• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Supposed lack of quality bowling-do you lot think its starting to come right now?

FBU

International Debutant
ODI Fast Bowlers who have bowled in the last two years. Some have just started bowling and their averages could get better, or worse.

A List
Sharma - 18.16 - 6 wickets
Bracken - 22.30 - 127 wickets
Lee - 22.73 - 288 wickets
Johnson - 22.97 - 47 wickets
Tait - 23.45 - 33 wickets
Mørkel - 23.72 - 11 wickets
Ntini - 23.99 - 255 wickets
Maharoof 24.25 - 102 wickets

B List
Malinga 25.08 - 74 wickets
Mills - 26.38 - 111 wickets
Edwards - 26.75 - 44 wickets
Vaas 27.08 - 389 wickets
Taylor - 27.17 - 64 wickets
Tanvir - 27.38 - 18 wickets
Naved - 27.68 - 95 wickets
Broad - 27.75 - 36 wickets
Pathan - 27.99 - 129 wickets
Nel - 28.34 - 99 wickets
Sami - 28.44- 118 wickets
Anderson 28.47 - 119 wickets
Lawson - 29.29 - 17 wickets
Fernando - 29.45 - 154 wickets
Bradshaw - 29.47 - 78 wickets
Langeveldt - 29.49 - 77 wickets
Patel - 29.50 - 32 wickets
Zoysa - 29.75 - 108 wickets
Powell - 29.96 - 51 wickets

C List
Gul - 30.34 - 49 wickets
ZKhan - 30.37 - 188 wickets
Clark 30.42 - 40 wickets
Sreesanth - 31.27 - 55 wickets
RPSingh - 31.70 - 48 wickets
Tuffey 31.97 - 91 wickets
Mason 32.68 - 25 wickets
Hafeez - 33 63 - 38 wickets
Plunkett - 34.05 - 37 wickets
Anjum 34.22 - 45 wickets
Colleymore - 35.22 - 83 wickets
Asif - 35.65 - 26 wickets
Steyn 36.07 - 13 wickets
Franklin - 37.37 - 64 wickets
SMahmood - 38.89 - 29 wickets
Martin - 41.82 - 17 wickets
Gillespie - 44.20 - 25 wickets

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interesting list. I do think Hafeez would be flattered being considered a pace bowler though.

Man Bracken is classy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bracken has been easily one of the best ODI bowlers around since he finally got a fixed place in the team.

And here's the best bit: I think he could have done and could do in future even better.

Really not sure, FBU, about Morne Morkel, though. He only played his first authentic ODI a few weeks ago. :blink:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Bowlers who might become quality in this hemisphere, Taylor, Lawson(if he gets to play again) and maybe Edwards. Rampaul could become ODI quality. For spinners there are a few who are young enough and may be good enough to get a regular place in Mohammed, O. Brown, Miller, Banks and the other Trini spinner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am still disappointed (along with Bennett and co) at Mohammed's lack of recent progress. Always liked the look of him, as far back as 2003\04. Yet he looks in danger of becoming the next Inshan Ali (or was it Imtiaz Ali? :unsure:).

Debris

International 12th Man
I reckon the fast bowling improvement should be talked about more then some random spinners.
The title of the post was that a lack of quality bowlers is starting to show. Well, I can't see any lack of new fast bowlers coming through but I can see a lack of quality spinners which is why the discussion turned to spinners.

If all you wanted to do was discuss fast bowlers, I think that the post should be retitled.

FBU

International Debutant
Bracken has been easily one of the best ODI bowlers around since he finally got a fixed place in the team.

And here's the best bit: I think he could have done and could do in future even better.

Really not sure, FBU, about Morne Morkel, though. He only played his first authentic ODI a few weeks ago. :blink:
Some bowlers like Sharma and Morkel may have only just started but look as if they will be around for a long time unless they become injury prone. As I write Sreesanth has gone for 14 from his first two overs and Sharma has gone for two.... and has just got Gilchrist out. 3-1-5-1

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Yeah, I really do. Just taken a closer look.

Bracken's performances were actually much better before he became a fixture in the side. In his first 17 games he went for 3.88-an-over at 19.71. Since becoming a fixture, he's gone for 4.56-an-over (in the middle of a series currently) at 23.32.

Reckon he can do much better than that. Though I wonder what those figures are like if death overs are removed?

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, I really do. Just taken a closer look.

Bracken's performances were actually much better before he became a fixture in the side. In his first 17 games he went for 3.88-an-over at 19.71. Since becoming a fixture, he's gone for 4.56-an-over (in the middle of a series currently) at 23.32.

