• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* Millmow Watch *

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Non-Kiwis - look away now.

This thread is to comment on and grow a list of the mediocrity of Jonathan Millmow's cricket reporting. His constant knee-jerks remind me of someone with a severe case of localised epilepsy around the Patella whilst the rapidity of his U-Turns can only remind me of a particularly annoying 7 roundabouts around a central roundabout set up in Canvey Island, Essex.

This thread will exist in the hope that by highlighting his continued failures to provide any meaningful, let alone useful media coverage that Fairfax Media may decide to find a better media representative.

TODAY'S MILLMOW WATCH HAS UNCOVERED:

From the article commenting on Fleming's retirement:

Jonathan Millmow said:
He lost the test captaincy in September last year after a record reign of 10 years, the selectors handing the responsibility to Daniel Vettori who had already assumed control of the New Zealand one-day and Twenty20 teams.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan paid tribute to Fleming, describing him as a great captain and player.

"Stephen's leadership qualities had a tremendous impact on the team and he will be missed.

"He has made a huge contribution to cricket in New Zealand and I sincerely wish him all the best."

Fleming, New Zealand's most experienced test cricketer and leading run scorer, retired from the one-day version of the game after the World Cup in Jamaica in April last year.

He has played 280 one-day internationals since making his debut in 1994, and has been captain on 218 occasions since 1997.

He lost the test captaincy in September last year after a record reign of 10 years, the selectors handing the responsibility to Daniel Vettori, who had already assumed control of the New Zealand one-day and Twenty20 outfits.
So important, he had to repeat it or did old Mill'ers need to meet a word count for this article but found himself incapable of doing so?

Knee-jerking

From Millmow's article about the Hamilton test....

Jonathan Millmow said:
Not that Moores is blameless either. The omission of the star of the Twenty20 series, Dimitri Mascarenhas, has backfired and it would be a bold move to leave him on the sidelines again for tomorrow's crunch match at Eden Park.

New Zealand all-rounder Jacob Oram is playing close to his best cricket with bat, ball and in the field.
Exactly how has Mascarenhas become a fixture in this team which warrants an apportionment of blame for leaving him out I do not know. Possibly Millmow is riding on the bandwagon which must be inextricably linked to those 4 sixes at Eden Park.

Now as to Jakey-boy, I'm not entirely sure how one successful innings in a 20:20 and a few good overs is really enough to judge him as "playing close to his best cricket". Maybe we should reserve judgement until we've seen a bit more of him, eh Mill'ers? What was that? It doesn't sell enough papers if you say that? Well, I've news for you - YOUR ARTICLES DO NOT SELL PAPERS EITHER YOU VACUOUS ****

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
We should really have started this thread months ago, Heath. Those articles he wrote in between the SA and Bangers series were award winning in their abjectness.

HeathDavisSpeed

We should really have started this thread months ago, Heath. Those articles he wrote in between the SA and Bangers series were award winning in their abjectness.
I'm sure the Black Caps will give him more than enough rope to hang himself with when their results go back to the usual yo-yo'ing.

In today's watch, Millmow has had little of his own words to say, instead just regurgitating the words of Martin Crowe in an article about Jesse Ryder. How it has Millmow's name attached to it when 90% of the content is from Crowe is anybody's guess!!

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I'm sure the Black Caps will give him more than enough rope to hang himself with when their results go back to the usual yo-yo'ing.

In today's watch, Millmow has had little of his own words to say, instead just regurgitating the words of Martin Crowe in an article about Jesse Ryder. How it has Millmow's name attached to it when 90% of the content is from Crowe is anybody's guess!!
Don't see as many cricket articles from Richard Boock. Is he not writing much cricket newspaper stuff now?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He gained technical redundancy from the NZ Herald and now works for the Sunday Star Times. Does a little bit of radio too.

Flem274*

123/5
Heath why don't you write for the dominion Post? you have so many advantages over Milmow, like a brain for instance.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
He gained technical redundancy from the NZ Herald and now works for the Sunday Star Times. Does a little bit of radio too.
Thanks for that bit of information, was wondering about Boock's recent lack of articles in the New Zealand Herald.

