• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in the West Indies

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If he can't bowl at 90+mph without breaking down, he simply cannot be considered a 90+mph bowler. He was being hailed as quicker than Taylor, and while Taylor hasn't had a very quick match thus far, Mirando doesn't look anywhere near as quick. This considering that Taylor can bowl at 90mph without breaking down.

Mirando is not a fast bowler. Fast-medium at best.
I think you will find that he was held back a fair bit this match. As Jayawardene asked him to concentrate on line and line over pace. This is probably the most economical I have ever seen him bowl and his who career. I doubt we will see him bowl anywhere near his full pace until the OD series when he was more confidence.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
This is something I never understand. If a bowler is being apparently asked to slow down and slow down, then surely an effort ball will come out at full pace, but he hasn't appeared to go above 83mph, in the few overs I have seen him bowl in.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
This is something I never understand. If a bowler is being apparently asked to slow down and slow down, then surely an effort ball will come out at full pace, but he hasn't appeared to go above 83mph, in the few overs I have seen him bowl in.
Well when you had the injuries Thushara had throughout his career. This is about the first season in three seasons that he hasn't had an injury and only 2nd season since his Test debut. Your always going to bowl within yourself, even if you feel you feel close to full fitness.

An example is Mitchell Johnson who hard a similar injury run prior to getting selected for the national team. When he first came on the scene he was only bowling high 130s and low 140s. It really wasn't until this season he started consistently reaching mid to high 140s. Basically he needed two full seasons of fitness before he could reach he full pace again.

It is likely that he hasn't pushed himself anywhere near his full pace and probably wont until he gained some confidence in his body and his own ability at this level. When you consider what he has gone through his career. It is unrealistic that he would go out in his first Test in five years and 2nd Test overall and just let rip. Even if Jayawardene told him to go all out. For most players who have had injuries like he has had, it always going to take a couple matches atleast to really start to bend your back.

I'm not too worried at all if doesn't hit mid 140s, this series. It is all about confidence right now and he will probably get more out of this series by learning how to bowl effectively at this level without pace. Cus he has the confidence to start bowling at his optimium pace he will gain more from this. Really it is bit harsh to judge someones pace after his 2nd Test, when you take into account the journey he had to get here.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Your always going to bowl within yourself, even if you feel you feel close to full fitness.
When you put it like that, it does make some sense. Perhaps another factor is that the muscles are still weak after injury so they cannot push him so far. It is just unusual to see the effort ball ("blwah") at just 83mph for someone who used to push 90mph, though. When Brett Lee comes back from injury, he is usually just 5kph (on average) away from the speed he will reach at full fitness, whereas Thushara seems to be about 10-15kph below that. I guess only time will tell to see if he will realise his pace again.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not too worried at all if doesn't hit mid 140s, this series. It is all about confidence right now and he will probably get more out of this series by learning how to bowl effectively at this level without pace. Cus he has the confidence to start bowling at his optimium pace he will gain more from this. Really it is bit harsh to judge someones pace after his 2nd Test, when you take into account the journey he had to get here.
I'm certainly not judging him, just making an observation interspliced with a question:cool:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What do you think - declare with about 15 overs to go tonight? Should have a lead of 400+ by then. Unless of course WI really pull off something great before then.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What do you think - declare with about 15 overs to go tonight? Should have a lead of 400+ by then. Unless of course WI really pull off something great before then.
Yeah, Sri Lanka needs at least an hour tonight min. Wicket is still ridiculously flat, new ball hasn’t done anything all game and the turn whilst appreciable at times has been so slow that the batsman have had all the time in the world to adjust. Really has been a terrible test surface that's only been given life due to the West Indies incompetence with the bat.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sri Lanka's RR is very good - they should be able to declare in about 15-20 overs, with the lead being about 420-430. Having twenty overs tonight would be very helpful.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm, 382 at tea. What do you guys think? Declare at 420? Or push until 450?

I say 420 is enough, and it'll give them about 20 overs to bowl at them, which means Murali can start becoming a factor.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They're at 420 now and just lost a wicket - no point in continuing. You want Murali to get a few good overs in with a ball thats getting old. He could be waiting on Samaraweera to get his fifty though, which is fair enough, but that should be it after that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Night watchman as opener? Was Gayle out in the field before SL declared?
Yes, he bowled the last over, in fact. It's a bit early for nightwatchman, no? Twenty overs left - plus Bravo is hardly a true nightwatchman. He averages 32, so he is a useful bat in his own right.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No idea then.

Would be awesome if this somehow unintentionally paid off and Bravo tonned up and won it for WI.