Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Slow death of international cricket

the problem I have with England and everyone saying how they'll beat the aussies next year is that I just simply cannot see England beating Australia in 3 tests out of 5. For England to win the series they must hope that several tests get rained out and drawn I feel. Australia put a huge amount of preparation into the Indian series and got the results they wanted, and I get the feeling it will be the same in England.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Sam
    the problem I have with England and everyone saying how they'll beat the aussies next year is that I just simply cannot see England beating Australia in 3 tests out of 5. For England to win the series they must hope that several tests get rained out and drawn I feel. Australia put a huge amount of preparation into the Indian series and got the results they wanted, and I get the feeling it will be the same in England.
    I would be absolutely astonished if they won.. True, they have more of a chance than in the last decade.. But that is like "no chance plus a little bit".. Its not going to happen to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

England did beat Australia in the Champions Trophy, and are on hot form on tests, we can see something here, wonder how struss will go,
    Jason Gillespie = Best Bowler and Batsman of South Australia
    CW Record Stats http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=23910

if england continues its current form, the next ashes series will be the most hotly contested one in recent years....but i still don't see england beating the aussies in a five test series....unless it's a combination of a couple of matches being rained out, the australian team becoming severely depleted due to injuries, most fit players suffering a lack of form and the english squad playing the series of their lives....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    if england continues its current form, the next ashes series will be the most hotly contested one in recent years....but i still don't see england beating the aussies in a five test series....unless it's a combination of a couple of matches being rained out, the australian team becoming severely depleted due to injuries, most fit players suffering a lack of form and the english squad playing the series of their lives....
    And to boot quite a few england players our out of form
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    i would hate to bring the squid to the dinner table. but aussie has a 6 - 1 ratio of a bad umpire judgement go in their favour and against thier oppostion therefore any team that faces them they will recieve up to 6 decessions thta will ever go against their batsmen and bowlers to 1 decession for the aussies. Until the icc implement the use of technology the umpires will continue this 6 - 1 ratio because the statistic plainly say australia are the best side, and surely langer or hayden cant get a plumb lbw on the first over. the greatest team doesnt lose a batsmen that early like it or not umpires are subconsciously thinking that way. The great thing about technology is it has know conscience.
    Last edited by J.Coney; 07-01-2005 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster
    International Cricket is dying:

Here is what I mean by death of International Cricket:

1st Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

Result: Australia Win

2nd Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

3rd Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

4th Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

5th Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

6th Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

ODI Series (Tri Series)

Team Played Won Lost

Australia 6 6 0
    Other Team 6 3 3
    Other Team 6 1 5

Or ODI Series between two nations:

Australia 3-0 victory against Other Team

Its always been like this for the past 6-7 years. This is crickets least competitive period ever. No other team holds a candle to Australia, and im getting a little tired of seeing one sided garbage on display on the television.

Hell I rather watch Snooker on TV. For once I would like to see Australia be beaten, or be close to beaten.

After VVS Laxman's 281, or Mark Butchers 173 I have not seen this happen often enough!!!!

I appreciate what Australia have done for cricket, but its getting too predictably one sided now.
    my thoughts exactly, mate.
    Code:
    CW CRICKET - May 2009
    FC
    M      I     NO    Runs      Avg      Ct      50s      100s      HS
    83    157   8      4237    28.44      79      22         4       169*

O     W    Avg   SR
    45    18   18.7  27

List - A
    M      I      Runs      Avg      Ct    50s    100s      HS
    179   174    5828      37.84     67    48     3        121

OD
    M      I      Runs      Avg    Ct      50s      100s      HS    SR
    27    24     716      35.80    15      6         0       71*   74.58

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit4Six
    looking back at aus last year their dominance has been... awesome.
    1) sri lanka beaten
    2) india at home beaten
    3) pak beaten
    4) NZ beaten

