• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI to ask for ban on sledging

Flem274*

123/5
Is that what happened to Bond, the NZ rugby fans called him soft, so he joined the rebel league?
If you want to think that. More likely he thought he needed big bucks because of injuries.

As for NZ rugby fans: biggest wimps ever IMO. All that bleating after the WC

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BCCI ask for a ban on sledging: Who cares? I certainly don't. Its all a load of hot air and a complete ban is completely ludicrous, unenforcible, and will kill the game. TBH if someone says you suck and you can't handle it then you do suck, now go join the rebel league.
Whilst I agree with much of this, the problem isn't inferring that a player sucks - the problem is more to do with the inference of WHAT he sucks.

It's the old thing about drawing a line in the sand - "This far and no further", then allowing a bit of leeway. "His heel touched the line in the sand" becomes "only one foot crossed the line in the sand", and everyone turns a blind eye to it.

Then someone takes a dump on the line in the sand - and that's where we are now.

Cricket was never really a 'Gentleman's Game' - but equally it was never supposed to be a game for oafs

pasag

RTDAS
Too much grey area though. What is a sledge to some is abuse to others.
Not a grey area at all, all it requires is education and discussion amongst players. Banning everything on the cricket field is just a stupid knee jerk reaction. Put in a bit of effort, learn what's acceptable and what's not and that'll be all that's required here. That has a lot more chance of lasting than any silly blanket bans that will be impossible to enforce and probably ensure cricket is in the headlines constantly for the wrong reasons.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You mean if he *can't* come after you? If someone chooses not to come after you, different story but if you give stick when you know the rules prevent your opposition from doing anything about it, then yeah that's pretty low. Still, I've always said that the best way to shut up an errant batsman is to get him out so I always just concentrated my efforts there.
But thats what happens. In the outside world, there would certainly be a fight if that happens. But in a cricket field, the guy who sledges, like a coward, can hide behind the fact that there is very little chance the other guy will risk his career to come after you.

I am rooting for some young hothead to lose it and just attack someone on the field. Maybe that's what we need to put a stop to this nonsense.

Flem274*

123/5
Not a grey area at all, all it requires is education and discussion amongst players. Banning everything on the cricket field is just a stupid knee jerk reaction. Put in a bit of effort, learn what's acceptable and what's not and that'll be all that's required here. That has a lot more chance of lasting than any silly blanket bans that will be impossible to enforce and probably ensure cricket is in the headlines constantly for the wrong reasons.
Nice idea, but Player A may have very different views to Player B on what is acceptable. Obviously racsim etc is definitely a no no but unless the ICC draw up a big list on what you can and can not say then it won't work and probably still won't work.

Case by case basis is flawed also because different judges have different opinions.

The only one that comes to mind atm is too ban racism, insults about recent traumas (say, if Steve Waugh really had imitated a train to Cairns (I know it didn't happen just an example)) and probably a few others but there will still be borderline sledges I feel which will be bloody hard to decide whether they're acceptable or not.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Case by case basis is flawed also because different judges have different opinions.
Different judges in everything from reallife to sports always do. There are rules and guidelines and they are interpreted slightly differently by each person.

So different umpires let a different amount go, so what? They are the bosses. If a pair of umpires are particularly strict and dont like a direction of comment then all they have to say is "No, more of that" and move on.

Players will respond to the parameters laid out by the umpires.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Different judges in everything from reallife to sports always do. There are rules and guidelines and they are interpreted slightly differently by each person.

So different umpires let a different amount go, so what? They are the bosses. If a pair of umpires are particularly strict and dont like a direction of comment then all they have to say is "No, more of that" and move on.

Players will respond to the parameters laid out by the umpires.
The difference between a real life court case and what happens on an international sporting field, is that the laws and requirements are different from one country to another. In a court case for example a judge only needs to judge on the base of one set of laws. But when it comes to an international sporting field, then there needs to be a consideration of what is deemed acceptable in one country and what is not acceptable in another country. Thats why it would be impossible to just let it even be left up to umpires. As one umpire from one country may think something acceptable, but the players from that team don't feel it is acceptable, due cutural differences.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
But thats what happens. In the outside world, there would certainly be a fight if that happens. But in a cricket field, the guy who sledges, like a coward, can hide behind the fact that there is very little chance the other guy will risk his career to come after you.

