• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slow death of international cricket

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But it is a BEST of the REST not the best against Australia, so I probably wouldn't include Shoaib. He doesn't seem to have the discipline right now.

Also, if it was the best against the Aussies, wouldn't Harbhajan get a call?
A team is selected keeping in mind the strength and weakness of the opposition.As such i would like to have Akhter in the Squad if he's fully fit because the bowler that last troubled Ausssies in a test match was none other than Akhter.

Harbhajan should definately be in the team, especially if the test match is being played on subcontinent!

Langeveldt

Soutie
My eleven

1.M Attapattu
2.H Gibbs
3.R Dravid
4.S Tendulkar
5.J Kallis
6.S Fleming
7.M Boucher
8.S Pollock
9.H Singh
10.W Vaas
11.S Bond

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
My eleven

1.M Attapattu
2.H Gibbs
3.R Dravid
4.S Tendulkar
5.J Kallis
6.S Fleming
7.M Boucher
8.S Pollock
9.H Singh
10.W Vaas
11.S Bond
I guess Flemming is in the team just coz of captaincy.Vaughan exclusion cannot be justified and i wouldn't like Vaas to be in the team either.
Do you guys think that Harb should be preferred over Murali??

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
For tests, the rest of the world could look like:

Michael Vaughan
Herschelle Gibbs
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Shaun Pollock
Mark Boucher
Vasbert Drakes
Chaminda Vaas
Shane Bond
Muthiah Muralitharan

For ODIs:

Sachin Tendulkar
Herschelle Gibbs
Brian Lara
Shiv Chanderpaul
Stephen Fleming
Shaun Pollock
Ridley Jacobs
Vasbert Drakes
Chaminda Vaas
Shane Bond
Muthiah Muralitharan

krkode

State Captain
warrioryohannan said:
Do you guys think that Harb should be preferred over Murali??
Murali is not so bad against Australia either, so I would have Harb in my team only if we went with two spinners :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not sure if I can get down to an eleven, so I'll think up a RoW squad (combined Tests and ODIs):

This is a Preliminary Squad of 30(+1) - Blame the ICC ;)

Openers (5)
Michael Vaughan
Mark Richardson
Herschelle Gibbs
Sanath Jayasuriya
Marvan Atapattu

Batsmen (9)
Brian Lara
Ramnaresh Sarwan
*Stephen Fleming
Andy Flower
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Saurav Ganguly
Virender Sehwag
Inzamam-ul-Haq

Wicketkeepers (3)
Mark Boucher
Rashid Latif
Kumar Sangakkara

All-Rounders (5)
Andy Flintoff
Chris Cairns
Jacques Kallis
Shaun Pollock
Ajit Agarkar

Spinners (3)
Harbhajan Singh
Saqlain Mushtaq
Muttiah Muralitharan

Fast Bowlers (6)
Andrew Caddick
Mervyn Dillon
Shane Bond
Makhaya Ntini
Shoaib Akhtar
Chaminda Vaas

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
warrioryohannan said:
A team is selected keeping in mind the strength and weakness of the opposition.As such i would like to have Akhter in the Squad if he's fully fit because the bowler that last troubled Ausssies in a test match was none other than Akhter.
No, the team would be selected as the best players, not based on efforts against one team

Oh, and I think you'll find it is not Shoaib, but one Andrew Caddick.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Not sure if I can get down to an eleven, so I'll think up a RoW squad (combined Tests and ODIs):

This is a Preliminary Squad of 30(+1) - Blame the ICC ;)
Erm Neil, I somewhat question how you've ignored so many English middle order players - I'd have thought on current form that at least Hussain and Butcher are worthy.

Also, I guess Kumar's batting's got him in.

Finally, great 5th All rounder, no arguments there ;)

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
No, the team would be selected as the best players, not based on efforts against one team

Oh, and I think you'll find it is not Shoaib, but one Andrew Caddick.

We are selecting a team to play against Aussies, i.e against ONE TEAM, and whoever has been doing well against them got to be considered for selection.No point in picking up a player that has a good overall record but an awful one against Australia.Thats is the reason as to why most of the people has Shane Bond in their team, coz of his impressive record against Australia!!

And i don't know about Caddick, but i know that Akhter prefered remarkably well in the last test series against Aus, and even in onedayers he has been doing well against them!

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Caddick took 7/94 in the 5th Test of the recent Ashes series and unlike Shoaib's spell, it won England the match, making it more important in my opinion.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Warrior, it is selecting a Rest of the World XI to play an exhibition match, therefore the Rest of the World XI will be selected on who's best, not who's performed against one team.

anzac

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
How can Australia be killing international cricket? They have raised the level at which it is played, and taken it to new heights.
so the reality is ..... rather than Australia being responsible for the 'slow death', it is the responsibility of the rest of the cricket playing nations for being unable to adjust to the raising of the bar by the Australians!!!! All the Aussies have done is to have shown us our shortcomings and to have dispelled any myths we may have had about our own abilities!!!!

;)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I considered Butcher and Hussain but the other nine batsmen selected I thought had the edge, and I wanted to keep the squad down to a sensible(-ish) size.

And you're right about the (+1) Cloete :)

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Warrior, it is selecting a Rest of the World XI to play an exhibition match, therefore the Rest of the World XI will be selected on who's best, not who's performed against one team.
Ok, i got your point.

Caddick took 7/94 in the 5th Test of the recent Ashes series and unlike Shoaib's spell, it won England the match, making it more important in my opinion
Actually i would say that both spell were equally important, Akhter did his job well by dismissing Australia for 120+ on dead pitch, it were the Pakistani batsmen that failed to chase a small total for a victory!

krkode

State Captain
anzac said:
so the reality is ..... rather than Australia being responsible for the 'slow death', it is the responsibility of the rest of the cricket playing nations for being unable to adjust to the raising of the bar by the Australians!!!! All the Aussies have done is to have shown us our shortcomings and to have dispelled any myths we may have had about our own abilities!!!!

;)
You really can't blame someone for not being as good as you are ;)

PY

International Coach
Why are people putting down Inzy in their World XI's/squads? Bit puzzling on current form in ODI's and not that special in Tests recently.

Just seen Caddick in PWC Top 10 Test bowlers, his best rating was this winter, thought he'd had better series than his Ashes series.

anzac

International Debutant
Cloete said:
hey anzac u looking forward to a test up there in darwin?
yep you betcha - even if it is on a brand new field (let alone wicket) and against Bangladesh with the possibility of a 2nd string Aus team!!!!!!

:D