• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Kolpak players hurting English cricket?

James

Cricket Web Owner
The ECB has control over the centrally contracted players & can tell counties not to play them, but I'm pretty sure it can't require them to be played. Famously last year Ian Bell was released to Warwicks for a 20/20 quarter-final & then told his services weren't required...
I see - thanks for clearing that up :)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I would disagree with that. My personal opinion is that the domestic structure in every country is there to benefit the national team and what ever it takes to help improve the national team should be done.
The Counties don't think like that at all, if they did County Cricket in it's present form would cease to exist.

Disagree with this statement whole-heartedly. Utter myth, I remember the days before the foreign influx and it just meant that players like Jeff Thomas and Carlton Palmer were the best English midfielders we had, players with no technical skill whatsoever, yet they were the best England had to offer. We still managed not to qualify for the World Cup in '74, '78 and '94.

With regards to cricket it is getting depressing all the journeyman who aren't remotely good enough to play for their countries anymore coming here for a last pay packet. Yet if it raises the standard of the lamentable county championship, I'm not that bothered. We have too many first-class teams anyway, so I really think if the English players are decent they should get a game somewhere.

I know this isn't really a place to debate football, but when talking about the 1974 and 1978 World Cups that England didn't qualify for it should be pointed out that only 16 teams qualified not 24 or 32. Only winners of the qualifying groups qualified, in 1974 England were second to Poland who went on to finish 3rd in the World Cup and in 1978 England were knocked out in the qualifiers by Italy which could happen to anyone, and they also went on to finish 3rd in the tournament.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I still stand by my comment. He is an average player who I can't see ever playing for England.
I really fail to see how people can say comments like this having never seen them play or done any research into their achievements in cricket :dry:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I still stand by my comment. He is an average player who I can't see ever playing for England.
List-A average of 49.50 isn't something to play down for mine. S/R maybe a touch low but with an average like that he'd have to be a shout at selection in the near future, especially considering England's ODI team isn't exactly the best going around.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All I know is that Chris Taylor is an absolute gun for me in ICC 2002 so should therefore be in the English Test side.

sideshowtim

Banned
List-A average of 49.50 isn't something to play down for mine. S/R maybe a touch low but with an average like that he'd have to be a shout at selection in the near future, especially considering England's ODI team isn't exactly the best going around.
Am I missing something? The bloke has a List A average of 22.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much depends on the quality of the player and the country they come from (ie. Hamish Marshall and Pedro Collins, as stated above)

brockley

International Captain
Strengethns the depth of county cricket.
Its just not kolpak players but players on an eu passport or uk passport.
Kolpak players of a much higher standard than those on UK or EU.
That could change when the EU/australia treaty is signed.
Still surprised zimbabweans can have a kolpak deal,considering the bad blood between england and zimbabwe.
If that fell through then their would be no zimbabweans anymore,altho most would have qualified for england by then.
Wonder who sean ervine will choose australia or england.