• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI to ask for ban on sledging

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BCCI to ask for ban

Well, unlike throwing a hissy fit and threatening to go home, this is a legitimate course of action to change a rule.

I was previously in favor of sledging, but now I have to agree that players should shut the hell up and play the game. Especially as usual banter has been replaced by foul mouthed morons with no sense of wit.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
**** me. Pathetic.

Im someone who doesnt like sledging and doesnt do it now (though I used to) but this is bitch cricket. Call it a cultural difference and you may be right but its ***** cricket IMO.

I mean, a complete ban?!

EDIT- May come across stronger than intended, but its a fair assessment of my feelings.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Nothing wrong with sledging, it what makes cricket such a great game. You just have to make sure you dont overstep the mark.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sledging is all that prevents cricket from sinking back into the upper classes.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** me. Pathetic.

Im someone who doesnt like sledging and doesnt do it now (though I used to) but this is bitch cricket. Call it a cultural difference and you may be right but its ***** cricket IMO.
Not to mention unworkable - precedent has already been set where it's only sledging if cameras and mikes pick it up and where victim can be absolutely 100% what was said to him in a foreign language

Wonder what the BCCI's attitude when they take the field without Kumble, Ganguly, Sreesanth, Dhoni etc etc etc

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BCCI to ask for ban

Well, unlike throwing a hissy fit and threatening to go home, this is a legitimate course of action to change a rule.

I was previously in favor of sledging, but now I have to agree that players should shut the hell up and play the game. Especially as usual banter has been replaced by foul mouthed morons with no sense of wit.
Trouble is, either way it's unworkable really, a bit like the chucking thing. You either have an unfair law that's policeable (or not, as the recent furore fairly clearly shows) or a fair law that's near-unpoliceable.

I'm fully in favour of saying anything to opposition players being banned, at least in international cricket, it'd obviously be completely unworkable at lower levels. In any case, I$C$C only need ban it internationally, domestic associations can then ban it if they prefer.

There's, AFAIC, no difference between "c'mon then you £$&@ing stupid @$%£, y'really reckon you're @£$&ing good enough to beat us" and "you useless bastard" and "is Lara good in bed mate?" and "dunno, ask your wife" and "monkey" and even "nigga". All utterly unacceptible IMO. It truly baffles me how anyone can seriously perport the "racism is the only line which should not be crossed" rubbish.

The trouble is, how do you seriously differentiate between this and "aww, close one there Athers, Shane'll have you next time" (which is perfectly fine to, well, probably just about anyone)? Any such differentiation can only be done on common-sense, not something that would be legally workable.

As I said last time this was discussed - I think the best thing which might work would be to ban the use of nouns when speaking directly to, and about, an opposition player.

I don't think the loss of big words between players would hurt the game at all; I think if we got rid of it we'd before long think "ah, isn't this that much better?" exactly as with the loss of overs and bad Umpiring decisions.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Sledging is cowardly, abhorrent, loathsome, aggravating, unsportsmanlike and a form of cheating.
I detested it in my playing days and I detest it now.

There, feel better already.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
, unsportsmanlike and a form of cheating.

There, feel better already.
Certainly possibly unsportsmanlike but definately not cheating.

Also on many occasions it is dumb, stupid and embarrassing.

That doesnt mean there should be a blanket ban on chatter though as there is so much that doesnt fall into the above categories.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given a working defintion of "sledging" is pretty much impossible and, as has been painfully demonstrated recently ad ****ing nauseam, entirely culturally contingent, a sine die ban is impossible IMHO. Unless, of course, we take the sledgehammer to crack the nut and ban any talking between opposing teams.

Kudos for the "through official channels" approach tho; let's hope it catches on.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah I'm all for this.. The most recent series in Aus was an example of how unfortunately the kids can't play together nicely, so we need to ban sledging all together.. I'd like to see a game of cricket between Australia and India make the headlines rather than the umpires/judges/referees/whoever.. And it might get our Nel concentrating more on his bowling..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
**** me. Pathetic.

I mean, a complete ban?!

EDIT- May come across stronger than intended, but its a fair assessment of my feelings.
Nah its worse to call someone's wife a name and expect not to get a stump to the face. If you're going to allow that, then let's legalize fighting in the cricket field ice hockey style.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah its worse to call someone's wife a name and expect not to get a stump to the face. If you're going to allow that, then let's legalize fighting in the cricket field ice hockey style.
Thats hardly a common occurance is it? :blink:

If someone is the overly tempramental, sensitive, emotional and unbalanced type that smacks people in the face (thankfully there are few around) with a stump then I dont think cricket is the game for them or that they are capable of succeeding at a high level.

