• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brilliant Ishant

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think a lot of people in Australia were (unpleasantly from our point of view) surprised by RP Singh. He bowled exceptionally well.
Sharma though, well he just looks to have that something extra even compared to India's other good bowlers. Dunno if it's the bounce, the high arm action, the extra yard or a combo of all these and more, but he seems the real deal.

pasag

RTDAS
Might be walking into a minefield here - Sharma's been really good so far but I don't get what the fuss is all about personally. I just don't see it, same with all the Tremlett love not long ago. A lot of potential, yes, but I don't see why others are getting so excited.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think a lot of people in Australia were (unpleasantly from our point of view) surprised by RP Singh. He bowled exceptionally well.
Sharma though, well he just looks to have that something extra even compared to India's other good bowlers. Dunno if it's the bounce, the high arm action, the extra yard or a combo of all these and more, but he seems the real deal.
Its the hair man.

Burgey

I think part of it is that he's got so many of the things which can make a bowler really, really good. And there's something appealing about a bloke who's so young doing so well.

irfan

State Captain
The thing that's really impressed me about Sharma is that he hasn't taken a cheap wicket so far. Every single one of his victims have been edged behind or bowled and nearly all of them playing defensive strokes (bar Hayden and Clarke IIRC.)
Usually when you get wickets against Australia it's mainly due to indifferent batting or unneccesary aggression (see Agarkar's 6 wicket hauls), but Sharma's got his due to pitching the ball in the right areas and making the ball talk.

Honestly, when we was picked for Sydney I was thinking 'Oh, **** I hope he doesn't get a caning." But, gee he's proved me and a lot of others wrong. Fingers crossed he doesn't get injured but seeing his workload coming up it seems rather inevitable.

BTW, is Munaf fit to play ?? If he is I'd love to see a 4 man pace attack at the expense of Uthappa.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Might be walking into a minefield here - Sharma's been really good so far but I don't get what the fuss is all about personally. I just don't see it, same with all the Tremlett love not long ago. A lot of potential, yes, but I don't see why others are getting so excited.
It takes a lot for me to admit I am wrong and me doing so over thinking that Ishant is just another new Indian pacer is no different.

Ishant has troubled Ricky Ponting to the point where he was leaving balls that hit him on the pad and just missed the stumps. He had the world's greatest batsman in complete knots. Not only this, but he can move the ball both ways, an underrated facet in terms of deciphering the truly special bowlers. He is quick too!:happy:

He has also shown improvement, something which no Indian pacer has shown in their first few months - the best before him has been sustained potential by Pathan and we all know how that turned out. In Bangladesh, he bowled at 130kph and looked like Joe Average, but in Australia (I am aware of the condition difference), he has bowled at 145kph, swung it in and seamed the odd one away, a ball which has never failed to catch the edge. He also possesses stamina to match any bowler in the world, being able to bowl seven to eight overs at 140kph with no tangible loss in accuracy. He is a future star, but how to handle him without burning him out is certainly one to be discussed, especially since India have many pacers of the same sort of standard at this point in time to rotate.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It takes a lot for me to admit I am wrong and me doing so over thinking that Ishant is just another new Indian pacer is no different.

Ishant has troubled Ricky Ponting to the point where he was leaving balls that hit him on the pad and just missed the stumps. He had the world's greatest batsman in complete knots. Not only this, but he can move the ball both ways, an underrated facet in terms of deciphering the truly special bowlers. He is quick too!:happy:

He has also shown improvement, something which no Indian pacer has shown in their first few months - the best before him has been sustained potential by Pathan and we all know how that turned out. In Bangladesh, he bowled at 130kph and looked like Joe Average, but in Australia (I am aware of the condition difference), he has bowled at 145kph, swung it in and seamed the odd one away, a ball which has never failed to catch the edge. He also possesses stamina to match any bowler in the world, being able to bowl seven to eight overs at 140kph with no tangible loss in accuracy. He is a future star, but how to handle him without burning him out is certainly one to be discussed, especially since India have many pacers of the same sort of standard at this point in time to rotate.
Indeed. I would like t see him rested for a few ODIs from time to time, even a couple of home tests... Juz want to see the lad develop completely with a lot more overs in domestic cricket before he becomes the full fledged leader of our bowling attack.