Reckon he can do much better than that. Though I wonder what those figures are like if death overs are removed?
Well, in truth, he really became an ODI standard during those World XI games. You're right, though, he is an ODI gun - plus, his figures are improving...good for my team. :cool:

roseboy64

Am still disappointed (along with Bennett and co) at Mohammed's lack of recent progress. Always liked the look of him, as far back as 2003\04. Yet he looks in danger of becoming the next Inshan Ali (or was it Imtiaz Ali? :unsure:).
Credit that to WI captains and selectors.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Credit that to WI captains and selectors.
Didn't see as much of the WI v SA series as I'd liked. How did Powell go? I thought that if he and Taylor could continue their development, they could make a pretty good new ball attack.
Likewise, has Taylor continued to kick on like everyone hoped, or has he plateaued a bit?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, in truth, he really became an ODI standard during those World XI games. You're right, though, he is an ODI gun - plus, his figures are improving...good for my team. :cool:
I've always struggled to credit those Rest Of World XI games as deserving of ODI status TBH. I hate the idea that "Rest Of" teams should ever get the same status as teams from a perminantly defined area.

Naturally, if I credited those Aus-ROWXI games as ODI-meriting, I'd say from them onwards.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
You have to wonder how eager people'd be to bestow their personal ODI and Test status on Rest Of games that turned out to be gripping affairs.

Think people just can't stomach the fact it's generally a blowout one way or the other.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My own opinion of said games would be no different had they been gripping affairs. Naturally, the fact that they turned-out to be meaningless wastes of time (as, of course, I had expected them to be) gives me even more indifference to the concept than I'd otherwise have had, sure, but that the games were not worthy of ODI status was a decision I made before, not after, the competition. Same applies to all matches involving "Rest Of" teams.

roseboy64

Didn't see as much of the WI v SA series as I'd liked. How did Powell go? I thought that if he and Taylor could continue their development, they could make a pretty good new ball attack.
Likewise, has Taylor continued to kick on like everyone hoped, or has he plateaued a bit?
Powell started off well but then faded as usual. taylor put in some good performances throughout. He's progressing well. Just needs a bit more strength and he'll be up there with the best pretty soon.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the current SA vs IND test i don't think we need to hold it in jest anymore. I think we can easily move out of the notion that this 2000's era of flat pitches & average bowling is pretty much over.

Of the top 8 nations excpet for WI once all are fit all have a good to potentially top-class bowling attack (some with depth) & pitches well geez if India now has a surface where the SA can run roit away from how should tell you whats really poppin..

So in the future the major batsmen of this era who have had questions over their abilities in tougher batting conditions will be tested from now on.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure, we've lost McGrath, Warne, Pollock (I'm sure more names can be inserted)...have we gained that many bowlers that can be considered that quality yet?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pollock hasn't been top-quality ever since the flattening-out of pitches in 2001/02, so his loss doesn't really make that much light. McGrath and Warne is a loss, yeah, but it had to happen eventually - it's nowhere near the level of the loss we saw in 2001/02 and the surrounding 6-12-month period.

Either way, if the likes of Asif, Clark, Steyn, Umar Gul, Flintoff, Sidebottom, Ishant Sharma, Welegedara, etc. turn-out to fit the bill, all will be a hell of a lot better than it has been for quite a while. How good we'll only find-out in due course.

FBU

International Debutant
Fast bowlers making their Test debut since 2000

2000 - Martin, Hoggard, Khan, Fernando
2001 - Franklin, Bond, Nel, Sidebottom, Mortaza
2002 - Harmison, Powell, Lawson
2003 - Bracken, Zondeki, Anderson, Gul, Pathan, Taylor, Edwards
2004 - Mason, Mills, Steyn, Malinga
2005 - Tait, O'Brien, Langeveldt, Asif
2006 - Morkel, Clark, RP Singh, Sreesanth, Patel,
2007 - Johnson, MGillespie, Tremlett, Broad, Tanvir, Sharma, Welegedera
2008 - Southee

In the top 10 Test rankings - Steyn, Clark, Bond and Sidebottom.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Since the turn of the century, I'd say there has been only a few years where the could be said a lack of quality in bowling existed. As a whole, the notion is irritating and, when someone spouts it like a generalisation, I feel they have not looked much at Cricket in the past to be making such an accurate comparison.

However, I do see a crop of bowlers that are coming through that can be the next McGrath/Waqar/Wasim/Donald, etc.