HeathDavisSpeed

Heath why don't you write for the dominion Post? you have so many advantages over Milmow, like a brain for instance.
I think my ability to spell with 98% accuracy would count against me. I don't think I'd be allowed to show the sub-editors up.

In England, they call the Guardian the Grauniad due to the poor sub-editing. Maybe its time to start calling the Dominion the Dimonion.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Does a lot of magazine work as well, namely Sky Sport the Magazine and Off Spin as well. Also appears on Cricket Company frequently (which is now a boring recap on the weeks cricket news)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think my ability to spell with 98% accuracy would count against me. I don't think I'd be allowed to show the sub-editors up.

In England, they call the Guardian the Grauniad due to the poor sub-editing. Maybe its time to start calling the Dominion the Dimonion.
Put a gap after 'Dim' and before 'Onion' to make it obvious for the thicko's like me and you're on to a winner.

Flem274*

123/5

Guardian=newspaper equivalent of Paul Hitchcock and Sylvester Joseph.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Guardian=newspaper equivalent of Paul Hitchcock and Sylvester Joseph.
More like the newspaper equivalent of Alfred Hitchcock and Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Yawn.

Despite what they say, the ink rubs off - absolute horror show.

And the crossword's rubbish.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a bit of an old leftie tosspot I'm going to stand up for the venerable Granuiad; the arse sub-editing has been largely eradicated (and has been for about a decade) and its cricket coverage is second only to (maybe ironically given the diametrically opposed political viewpoints) the Torygraph. Selvey & Weaver are always good value; I particularly enjoy the wry world-weary sardonicism of the former.

HeathDavisSpeed

Another cracking bit of writing from Millmow today. Reminded me of the sort of bilge written by five year olds at school when they get back from their summer holidays.

"Then I did this. Then I did that. Then I did the other"

Obviously today Millmow had a given size to fill rather than a number of words he had to write. Surely that's the only excuse for the following paragraph-fest:

Jonathan Millstone said:
Bracewell would never commit to such tactics, but he did admit McLean Park is a "good chasing wicket".

One aspect of New Zealand's play he must be proud of is the fielding, especially in the inner ring.

New Zealand have completed seven run outs and appear to have their angles precise.

Bracewell singled out Jamie How and Ross Taylor as the key throwers.

England cruised into Napier yesterday afternoon, presumably in a confident mood.
In fact, in the article it seems that Millmow starts a new paragraph every time he completes a sentence.

This proves to be quite an annoyance.

This may prove to be an example to those who doubt the efficacy of that statement.

New paragraph please, paragraph-boy.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Another cracking bit of writing from Millmow today. Reminded me of the sort of bilge written by five year olds at school when they get back from their summer holidays.

"Then I did this. Then I did that. Then I did the other"

Obviously today Millmow had a given size to fill rather than a number of words he had to write. Surely that's the only excuse for the following paragraph-fest:

In fact, in the article it seems that Millmow starts a new paragraph every time he completes a sentence.

This proves to be quite an annoyance.

This may prove to be an example to those who doubt the efficacy of that statement.

New paragraph please, paragraph-boy.
Jeez, Heath, you really do have an axe to grind, don't you.

A slow news day, and had to fill space, what else is the guy supposed to say? Or would you rather him make up a crack-pot conspiracy theory?

HeathDavisSpeed

No real complaint about the content today; other than a good dose of hyperbole. It seem to me though, that having a new paragraph for every sentance seems a little over the top.

Its a shame that Millmow isn't providing any real gems at the moment, but give him time, give him time.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
From what I recall of the systems used in Fairfax, a new paragraph (when you press enter at the end of a sentence) only adds 0.3cm to a story. So I really don't think that'll be the reason why he wrote it like that. And, of course, the nasty sub-editors can compress or expand the story using paragraphs so Millmow doesn't necessarily know how much space he has to fill (although he usually has a general idea).

Either way, it's a strange piece of writing, but I'm finding this hate campaign from HeathDavisSpeed to be a) a little childish and/or b) a case of occupational envy.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
There was a sports job advertised at the Dom Post a couple of weeks ago. You should have gone for it if you were keen on making your mark. ;)