Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quota issue in South Africa costing Mickey Arthur his job?

Quota issue in South Africa costing Mickey Arthur his job?

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/sout...ry/335415.html

Figured it deserved its own thread rather than simply going in the SA in Bangladesh tour thread.

Thoughts? I'm pretty sure we all have a universal opinion that in general, the idea of quotas (and the transformation policy, or at least how it is being implemented) in South African selection is fairly poor. I know I've read various opinions as to whether the influence of quotas is exaggerated or not, and whereby some coloured players are accused of only getting in on quotas when in fact their performances back up their selection.

However if Mickey Arthur's job as coach is under threat because of the squad he helped select for the Bangladesh tour, then there could be a serious problem.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Winning a world cup didn't keep Jake White in a job is all I'm saying...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quotas are a cancer that is really hurting SA cricket. Simple as.

Ive been involved in the system and its a mess. Keeping a certain number of places at junior cricket, provincial cricket, franchise cricket and International cricket for non-whites isnt going to make Blacks want to abandon the sports they culturally and historically play and make them great at cricket.

The Western Cape will always produce non-white talent as it is a place where the sport is culturally important. However, Gauteng (where Jo'burg and Pretoria are located) has invested 10s of millions of rand on Black cricket development but Soccer and Boxing still dominate.

Its accurate, but maybe an oversimplification, to say the Black talent that is produced comes for the same wealthy schools with a cricket tradition that the White players come from. The huge investment in poor areas has reaped very little in terms of interest or talent. There is also no reason why it should. People play what they want, and the best athletes in a region tend to play the traditional sports.

Ive no doubt that if baseball invested heavily in the UK there would be a decent participation, but the key is that the best athletes and ball players would still be drawn to Football, Cricket, Union and League first.

Keeping spaces for non-white players weakens SA cricket as a competition, doesnt make non-white talent work hard to develop their game and drives White talent away from the game.

As always the issue has nothing to do with sport but politics and politicians that have (self confessed) no regard for the success of a team but only its demographics.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Would be slightly ironic if Mickey Arthur is sacked due to transformation issues considering only in November he was hailed as being a patron of transformation within South African cricket. He even kept his job after the World Cup for he walked the governmental line and selected a squad with coloured cricketers he had no intention of playing.

Pinball Champion!
    Pretty much agree with what Goughy said, and lest we forget, quotas are not only in place on the sports field but in every day life.. Our politics is overtaking us as I heard it so beautifully put a while back.. Ironic that in 95 when we lifted the rugby world cup it was seen as bringing a nation together, and now it seems to be a bit of an embaressment to the establishment that white South Africa still seems to be so succesful..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

U19 Vice-Captain
    You pick your best players, and that should be the end of the argument. South Africa has progressed as a country, this 'transformation policy' is a joke.

flyplane Champion! Alien Invasion Champion! Bubble Trouble Champion!
    This is ridiculous, especially coming on the heels of the government denouncing the quota system in sport after the RWC. How embarrassing for an amazing player like Herschelle Gibbs when things like this come up, it is so demeaning, and I fail to understand how Arendse can't see that.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Pick your best team, full stop, end of story!

If it contains 11 coloured players, or 11 white players, so be it. Pick your best XI for the conditions.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Quotas are merely a legal cover for racism/sexism/insert your favourite -ism here.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    This is ridiculous, especially coming on the heels of the government denouncing the quota system in sport after the RWC. How embarrassing for an amazing player like Herschelle Gibbs when things like this come up, it is so demeaning, and I fail to understand how Arendse can't see that.
    Did they really? I'm pleasantly surprised..

The deadset worst thing about the quota system, is that whenever a coloured person of any special ability gets picked for a position because they deserve it (I'm thinking our new rugby coach, and guys like Monde Zondeki), they just get the token tag wrapped around them before they have even arrived at their position..

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    IMO if they want to encourage black atheletes, they should target them at the lowest level and give them scholarships to schools that have traditionally produced good players. From that point on, there should be no quotas and the best players should be selected to go forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

flyplane Champion! Alien Invasion Champion! Bubble Trouble Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Did they really? I'm pleasantly surprised..
    http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/...7111034903.asp

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    IMO if they want to encourage black atheletes, they should target them at the lowest level and give them scholarships to schools that have traditionally produced good players. From that point on, there should be no quotas and the best players should be selected to go forward.
    The problem is they want it to be immediate, no patience at all. I think they are trying to do that too now though. Anyway CSA has announced the issue between Arendse and Arthur will be dealt with internally.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I like Arthur, and I'm glad he's sticking up for himself. The whole quota issue is ridiculous, and always has been. Unfortunately I can't see it being fixed anytime soon.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Pinball Champion!
    http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...3324302C456293

Deadset disgrace, tempted to boycott national games as a fan, but probably too few of us will be willing to do so in order to make any sort of a difference... Bleak day for South African sport and our "democratic process"

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Just another chapter in the ridiciulous saga.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information