but at the same time they havent played the team i believe will dethrone them - england!
    Beating Pakistan and New Zealand isn't exactly a huge achievement ATM.
    Winning in Sri Lanka and India is a totally different matter - hardly anyone has ever done it in recent times.
    It was interesting that people, writing at the time of Aus-Ind in 2003\04, with Stephen Waugh going into retirement and Glenn McGrath in the "corridor of uncertainty" with his ankle and Shane Warne yet to return from suspension, were thinking genuinely of the possibility of Australia going downhill - and fast.
    People actually seemed to believe that England winning at The SCG in 2002\03 had begun the slippery slope.
    I see no evidence of that myself and this year they have conquered probably cricket's two biggest challenges.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    i agree..I think England are the better team,and that should shine through in the next couple of tests
    If anything shines through the clouds of the Highvelt in the next 2 weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    You could also say that England haven't played Aus yet and thus are yet to have a real test.
    Depends what you call a "real test" - if playing the best is the only real test, then all cricket not involving Australia is pointless.
    In 2004 England won 3-0 in The Caribbean, something that apparently no-one has ever done before (yes - not even Australia could manage it!). They then went through the summer with a 100% record, something I don't think means much more than winning 3 and drawing 3 would have done 8 years ago - results are the way the game is going ATM. Yet England played well enough to show that they were convincingly better than two other mid-table teams, which in itself is a relief after drawing at home to Pakistan, in New Zealand and at home to India in the 3 previous years, all series which should have been won.
    England's true test IMO is in the current series - I don't think they have a real chance of beating Australia and nor do many people other than the "bring on the Aussies!" brigade.
    If they win in South Africa, though, they will have achieved something quite special.
    But as I've come to realise recently (thanks in no small part to wpdavid) - "it's a very long time since England have endured a successful run against top-of-the-tree quality opposition". It is nice, really, to simply be beating convincingly the other sides in mid-table, and as I say, that is the real test at present.
    Seriously, when was the last time England were the best side in The World? Briefly in the 1950s, yes, but otherwise before WW1 was the only time.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    I would be absolutely astonished if they won.. True, they have more of a chance than in the last decade.. But that is like "no chance plus a little bit".. Its not going to happen to be honest.
    We've "had a better chance than in the last decade" in at least the last 4, and I don't remember any before that so it's quite possible that we apparently did then, too.
    The most ridiculous one was 2002\03, but in 2001 I genuinely believed it... didn't take long for injuries, dropped catches and batting collapses to return in-full-measure... and it's always just before The Ashes starts (I see a similar pattern taking shape - we wait to see whether it'll be reversed).

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster
    International Cricket is dying:

Here is what I mean by death of International Cricket:

1st Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

2nd Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

3rd Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

4th Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

5th Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

6th Test: Australia v Any team on the planet

ODI Series (Tri Series)

Team Played Won Lost

Australia 6 6 0
    Other Team 6 3 3
    Other Team 6 1 5

Or ODI Series between two nations:

Australia 3-0 victory against Other Team

Its always been like this for the past 6-7 years. This is crickets least competitive period ever. No other team holds a candle to Australia, and im getting a little tired of seeing one sided garbage on display on the television.

Hell I rather watch Snooker on TV. For once I would like to see Australia be beaten, or be close to beaten.

After VVS Laxman's 281, or Mark Butchers 173 I have not seen this happen often enough!!!!

I appreciate what Australia have done for cricket, but its getting too predictably one sided now.
    Here is an ODI for the future

Australia 616/5 dec. (Symonds 489, Mani 2/116, Bvute 1/26)
    Third world "Minister of Corruption XI" 219 (Taibu 217*)

Several spectators were wounded when local police opened fire on a young kid carrying a bottle of Coca Cola..

Because Pepsi had agreed to sponsor the muder\torture-empowered Govornment...

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Coney
    i would hate to bring the squid to the dinner table. but aussie has a 6 - 1 ratio of a bad umpire judgement go in their favour and against thier oppostion therefore any team that faces them they will recieve up to 6 decessions thta will ever go against their batsmen and bowlers to 1 decession for the aussies. Until the icc implement the use of technology the umpires will continue this 6 - 1 ratio because the statistic plainly say australia are the best side, and surely langer or hayden cant get a plumb lbw on the first over. the greatest team doesnt lose a batsmen that early like it or not umpires are subconsciously thinking that way. The great thing about technology is it has know conscience.
    Where did the 6-1 stat come from just out of interest?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Depends what you call a "real test" - if playing the best is the only real test, then all cricket not involving Australia is pointless.
    In 2004 England won 3-0 in The Caribbean, something that apparently no-one has ever done before (yes - not even Australia could manage it!). They then went through the summer with a 100% record, something I don't think means much more than winning 3 and drawing 3 would have done 8 years ago - results are the way the game is going ATM. Yet England played well enough to show that they were convincingly better than two other mid-table teams, which in itself is a relief after drawing at home to Pakistan, in New Zealand and at home to India in the 3 previous years, all series which should have been won.
    England's true test IMO is in the current series - I don't think they have a real chance of beating Australia and nor do many people other than the "bring on the Aussies!" brigade.
    If they win in South Africa, though, they will have achieved something quite special.
    But as I've come to realise recently (thanks in no small part to wpdavid) - "it's a very long time since England have endured a successful run against top-of-the-tree quality opposition". It is nice, really, to simply be beating convincingly the other sides in mid-table, and as I say, that is the real test at present.
    Seriously, when was the last time England were the best side in The World? Briefly in the 1950s, yes, but otherwise before WW1 was the only time.
    That was posted in response to a comment that Australia have been dominant, but haven't played England yet.........the same also works in reverse.

I think this is the best English team for a long, long time and they certainly have a chance if things go their way. If you're going to settle for beating mid-table teams though you probably aren't up to the challenge as there seems to be a large gap between them and Oz. Somehow I've got my doubts though that the English team will be in that frame of mind currently.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information