• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marlon Samuels - A new name to throw in.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
He will be sent to the Biomechanics lab, *(don't know what happens there in reality)*, will come out of the lab with a certificate to bowl - Officially cleared!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fairly sure there was a fair bit of discussion regarding this during the Test series, and most of us came to the conclusion that Samuels definitely looks like he chucks his faster ball. I was reading the other day that if this is proven by the biomechanists that he will be banned from bowling that delivery. Are the umpires supposed to enforce that ban on the field of play? What will his punishment be if he bowls it, regardless of what the umpires or biomechanists say?

Ben Stinga

Cricket Spectator
I think some people worry too much about a flex of the elbow here or there.

When I see a guy stand at the crease and pitch baseball style, then I'll start to worry.

Until then....small potatoes!

pup11

International Coach
His action always seemed to be a bit circumspect to me, especially his quickish delivery, its just a surprise it took the umpires so long to report his action.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Fairly sure there was a fair bit of discussion regarding this during the Test series, and most of us came to the conclusion that Samuels definitely looks like he chucks his faster ball. I was reading the other day that if this is proven by the biomechanists that he will be banned from bowling that delivery. Are the umpires supposed to enforce that ban on the field of play? What will his punishment be if he bowls it, regardless of what the umpires or biomechanists say?
The punishment will probably be a no ball.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I don't know, his ODI bowling has been a real asset alongside Gayle recently, allowing West Indies to play without a frontline spinner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One might possibly say "not before time". Ridiculous that a problem which has appeared to be there (and certainly hasn't got any worse) has taken this long to attend to.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't he get 1/90 last outing in a test?

His opponents probably want him to bowl.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Tests his bowling hasn't often offered that much threat (not, obviously, that this should impact in any way upon whether or not he should be allowed to bowl) but in ODIs there have been far less effective bowlers going around. Especially those who are principally front-line batsmen.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest, I think that as a rule of thumb, anyone who can consistently bowl quicker balls at over 110kph should have their action informally looked at by the ICC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well TBH I've only ever seen Samuels and Afridi who can, and more than once I've seen Afridi's action questioned. Never noticed anything much myself - I've never looked too closely, but then again, the latter is a result of the former.