• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jason Gillespie

Langeveldt

Soutie
Having seen him bowl for a while now, I have realised just how underated he is...

At this moment in time I think he is the best fast bowler in the world, arguably better than McGrath (although he is out at the mo) and better than Shaun Pollock...

Any comments??

Anna

International Vice-Captain
He needs a hair cut......:D

No really, he is good and very underated as you say.

PY

International Coach
Or David Beckham's for that matter :O

Always thought he was more capable of devastation than McGrath but nowhere near as consistent. Hopefully his inconsistency will last because as soon as he becomes consistent OUCH

krkode

State Captain
I don't think he is underrated - but unlucky - yes.. He is easily rated the third or fourth best fast bowler in the world and I agree with that.

Personally, don't think he is as good as McGrath or Pollock...

He has just been vastly unlucky with his fitness. I'm sure it's something he can't help - it's not like he can't take care of his fitness or anything. Poor fella :(

Maybe if he had played as much as the rest, I could change my opinion, but I still say, that while he may be more incisive than McGrath and Pollock, he's not as good allround.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Having seen him bowl for a while now, I have realised just how underated he is...

At this moment in time I think he is the best fast bowler in the world, arguably better than McGrath (although he is out at the mo) and better than Shaun Pollock...

Any comments??
He is an exceptional fast bowler, but better than Pollock....well....maybe....better than McGrath....no...I don't think so....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To entertain the thought that somehow Gillespie is a better bowler than McGrath is to ignore McGrath's record, his ability to produce under pressure and the testimonies of those with the most important opinions of all; those who've faced him.

There's little doubt Jason has the ability to be one of the greatest but he's not there yet. Glenn McGrath, if he retired tomorrow, would be remembered as one of the greatest fast bowlers the world has seen for his record alone. Even at 33, he's still bowling as well as he ever has and he's STILL a superior performer to Gillespie.

For mine, there is no debate. I mean, you're talking about comparing Buster Douglas to Muhammed Ali here. There is no comparison.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Gillespie is a far better bowler than Pollock who I rate very highly.

The facts are Pollock only bowls around 125kph and while he is very good at getting wickets of batsman who are not of the best in the world he does not pose the same threat as Gillespie does.

I remember when Pollock Played Vs Australia in the test and ODI's he really posed no threat at all because his line and length stock deleverys at 125kph just did not trouble our batsman at all.

People Forget just how god Gillespie is injurys are the only thing that have stoped him from being one of the all time greats IMO.

The reason I say this is because he currently bowls at about 145kph- 150kph has a line and length close of that to McGrath and or though he does not swing the ball alot he can extract more life out of a pitch than any fast bowler currently playing internationl cricket IMHO.

Just think how good he could have been if not for injureys I remember 5-6 years ago when he was bowling in the mid 150s every ball if injurys had not stuffed him up he would be the best in the world by now.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gillespie is a far better bowler than Pollock who I rate very highly.
That statement isn't supported by facts because Pollock has performance over Gillespie as it stands. He averages just over 20 per wicket and in anyone's language, that's awesome. One bad series does not a career make. Pollock had a bad series against Australia the last time they were here but in every other series, he's bowled superbly, particularly in Adelaide in 1998.

And anyway, Gillespie isn't bowling slower due to injury (as he still lets the odd really quick one go) but he's realised, like Pollock and McGrath before him, that speed isn't everything. I remember seeing Pollock bowling as a 22-year old and he was just a shade off Brett Lee's pace.

Considering their relative records and abilities, to say Gillespie is a 'better' bowler than Pollock is ludicrous and does a great disservice to Pollocks 5 or 6 years as SA's number one bowler. In fact, the fact that you mention Pollock's series against Australia last year suggests you haven't seen him bowl at his best much at all.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i rate gillespie ahead of Pollock too, the 20kph extra pace is deadly, and he moves the ball more off the pitch and in the air, suree this means he oes for a few extra runs here and there but the extra wickets he gets makes up for that

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PWC rates McGrath 1st in both Tests and ODI, then Pollock 3 in ODI, 2 in Tests and Murali 2 in ODI, 3 in Tests.

Gillespie 8 in ODI, 7 in Tests.

That's enough for me.

Eclipse

International Debutant
It's a persoal opinion I suppose but I still think Gillespie is better wether people want to agree with me is up to them. Maybe there is some bias coming in here but I have that much respect for him that I cant help it :)

Top_Cat how can you say Gillespie would not be quicker if he was not injured I heard an intrerview done by James Brayshaw (I think it was him) were Gillespie suggested he would be bowling faster these days if he had not had the injureys.

Now this came directly from Gillespie or though I cant quote exactly what he said.

I know we have not seen the best of him lets just hope he stays injurey free for at least 18 monthes that would be exellent :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah gillespie's PWC rating would be alot higher had he not had so many injuries, you must also remember that pollock of ater has been playing against weaker oposition

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh come on boys - I know you're Australian, but this is really stretching it. You must learn to accept that there are players around the world that are better than some Aussies!

Pollock's recent run against weak sides means his rating is not boosted as much, and besides that, Gillespie's recent opposition is hardly world class.

Also, look at the points they each have - Pollock 861, Gillespie 713.

He's even behind Andy Caddick, so to rate him above Pollock is lunacy!