I am rooting for some young hothead to lose it and just attack someone on the field. Maybe that's what we need to put a stop to this nonsense.
Thats one of biggest things why I think sledging is joke. Half the crap you hear on a cricket field. If someone said that stuff to you at a pub, then you would go over and knock block off. But cus it is said on the cricket field it is ok and you meant to expect it as part of the game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
At a time when players have forgotten the fine line between light banter and abuse, it is right to ban sledging. I dont like racist and/or personal abuses flying in the middle of cricket match.

Ban sledging, those who seldge should be slapped with heavy punishment and fines. Only then the players will learn to behave and the boards will take player behaviour seriously.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Thats one of biggest things why I think sledging is joke. Half the crap you hear on a cricket field. If someone said that stuff to you at a pub, then you would go over and knock block off. But cus it is said on the cricket field it is ok and you meant to expect it as part of the game.
Well Bowled Chaminda. :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So if a batsman plays a horrible wafty drive with no footwork, and his team are 3/15, the slips fielder will not be allowed to say something like "yeah real smart buddy, try it again?"

That'll be banned? Ridiculous IMO.

If he said "yeah real smart c-word, try it again", then by all means punish him. Just make it simple, no abuse. I realise there are cultural differences, but educate the players FFS.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
So if a batsman plays a horrible wafty drive with no footwork, and his team are 3/15, the slips fielder will not be allowed to say something like "yeah real smart buddy, try it again?"

That'll be banned? Ridiculous IMO.

If he said "yeah real smart c-word, try it again", then by all means punish him. Just make it simple, no abuse. I realise there are cultural differences, but educate the players FFS.
Don't ban the player - ban the captain.

He is responsible for discipline.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At a time when players have forgotten the fine line between light banter and abuse, it is right to ban sledging.
QUOTE]

You mean the 70s?

Now is tame!

Michael Holding admitted that the Windies (in particular IVA) resorted to racial abuse because this was the way he, in particular, combatted any aggression perpetrated by the white man.

The only reason sledging is more in the spotlight now than 20 years ago is technology - cameras and mikes pick up a lot more than they used to

Dont like it, switch off and watch the Premier League - sorry, wrong advice, that (and almost any other sport) is infinitely worse

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
why not just mic all the players .. and this is recorded and kept on record.. if there is any incident.. the umpires note it down at the time.. and the recording is used in the hearing etc.. if any unacceptable abuse occurs.. player and capt. lose a sum of their payment fee... but the mics are not availible to the tv audience.. however the mic recordings can be used in maybe highligt packages etc.. (or where appropiate).. and dvd collections to bring the audience closer to the game.. for examle like game plan ideas that come off.. or batsmen encouging each other in a partnership or trying to win etc..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aside from expense and potential damage (no part of a cricketer's body will go without impact for very long) that might work fairly well.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ban sledging, those who seldge should be slapped with heavy punishment and fines. Only then the players will learn to behave and the boards will take player behaviour seriously.
Biggest myth. They're adults here, not children. Scolding them won't work, they'll just find another way to do it. This is why an outfight ban on sledging won't work. Aussies will start using rhyming slang to denigrate an opponent, players from non-English-speaking countries will speak in their native tongue, etc.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Biggest myth. They're adults here, not children. Scolding them won't work, they'll just find another way to do it. This is why an outfight ban on sledging won't work. Aussies will start using rhyming slang to denigrate an opponent, players from non-English-speaking countries will speak in their native tongue, etc.
Yeah, sledging is such a hard thing to decide upon.

I remember playing in a game when my captain decided that an opposition batsman looked like Richie Cunningham . The entire time he batted (which wasn't too long :) ) he was subject to comments and Happy Days references. He didnt like it and it affected his game and pissed him off far more than if he was called "a ****ing ****".

Id like to see the complaint to the umpire, "Mr. Umpire Id like to make a complaint. He *points finger* says I look like Ron Howard." :blink:

Its certainly not using abusive language and IMO, suck it up and deal with it. For sledging to be effective it doesnt have to be vulgar. There are many ways of doing it, the only constant for it to work is a sensitive and emotional opponent.

Last edited: