• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best umpires in world cricket!

James

Cricket Web Owner
The Australian team were asked who they thought were the top eight umpires in world cricket when the VB Series was being played. They could only come up with four which are below and said that umpiring is at its worst state ever:

* Stephen Bucknor
* Billy Bowden
* Simon Taufel
* Peter Willey

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Billy Bowden is a great umpire, even though he umpires a little different to the norm. He actually has a great eye & im pleased that the Australians have put him forward

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Martin Crowe said he was talking to Shane Warne in Aus & said that Australia can't stand Darryl Hair or Darryl Sheppard

Andre

International Regular
Im pleased to see Taufel there, he is brilliant. Next year, however, there will no longer be the rule of 2 umpires from each nation. A panel complied with the 10 (I think, im not sure on the numbers) best umpires will do international matches in an effort to lift the standard of umpiring.

Sam

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Simon Taufel is awful same with Bily Bowden the clown.

[Edited on 2/22/02 by James]

James

Cricket Web Owner
Simon Taufel is a good consistent umpire I think although I agree with your assessment of Bowden. Isn't very good at all.

Cybersmurf

U19 Cricketer
yeah, as being a kiwi i still say that billy is a bad ump, i agree with taufell being in the list though, and Bucknor is the best ump i have ever seen

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Taufel is very good as is Bucknor. Who was the South African guy who umpired in the first test recently. Was it Koertzen???? He seems pretty good.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah i heard about reiffel.....
at least the quicks will get there wickets when they appeal....
In my opinion there is no doubt that Steve Bucknor is the worlds best Umpy, i'd also like to throw venkatrgavans name into that category as well...
I don't think anyone will beat good old Dicky bird....
And as for Bowden the assesment of Sam's earlier that he is a clown couldn't be more true.......

G

The Indan umpires are generally good, but when they make mistakes they are a bit dodgy.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
1.Steve Bucknor
2.David Shephead
3.Srinivas Venkataraghavan
4.Rudi Koertzen

Harold Dickie Bird - ALL TIME!!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
As an Aussie (female) umpire and having been trained by him personally, Simon Taufel IMHO is the best umpire in the game.

David Sheppard, Steve Bucknor and Venkat. are my top four.

Can't wait to hopefully umpire with Simon this coming summer!! :P

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I was pretty Furious when Bowden or some Nz umpire wasnt called upon to be on the Umpiring panel

I must say that was a bit unfair , our umpires are good