• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He would have been able to face better players in his formative years, and so learn faster as to what was required at Test Level.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry, but you shouldn't be teaching people in the Test team - what's the county game about in that case?
That only makes my point, form in county cricket means nothing, stronger.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So you should never learn anything playing tests? You're clutching at straws now.

Form in county cricket will translate to form in test cricket given experience, repeated experience, at a young age.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I didn't say that.

I said that county form is 90% likely to translate into test performances given experience at a young age.

There is less chance that it will translate to test form as the player gets older, but for someone to average such a level last season he has to have a chance.

Come on, he averaged 75.68!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry, didn't my list of the top 10 career averages show anything?

County form doesn't have 90% guarantee of success whatsoever - look at the successful current England players, and you'll find most of them aren't near the top of the averages.

As for giving Fulton a chance - why? We have 3 openers as it is pushing for 2 spots, all of whom are much better players than him (and actually average more, but that's beside the point)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No, as I pointed out, your list showed nothing as none of them had been given chances because of the selectors not giving credence to county cricket.

If a player averages 70 in county at a young age, 90% of the time he will translate to a good test player.

How did they average more than 75.68?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Look at their career averages.

Look at Fulton's.

No discussion there - Fulton has got lucky, but at 30 should never get a chance at Test Cricket - there are 3 current oipeners in the team better than him, plus those who went on the academy tour.

bryce

International Regular
david fulton currently captains the central districts minor district manawatu, which defeated my hometown hamilton(who were defending champions) for the national minor districts championship(hawke cup) and beat them, they are 2 dayers and fulton batted at 4 and scored 37 off 199 balls!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can't comment on that 37 off 199 unless I get more context.

Marc - I have already given my opinion on form/'class' - and you won't advance your argument by restating yours.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, and you'll never convinvce that Fulton is worth a go, because he has only ever had 1 good season.

Rich2001

International Captain
Yes, and you'll never convinvce that Fulton is worth a go, because he has only ever had 1 good season.
Yes he has had a good season, but remeber Ian Ward was picked on his Busta Cup form when the England A played there whats that 10 games at the most at least Fulton has played a full season also wouldn't you say in your opinion Fulton can't do any worse than Ian Ward 9 innings 129 runs @16.12 and U.Afzaal 6 innings 83 runs @ 16.60 but they or afzaal is still in the team.

Surley it can't hurt to give the guy a try if he fails then drop him but at least they can say they gave him a try, if he does well then they have found a guy whos still got 4-5 years of cricket in him.

And after all it does go agaist what the ECB said about a year ago that they will pick players on their form in the county game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So who do you drop of the openers then? Any of them, are a) younger, and b) better than Fulton, so absolutely no point in picking him.

[Edited on 4/3/02 by marc71178]

[Edited on 4/8/02 by James]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Vaughan has struggled in these last two series. Drop him and try Fulton vs the Sri Lankans or Indians this summer

[Edited on 4/8/02 by James]

Rich2001

International Captain
You can see if the openers play well in the first few games of the season. Or you could drop Ramps and play Fulton at 6. Or drop Foster and play Trescothick as a wicket-keeper. Or just wait and see if his form contniues before the India / Sri Lanka games, also Kent have games planned vs both these sides so you will see how he does agaist the India / Sri Lanka bolwers.

Also changing the subject England say they want to have Foster as their keeper, how he going to learn this year in the county game when Essex have signed A.Flower as their overseas player, just a thought.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Vaughan oozes class, and should not be dropped because of a "poor" run (he averaged 53 in India - is that what you call struggling?)

As for people bagging Ward - I'd have though the fact that he consistently averaged more than 35 as an opener in England had a bearing on his selection - to say he's a failure when he only had a chance to bat at number 6 or number 7 is unfair.

Fulton, as I keep saying has had 1 good season, and a lot of poor ones, and you cannot select Test players on that basis - they should at least be consistent at county level before promoting them to the highest level.