Touchwood, of course. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Tremlett love wasn't from Australians because he had come to their shores at 19 years old and troubled the best batsman of the last 4 years though.

I think his Perth spell to Ponting pretty much made people really sit up and take notice, and he has just continued to show promise since then. Just curious if you watched it? He bowled 8 overs staight I believe, and it was 8 overs of complete dominance.

Tremlett is all just about potential based on certain attributes, just like Mahmood, Plunkett, Munaf Patel and some others.

I think what Ishant has done is have almost all of these bowler's attributes and put them to good use whilst being thrown in the deep end at such a young age.

That and really nowadays if you consistently trouble Ponting with pace, people will sit up and take notice. Its like a litmus test.

I must say I'm a little surprised to see you didn't see the fuss. Yesterday is an example where he removed Ponting and Symonds getting them to defend. That's the mark of a good bowler IMO, more than them being removed through attacking shos (as irfan stated above).

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah I've seen all these things and been impressed don't get me wrong, watched nearly all his work this series but I'm still not convinced he'll ever become anything too much of note or even be in the frame in say a year. Wouldn't be surprised if he went from strength to strength but at the same time I don't get the frothing - call me a bad judge but I don't see it.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Never seen him bowl so motivated by this thread Ive checked out what limited stuff is available.

Interesting.

subshakerz

International Coach
I hope he doesn't get hyped up to the point Irfan Pathan and Munaf Patel were, the Indian media are always waiting for 'the next big thing'. I really don't like judging young cricketers until they've played a year or two of cricket, but he definitely shows promise...

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
The Tremlett love wasn't from Australians because he had come to their shores at 19 years old and troubled the best batsman of the last 4 years though.

I think his Perth spell to Ponting pretty much made people really sit up and take notice, and he has just continued to show promise since then. Just curious if you watched it? He bowled 8 overs staight I believe, and it was 8 overs of complete dominance.
I've seen every bowler bowl spells of complete dominance( even Munaf, Ganguly, Collingwood, Sami). I'd wait a year or so before saying he is one of the best bowlers in the world because lets be honest, he may not even be in the Indian side after an year. But yeah, he does look like he will have a successful career.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think he has potential and could be a long term success, but one series is not enough to judge. Let him play and develop for the next two years, and then we'll see where we stand.

Top_Cat

I think he has potential and could be a long term success, but one series is not enough to judge. Let him play and develop for the next two years, and then we'll see where we stand.
Indeed. We've not seen how he comes back from injury yet either. That's the real Test for a quick in trusting your body again after a major injury.

Majin

International Debutant
Pretty much. Far too early to make any sort of call like that. The last time a 19 year old Indian seamer had a good debut in Australia there were calls of the new Wasim Akram being here, and we all know what happened next :p

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty much. Far too early to make any sort of call like that. The last time a 19 year old Indian seamer had a good debut in Australia there were calls of the new Wasim Akram being here, and we all know what happened next :p
Pathan did not produce good spells like Ishant, he produced the odd good delivery. It is easy to compare Ishant to every Indian pacer before him, but there is a difference. Pathan lost swing due to a very strange action simply losing its timing. Ishant Sharma has an orthodox action and his strength (height), will not simply desert him. Pathan was not praised by the Australian media as a possible world beater either - I am not saying that the praise is not overdue, but just reiterating that they are separate circumstances.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't think this is overly premature.

Obviously if he starts buying into it, it could be a problem but he looks like a gun and a number of experts and succesful ex-players have been in agreement. I agree with one of the previous poster howevers, he needs to build up his strength and bulk up a little in order to avoid injuries. India have to be careful not to overwork him before this happens.