweera is a bit of a handy-cap for fielding. Unless he has a spectacular season, I am more with Chamara Silva to bat in that position.

Samaraweera was a top class all rounder in FC, but somebody killed his bowling.
Injuries I here...

Kills most batting all rounders bowling. Reckon the FBI should put it on the 10 most wanted list.

Dazza_20

Cricket Spectator
Can't believe why the selectors didn't pick Kaushal Silva for the Windies tour. Such a good young talent who is currently 108 not out for SSC.

Sangakkara is 211 not out for NCC.