Debris

International 12th Man
Will be a sad day if this happens but it seems cricketers today can't seem to see the line between sledging and abuse.

I always thought a sledge was a comment on someone's cricketing skills and this was fine. What we had been hearing lately has been just base personal abuse and not sledging. This is what should be outlawed.

Not sure how easy it is to police this though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A blanket ban is just dumb. Firstly in most sports there is verbal interaction between players and it is part of the mind games. Secondly, it would be difficult to enforce and thirdly there is the language issue. Will it only be English that is outlawed? Will cursing and talking in Afrikaans or any other language be permitted? Will umpires have to be multi-lingual or will interpreters be there listening to all the stump mics? There are logistical nightmares. Fourthly and finally, something like sledging is impossible to define with any clarity.

There is no doubt that sledging can go too far and can be overly vulgar and insulting. However, Id far rather it be left upto the Umpires on the field to assess and evaluate the situation and comments. Just like they are left to evaluate Dangerous and unfair bowling
(Bowling of fast short pitched balls).

To me a blanket ban is like a complete ban on bouncers. Left unchecked the situation can be nasty and wrong but outright banning them takes an important part of the mental aspect of the game away.

Like the repetition and danger outlined in the laws for Umpires to interpret for bouncers I would be happy to see a similar framework applied to sledging.

I stand by my orignal sentiments on a full ban. Though Im not opposed to rules being in place to prevent it rampaging unchecked.

The 1964 Justice Potter Stewarts quote over defining what is obscene is relevant here. "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced . . . but I know it when I see it"

Context, intent and content are all important in evaluating what should be outlawed in cricket and umpires on the field are best placed to make that decision.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A blanket ban is just dumb. Firstly in most sports there is verbal interaction between players and it is part of the mind games. Secondly, it would be difficult to enforce and thirdly there is the language issue. Will it only be English that is outlawed? Will cursing and talking in Afrikaans or any other language be permitted? Will umpires have to be multi-lingual or will interpreters be there listening to all the stump mics? There are logistical nightmares. Fourthly and finally, something like sledging is impossible to define with any clarity.

There is no doubt that sledging can go too far and can be overly vulgar and insulting. However, Id far rather it be left upto the Umpires on the field to assess and evaluate the situation and comments. Just like they are left to evaluate Dangerous and unfair bowling
(Bowling of fast short pitched balls).

To me a blanket ban is like a complete ban on bouncers. Left unchecked the situation can be nasty and wrong but outright banning them takes an important part of the mental aspect of the game away.

Like the repetition and danger outlined in the laws for Umpires to interpret for bouncers I would be happy to see a similar framework applied to sledging.

I stand by my orignal sentiments on a full ban. Though Im not opposed to rules being in place to prevent it rampaging unchecked.

The 1964 Justice Potter Stewarts quote over defining what is obscene is relevant here. "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced . . . but I know it when I see it"

Context, intent and content are all important in evaluating what should be outlawed in cricket and umpires on the field are best placed to make that decision.
Yeah the comparison to the intimidatory bowling is apt. The current legislation that racist comments are reprehensible but calling someone (or friends, or family, or whatever) any non-racist insult is fine is, well, as I say, ludicrous.

As I also said, it's impossible to police as you couldn't make a certain definition, so to say "it is up to the Umpires to decide" is pretty much the best that can be done.

It is beyond question that a clampdown needs to happen. Indeed, the possibility first occurred to me 6 years ago now.

Flem274*

123/5
I agree with what Kent Johns said on the radio, you either let everything go or ban everything completely as there are too many grey areas to have a middle ground.

Or we could just use a "case by case" basis on what is too far and what isn't but that would throw up some big issues becuase of disparity of opinion between judges.

Debris

International 12th Man
It would certainly make cricket unique if you were banned from talking to the opposition. Can't think of another team sport with that rule.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would certainly make cricket unique if you were banned from talking to the opposition. Can't think of another team sport with that rule.
Would certainly reinforce the notion that cricketers are wimps if we have rules about what opposition is allowed to say to each other.

Regarding the topic at hand, Goughy's posts are a decent representation of my thoughts on the matter.