• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jason Gillespie

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Some stats:

Gillespie:

40 matches, 152 wickets at an ave of 25.61 with an economy of 2.99 and a strike rate of 51.3.

Pollock:

68 matches, 278 wickets at an ave of 20.71 with an economy of 2.28 and a strike rate of 54.3.

At this point in their respective careers, Pollock very clearly comes out ahead. Jason has a lot of work to do to match or better Shawn's performance by the end of his career.

I didn't even bother comparing with McGrath because at this point, there is really no comparison.

McGrath is an all-time great while Pollock could very well become one. Gillespie is one of the best bowlers in the current era, but he still has a long way to go....

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Come on guys, Pollock is the 3rd best bowler in the world (behind McGrath and Murali), Gillespie is not even close, good bowler yes but an average of 25 is very very very different to a career average of 20! Guess what, Pollock actually has a better average than McGrath and he has had to bowl against Australia, McGrath and Gillespie haven't. Wake up and understand that Pollock is not only a better bowler than Gillespie but he also manages to average 33 with the bat! He's one of the great players, Gillespie has a long way to go before he even gets close.

Also Lee continues his slide, still averaging a customary 30+ in this series with only one and a half Tests gone :rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
It's a persoal opinion I suppose but I still think Gillespie is better wether people want to agree with me is up to them. Maybe there is some bias coming in here but I have that much respect for him that I cant help it :)
It's not just bias mate, it's pure insanity!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
AA is numero uno, man! The unrivalled, the unparalleled, the One!!!:P :D :lol: :duh: :saint:

Anna

International Vice-Captain
He's in a completely different league.......of his own.......leaps and bounds in another direction from everyone else.......:D :lol: :D :lol:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
Come on guys, Pollock is the 3rd best bowler in the world (behind McGrath and Murali), Gillespie is not even close, good bowler yes but an average of 25 is very very very different to a career average of 20! Guess what, Pollock actually has a better average than McGrath and he has had to bowl against Australia, McGrath and Gillespie haven't. Wake up and understand that Pollock is not only a better bowler than Gillespie but he also manages to average 33 with the bat! He's one of the great players, Gillespie has a long way to go before he even gets close.

Also Lee continues his slide, still averaging a customary 30+ in this series with only one and a half Tests gone :rolleyes:
Lee may have turend the corrner I hope he bowled exellently in this current test match and five wickets is a good hual in these conditions.

We all know he bowled well in the first innings but his figures are dont back that up in the second but apparently he was even better.

krkode

State Captain
Well, all the bowlers are having a hard time here, except maybe Gillespie, but he's something else ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How many times have we heard that though Eclipse - he seems to be always "bowling well", but not getting the figures to show for it.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
How many times have we heard that though Eclipse - he seems to be always "bowling well", but not getting the figures to show for it.
You have probably heard me say it alot lol ;)

But I did not see this match so I am getting this information from qoutes I heard from Brain Lara, Michael Holding and some of the aussie players.

Apparently his second spell in the second innings was described by Lara as one of the toughest he has ever faced.

There were also a few people I know who are very harsh critics off Lee who though this was his best bowling performance in test cricket since his injurey.

match figures of 5-120 odd is pritty good any way especialy on this pitch so his figures show a sold performance.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah all the aussie bowlers are bowling pretty well on beutiful batting pitches, unlike certain WI bowlers who could only take 7 wickets in the match

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont think McGill or Hogg are bowling very well mainly because Lara has smashed all tnere confidence.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
yeah all the aussie bowlers are bowling pretty well
Having seen almost all of the West Indian innings of the series so far, I would have to disagree. Only Gillespie seems to be bowling consistantly well (very very well) but Lee has only had two impressive spells of 6 or so overs each in the 4 innings he's bowled in. The thing that is encouraging for Aussie supporters is that both spells were in the last match.

Re: Hogg - one threatening spell so far...and he was wicketless at the end of it.

Re: McGill - a full toss an over......disappointing to say the least, but his talent has been very evident...he spins it a mile!

Re: Bichel - he really hasn't been very threatening at any point in this series. His impressive figures in POS are just that - figures. Looking at the dismissals, the West Indian batsmen really did carelessly gift their wickets for the most part. He needs to make the batsmen play at the ball more often.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
certain WI bowlers who could only take 7 wickets in the match
In all fairness, Drakes has bowled well without luck. He has bowled line and length and has gotten reasonable rewards but he has had a catch or two put down.

Re: Dillon - very poor in the first Test, but he looked threatening in the second. He also should've had Ponting out to a simple catch to Samuels. Unfortunately, no one filled in Samuels on the script and we all know how Ponting proceeded...

Re: Collins - total lack of confidence. He's in horrible form right now.

Re: Lawson - impressive without results. He needs to bring some results to the table.

Re: Bernard - underbowled by Lara, but shouldn't be in the team. He's talented, yes, but he isn't at this point in time a Test player. Perhaps he needs to mature....

Re: Samuels - Bowled well on Day 4 in POS, but overall he will not trouble the Aussies.