• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in the West Indies

chalky

International Debutant
Sarwan out at 3 still no Gayle. I've never seen an opening batsmen being protected before

edit: apart From Greame Smith against England a few years back

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sarwan out at 3 still no Gayle. I've never seen an opening batsmen being protected before

Exactly what it reminded me of. Captain and ppening batsman utterly unable to tackle opening bowler. Runs away.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think you will find that he was held back a fair bit this match. As Jayawardene asked him to concentrate on line and line over pace. This is probably the most economical I have ever seen him bowl and his who career. I doubt we will see him bowl anywhere near his full pace until the OD series when he was more confidence.
You just said that he can't bowl at full pace without getting injured, because he's not built for it. Make up your mind.
Yes, but he could still break down in 1,2,3. Just doesn't have the build to go with pace he can bowl.
Hardly capable of bowling fast then.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Gayle’s did it just recently (domestically) in the 20/20. He couldn’t the hit ball of the square for Jamaica and was seen as liability against the new ball so he dropped himself down.

Think its pretty good thinking tbh. Murali made Bravo look like a complete idiot yesterday whilst; Gayle can not buy a run against Vaas - So to correct that just swap.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Exactly what it reminded me of. Captain and ppening batsman utterly unable to tackle opening bowler. Runs away.
A bit cowardly, but for all the courage in the world, Gayle may never be able to handle Vaas with the new ball. And Bravo doesn't look great against Murali. In that way, it makes sense.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Gayle’s did it just recently domestically in the 20/20. He couldn’t the hit ball of the square for Jamaica and was seen as liability against the new ball so he dropped himself down.

Think its pretty good thinking tbh. Murali made Bravo look like a complete idiot yesterday whilst ,Gayle can not buy a run against Vaas, so to correct that just swap.
Damn you for beating me to my point. I hate my wireless connection.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Understand that but his had this weakness for years and his hardly going to be able to change that overnight. It undermines Gayle’s 'machismo' but at the end of the day its thinking on your feet and not being dogmatic about your game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Understand that but his had this weakness for years and his hardly going to be able to change that overnight. It undermines Gayle’s 'machismo' but at the end of the day its thinking on your feet and not being dogmatic about your game.
Agreed. A tactical retreat is nevertheless still a retreat!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wow! WI going all out for the win. This is great to see a team not going into a shell. If they end the day just one down, tomorrow will be such a fantastic day.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Sarwan and Chanders are the key (combined). The last time we chased over 400 (record chase against Australia) they scored hundreds. Good to see Bravo in form too. I love it when he gets opportunities at the top of the order in any form of cricket. He got going against Mirando and get enough confidence to handle Muralia nicely. A couple of tense moments, but largely an excellent effort thus far.

Intrigued. Not at all confident though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sarwan and Chanders are the key (combined). The last time we chased over 400 (record chase against Australia) they scored hundreds. Good to see Bravo in form too. I love it when he gets opportunities at the top of the order in any form of cricket. He got going against Mirando and get enough confidence to handle Muralia nicely. A couple of tense moments, but largely an excellent effort thus far.

Intrigued. Not at all confident though.
Yes, I wouldn't say they are going to win it by any stretch, but they seem to be in the right frame of mind.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good stuff by Bravo and Sarwan. Sri Lanka will be sweating tonight for the wicket is an absolute road.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I wouldn't say they are going to win it by any stretch, but they seem to be in the right frame of mind.
If the West Indies bat out 90 overs tomorrow the only thing they should do is win the game. Unless Chanderpaul thinks a 200 ball 50 is the right approach.

Woodster

International Captain
Should be an excellent day tomorrow and very interesting. Odds still heavily stacked in SL's favour, but there doesn't look much happening in the track at all. Murali, I still feel will have a big say tomorrow, although Sarwan and Bravo played him decently today.

JBH001

International Regular
Murali (and Herath) will have to look to flight to win it, if the pitch is as slow as people say.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well when you had the injuries Thushara had throughout his career. This is about the first season in three seasons that he hasn't had an injury and only 2nd season since his Test debut. Your always going to bowl within yourself, even if you feel you feel close to full fitness.

An example is Mitchell Johnson who hard a similar injury run prior to getting selected for the national team. When he first came on the scene he was only bowling high 130s and low 140s. It really wasn't until this season he started consistently reaching mid to high 140s. Basically he needed two full seasons of fitness before he could reach he full pace again.

It is likely that he hasn't pushed himself anywhere near his full pace and probably wont until he gained some confidence in his body and his own ability at this level. When you consider what he has gone through his career. It is unrealistic that he would go out in his first Test in five years and 2nd Test overall and just let rip. Even if Jayawardene told him to go all out. For most players who have had injuries like he has had, it always going to take a couple matches atleast to really start to bend your back.

I'm not too worried at all if doesn't hit mid 140s, this series. It is all about confidence right now and he will probably get more out of this series by learning how to bowl effectively at this level without pace. Cus he has the confidence to start bowling at his optimium pace he will gain more from this. Really it is bit harsh to judge someones pace after his 2nd Test, when you take into account the journey he had to get here.
Good points. I to be honest, I never realized he was supposed to be express. I remember Good points particularly circa Mitchell Johnson. To be honest, I never realized he was supposed to be express. I remember hearing about him being quick, but I assumed it was the usual Sri Lankan hyperbole when any of our blokes clock above 135km.

I haven't actually seen him bowl, what’s his action like and does he look likely to be something special? Additionally, any youtube footage will be much appreciated.