• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quota issue in South Africa costing Mickey Arthur his job?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
At the moment, Prince and Ntini are there on merit. Should Gibbs still be there? No, I don't think so, and I think that the colour of his skin has had some impact upon his prolonged prescence in the Test side.

Also, if you have four black players who are very good players you could argue that they are there on merit. That doesn't mean there isn't a quota system in place, merely that South Africa haven't needed to 'fill' it with lesser players.
Big call. Everyone knows Gibbs is a dangerous player when in form. He's been in a slump and did get dropped from the Test Side, only to come back after an injury.

He has a big problem with a certain ball where he gets bowled alot, but then he can produce an amazing 100 like he did in the last one day series against West Indies.

This is the worst thing if they are still picking players cause of their colour. Surely people can admire cricketers who are a different colour. I hate how skin colour is so much more of an issue then - eye colour, RH/LH, Star Sign etc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At the moment, Prince and Ntini are there on merit. Should Gibbs still be there? No, I don't think so, and I think that the colour of his skin has had some impact upon his prolonged prescence in the Test side.

Also, if you have four black players who are very good players you could argue that they are there on merit. That doesn't mean there isn't a quota system in place, merely that South Africa haven't needed to 'fill' it with lesser players.
I don't think Gibbs is there based on the colour of his skin as such. He's there on his good record - they're backing him out of a slump. He got dropped recently for McKenzie anwyay so his spot isn't particularly safe.

The issue, however, isn't so much the elevens that get selected to play for South Africa, but the effect of these quotas on lower levels. There really haven't been that many cases of "quota players" in the national team lately, IMO, but the impact of these quotas in first class cricket and even levels lower than this would obviously be immense if they were as bad as I'm led to believe.

Protean

State Regular
I don't think Gibbs is there based on the colour of his skin as such. He's there on his good record - they're backing him out of a slump. He got dropped recently for McKenzie anwyay so his spot isn't particularly safe.
I agree with you up until now, but Arthur tried to put McKenzie back in for Bangladesh and now has been removed as a selector so obviously the reason for his inclusion is now very much debatable.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big call. Everyone knows Gibbs is a dangerous player when in form. He's been in a slump and did get dropped from the Test Side, only to come back after an injury.

He has a big problem with a certain ball where he gets bowled alot, but then he can produce an amazing 100 like he did in the last one day series against West Indies.

This is the worst thing if they are still picking players cause of their colour. Surely people can admire cricketers who are a different colour. I hate how skin colour is so much more of an issue then - eye colour, RH/LH, Star Sign etc.
Maybe it's just something I think, but I do beleive that part of the reason Gibbs has maintained his place in the side for so long is the colour of his skin. Obviously the selectors are backing him to come out of a slump, but with so many talented batsmen in South African domestic cricket, it seems unusual to persist with him for so long.

Beleg

International Regular
those of you whoa re doubting the implementation of these quotas in national team woul ddo well to read the first cricinfo story on the dispute. arthur more or less explicitly admits that they were chosing eithe 4 or 6 black players every game which should have beeen satisfactory enough for the selectors....

now if that's not indictive of the quotas being well in effect then i dont know what is.

Langeveldt

Soutie
This makes me feel sick. I hope the players stand by their threats to withdraw from the tour, especially the players who are being pushed by the CSA. I mean really, would you want to tour when it has become public knowledge that the coach didn't think you deserved to and you are only going because of the colour of your skin?
Yeah good call, I think the only thing that would stop the system is a full player strike by both black and white players.. I know Ashwell Prince is very vociferous against the quota system.. I don't think we would reach the Zim situation where they would just pick 11 random 'yes men' to replace them..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah good call, I think the only thing that would stop the system is a full player strike by both black and white players.. I know Ashwell Prince is very vociferous against the quota system.. I don't think we would reach the Zim situation where they would just pick 11 random 'yes men' to replace them..
To be fair I'd say Prince himself was initially something of a quota-inspired pick. He's done enough now to be picked on merit, but I don't think him being a Cape Coloured did his chances any harm in the first place.

The whole "picked by colour quota" thing doesn't seem to be evenly applied tho; your namesake was very nearly (or maybe very actually, CBA to check) 30 when he got a call & certainly looks international class. As he's a non-white one might've expected him to have got a go earlier.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair I'd say Prince himself was initially something of a quota-inspired pick. He's done enough now to be picked on merit, but I don't think him being a Cape Coloured did his chances any harm in the first place.

The whole "picked by colour quota" thing doesn't seem to be evenly applied tho; your namesake was very nearly (or maybe very actually, CBA to check) 30 when he got a call & certainly looks international class. As he's a non-white one might've expected him to have got a go earlier.
ODI debut in 2001 (in his mid/late 20s) and was kept around for a few years as part of the quota system without playing much.

Had an impressive Test debut but nothing more than an ordinary International cricketer.

Played a lot of cricket when SA bowling resources were pretty bare and maybe desereved a go despite a moderate FC domestic record.

Would have been impossible (even with quotas) to play him earlier due to him not being a fulltime cricketer and the wealth of bowling SA possessed. Given a far more highly touted peer of his like Terbrugge only got 7 Tests in a 6 year period would be impossible to see how Langeveldt could have got picked before he did.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No idea whats going on. Read this thread about Arthur's removal from selector then went to Cricinfo to read he's staying on.

All very confusing, and unfortunate for SA cricket.