• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New ACB Contracts :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The ACB today announced that the National Selection Panel had selected the 25
players to be contracted by the Board for the next 12 months.

The players are:
MICHAEL BEVAN NSW, age 32
ANDY BICHEL QLD, age 32
NATHAN BRACKEN NSW, age 25
MICHAEL CLARKE NSW, age 22
ADAM GILCHRIST WA, age 31
JASON GILLESPIE SA, age 28
IAN HARVEY VIC age 31
NATHAN HAURITZ QLD age 21
MATTHEW HAYDEN QLD, age 31
BRAD HOGG WA, age 32
JUSTIN LANGER WA, age 32
BRETT LEE NSW, age 26
DARREN LEHMANN SA, age 33
MARTIN LOVE QLD, age 29
STUART MacGILL NSW, age 32
GLENN McGRATH NSW, age 33
JIMMY MAHER QLD, age 29
DAMIEN MARTYN WA, age 31
ASHLEY NOFFKE QLD, age 25
RICKY PONTING TAS, age 28
ANDREW SYMONDS QLD, age 27
SHANE WARNE VIC, age 33
SHANE WATSON TAS, age 21
STEPHEN WAUGH NSW, age 37
BRAD WILLIAMS WA, age 28

New South Wales Blues batsman Michael Clarke has been offered his first ACB
contract.

Queensland Bulls paceman Ashley Noffke will accept his second contract, after
being on the list in 2001-02 and Western Warriors spinner Brad Hogg gets his
first full-year contract, after being upgraded to contracted status during the
2002-03 season.

Retired Australian batsman Mark Waugh, his New South Wales teammate Stuart Clark
and Western Australian batsman Michael Hussey have not been offered new
contracts.

The contracted players are paid a base retainer, which is levelled according to
a player ranking system decided by the National Selection Panel. Each player
also receives match fees, tour fees and prize money for on-field success.

Under a formula agreed with the Australian Cricketers’ Association as part of
the 2001 – 2005 Memorandum of Understanding, the minimum retainer in 2003-04 is
$125,000, up $15,000 from last year.

Match fees for 2003-04 have been increased by 10 per cent, and players will
receive $12,100 for each Test and $4850 for each one-day international.

Clarke’s form for the New South Wales Blues in 2002-03 (763 Pura Cup and 385 ING
Cup runs) helped him secure a spot in the Australian one-day international side
that played England in Adelaide on 19 January 2003. He made 39 not out in that
match.

The 22-year-old is currently on the Travelex Tour of the West Indies as cover
for the injured Damien Martyn.

The National Selection Panel, which comprises former Australian players Trevor
Hohns (Chairman), David Boon, Allan Border and Andrew Hilditch, nominate the 25
players based on two primary criteria:

• the form of the players over the past 12 months; and

• their likelihood of Australian selection over the next 12 months taking into
account who Australia plays, balance of the side and the need to ensure the
future development of the Test and one-day international teams.

The contracted players are the core group from which selectors will choose Test
and one-day international sides in the year ahead. Uncontracted players remain
eligible for Australian selection and can be upgraded to an ACB contract if they
gain regular selection.

Following the announcement of the ACB’s contracted players, state cricket
associations are now able to form their lists for season 2003-04.

-Ends-

Australian Cricket Board

good to see Clarke, Noffke and Bracken retained/got a first contracts, along with what would be more conrrovertial contracts in Warne and Watson, not sure warne gets any money till his ban is over and Watson is unlikley to play even grade cricket till the season is nearly over

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe Warne's contract is so they can keep him under control, and refuse him the chance to play for Lashings etc.?

Watson's - perhaps to ensure he gets medical treatment of the best possible level?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I thouht Love was about 21 not 29.

I don't really follow domestic cricket in AUS and I have never really heard of Ashley Noffke. Whats he like???

I think Australia have a problem in the near future. Alot of these players are over 30. Not alot of time left in their cricket lifes.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Noffke is quality, took 6-24 vs NSW (removing Mail, Slater, Katich, S Waugh, M Clarke and B haddin) -- also removed S Waugh and Slater again in teh 2nd innings of that match

37 wickets at 21.48 for the season in 4 day

good line and length, a little similar to gillespie i think

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tamara said:

I don't really follow domestic cricket in AUS and I have never really heard of Ashley Noffke. Whats he like???

I think Australia have a problem in the near future. Alot of these players are over 30. Not alot of time left in their cricket lifes.
Love's been playing for ages, I think he played more FC Matches than any other Australian player before making his debut or something.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Tamara said:

Noffke is a gun bowler.

Australia doesn't have a problem with the future.

Australia has the best set up at the moment and will be a strong force for a long time to come.

I know the squad looks old, but that is because we dont blood players just for the sake of doing it. Very few players are playing FC cricket before 21, and very few are in the running for test spots before they are 25.

