Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow death of international cricket

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Caddick took 7/94 in the 5th Test of the recent Ashes series and unlike Shoaib's spell, it won England the match, making it more important in my opinion.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Warrior, it is selecting a Rest of the World XI to play an exhibition match, therefore the Rest of the World XI will be selected on who's best, not who's performed against one team.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    How can Australia be killing international cricket? They have raised the level at which it is played, and taken it to new heights.
    so the reality is ..... rather than Australia being responsible for the 'slow death', it is the responsibility of the rest of the cricket playing nations for being unable to adjust to the raising of the bar by the Australians!!!! All the Aussies have done is to have shown us our shortcomings and to have dispelled any myths we may have had about our own abilities!!!!

hey anzac u looking forward to a test up there in darwin?
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I considered Butcher and Hussain but the other nine batsmen selected I thought had the edge, and I wanted to keep the squad down to a sensible(-ish) size.

And you're right about the (+1) Cloete
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    And you're right about the (+1) Cloete
    lol: poor old ajit :P:P

U19 Cricketer
    Originally posted by marc71178
    Warrior, it is selecting a Rest of the World XI to play an exhibition match, therefore the Rest of the World XI will be selected on who's best, not who's performed against one team.
    Ok, i got your point.

Caddick took 7/94 in the 5th Test of the recent Ashes series and unlike Shoaib's spell, it won England the match, making it more important in my opinion
    Actually i would say that both spell were equally important, Akhter did his job well by dismissing Australia for 120+ on dead pitch, it were the Pakistani batsmen that failed to chase a small total for a victory!

Originally posted by anzac
    so the reality is ..... rather than Australia being responsible for the 'slow death', it is the responsibility of the rest of the cricket playing nations for being unable to adjust to the raising of the bar by the Australians!!!! All the Aussies have done is to have shown us our shortcomings and to have dispelled any myths we may have had about our own abilities!!!!

You really can't blame someone for not being as good as you are

PY
    Why are people putting down Inzy in their World XI's/squads? Bit puzzling on current form in ODI's and not that special in Tests recently.

Just seen Caddick in PWC Top 10 Test bowlers, his best rating was this winter, thought he'd had better series than his Ashes series.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

International Debutant
    Originally posted by Cloete
    hey anzac u looking forward to a test up there in darwin?
    yep you betcha - even if it is on a brand new field (let alone wicket) and against Bangladesh with the possibility of a 2nd string Aus team!!!!!!

International Debutant
    Originally posted by krkode
    You really can't blame someone for not being as good as you are
    you can when they start bitching about it being bad for the game etc etc etc - yadda yadda yadda!!!!!!!

IMO the Aussies came up with a game plan to counter the WI dominance of the late '70s - '80s, and were determined not to allow themselves to be so dominated again. If anyone was going to do it they were determined it was going to be them!

The rest of us missed the point and are now also rans fighting over the scraps they allow us! When key players (bowlers) from this current Aussie squad retire they may not be as dominant as they are now, but they will still remain the team to beat and still dominate world cricket in both test & ODI formats.

hey and I'm not even an Aussie!!!!!!

Originally posted by anzac
    you can when they start bitching about it being bad for the game etc etc etc - yadda yadda yadda!!!!!!!
    Well, the players aren't bitching about anything. It's them that matter here :duh:

International Debutant
    Originally posted by krkode
    Well, the players aren't bitching about anything. It's them that matter here :duh:
    fair enough - but the game should always be bigger than any group or individuals. Further more some players would not want to make too much noise otherwise they may attract unwanted attention to themselves and be called to answer for their lack of performance - overpaid & under performing!!!

it's just a little disappointing to see certain elements (fans, press, administrators) having a negative outlook by claiming the Aussie domination is bad for the game. Most of the little I hear is mainly concerned with 'what to do about Australia', rather than 'how do we improve ourselves to their level'.

Some seem to think that this period of Aussie domination is an abhorration based upon the class of their current players, and that once they retire things will be 'back to normal', as per the WI experience. I for one do not subscribe to that view.

Pinball Champion!
    Yeah guys like Michael Clark and Martin Love would play in any other world line up...

I think that Aus will keep producing world class cricketers..Having been there it seems they just have all the facilities, the sports culture and setup to produce the best..

I would say SA come close, but not enough proportion of people play competitive cricket...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    No death to no one mate,

Cricket is good , and i like watching tons of it ,
    family , fitness etc all the other demands come with being a top level cricketer being paid truckloads... so if u cant handle down step down for someone who wants to...
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information