Only rare talents like Michael Clarke will get the chance to achieve such high honours at his age for Australia.

This has occured because the current generation are really the first fully profesional players, and as such are hanging onto their careers for longer than they would've had they not been getting paid the money.

This has simply pushed the age of the Australia test team, and also the average age of FC cricketers in Australia up - which there is nothing wrong with that. Its not football here, cricket is a sport where you can play and not be physically inhibited till you are 35. In fact, its better to play when you older because you are physically able to match up to a 23/24 year old when you are 10 years senior, while you have 10 years extra experience on your side.

If you look at how the Australia team of now were going 5 years ago:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
S Waugh
Lehmann
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath
Bichel

and compare them to a possible team 5 years from now:

Maher
Hussey
Ponting
Love
Katich
Clarke
Clingeleffer
Watson
Hauritz
Noffke
Rofe
Inness

if you look at how the FC records currently of the possible team 5 years from now and compare them to the FC records of the current team from 5 years ago, they are quite similar. I have them somewhere on my computer, but I can't find them but I know they are quite similar.

The only difference is that the current team had mostly played test cricket 5 years ago, and only Ponting, Love and Katich have experienced from the possible team 5 years from now

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hourn said:
Australia has the best set up at the moment and will be a strong force for a long time to come.
I disagree. I think West Indies and/or India have the best potential fot the very near future. The very fact that the Aussies don't blood youngsters will backfire on them. It did for the West Indies.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
if you look at how the FC records currently of the possible team 5 years from now and compare them to the FC records of the current team from 5 years ago, they are quite similar. I have them somewhere on my computer, but I can't find them but I know they are quite similar.

The only difference is that the current team had mostly played test cricket 5 years ago, and only Ponting, Love and Katich have experienced from the possible team 5 years from now
I don't see any players similer to Warne or McGrath sorry :yawn:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I disagree. I think West Indies and/or India have the best potential fot the very near future. The very fact that the Aussies don't blood youngsters will backfire on them. It did for the West Indies.
You're right, the very fact that the West Indies had such a magnificient and well-settled team in the eighties made them so complacent that they didn't see the list of crack batsmen and the assembly line of fast bowlers drying up till it was too late to stop the slide....

Simon

hourn i think you have gotten that Aus team 5 years from now very wrong.
Hayden, gilchrist, lee, gillespie, martyn will all still be there, depending on form.
Anyway im pretty dirty Higgs missed out on a contract. He made the World cup 30 and was looking in very good form at the end of the season. i expect him to be challenging for a one day spot by the end of the 03/04 season.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I think NZ have some of the best talent aswell but we'll never get anywhere if we continue to overlook it.

Jesse Ryder is the one to watch out for, very similar to Sehwag..doesn't always come off but when he does, he'll have a strike-rate of 90+ & will get a big score.

Anyway this is ACB Contracts..from my POV I think there aren't any surprises in that list.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie side 5 years from now

Digton
Love
Ponting
Clarke
Love
Katich/hussey/watson
Gilchrist
Lee
Noffke
Gillespie
hauritz/bracken - depending on pitch

love i think will replace steve waugh batting at 5, being the 'rock' of the batting lineup, clarlke is a top order not a lower order batsman and he is the most attacking, hussey and katich bat anywhere and Watson might get in there depending on injuries and if he improves

another player that might get ion there dependng on how he goes in the next couple of years is graham cunningham, only seen him a couple of times, looks pretty good

Cam white will also be up there in that all rounder spot i think

Eclipse

International Debutant
nahh Cuningham is only good in the One Dayers.

Dighton is good but not good enough IMO.

I think the team will look a fair bit diffrent to that Martyn will probably still be there.

Hussey & Katich Have to find there consistency again Watson will be there for sure.

I reckon a few more young starts will be avalabe by then as well players like Gosgrove, Simmons, Ronchi, Mitchell, MacKenzie, Cleary, Marsh etc.. all of them will be good players.

Simon

cunningham, another canberra player, its a idsgrace we dont have a team here.
anyway, 5 years inst really that long, the majority of the current side will still be there.
team for mine
1 Hayden
2 Maher
3 Ponting
4 Martyn
5 Love
6 Clarke
7 Gilchrist
8 Lee
9 Gillespie
10 Hauritiz
11 Nofke

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
Martyn will be 37-38 and hopefullyt retired, same with hayden, but hes better and might stay longer
What is this problem with Martyn? He scores runs consistantly, isn't that the point of the game?

Andre

International Regular
But no Rik, your missing the point. Martyn DOES score runs consistently, but he's not as good as Clarke or Katich or any other New South Welshman for that matter ;):D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
But no Rik, your missing the point. Martyn DOES score runs consistently, but he's not as good as Clarke or Katich or any other New South Welshman for that matter ;):D
Sorry Andre, I forgot :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: