• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kumar Sangakkara from SL is the most overrated cricketer going around. He can score pretty bloody quickly and has some big scores to his credit, but SL can't get away from the fact that he lets them down with the gloves. Badly. India have a similar problem with their new keeper.

And to those who are bagging Brett Lee, just give him some time. Glenn McGrath wasn't a regular in the Aussie team until 1995, after he'd been playing cricket for just over two years, and even then it wasn't until around 1996 that he was considered world-class.

Sure, Brett doesn't have the trajectory of someone like McGrath or Gillespie but his speed and the fact he's a genuine swing bowler, unlike most guys in the Aussie squad, will hold him in good stead. As someone who's played against him, I can tell you it's only a matter of time before a batsman pisses him off enough to really motivate him to destroy opposition batting lineups.

And whoever said that Saqlain Mushtaq kill the Aussies, I beg to differ:

Tests

At Home: 2 wickets at 56
Away: 14 wickets at 34.14
Combined: 16 wickets at 36.87

Yeah, they must be so scared of him they figure they better belt him out of the attack so they don't have to face him! :D

[Edited on 3/11/02 by Top_Cat]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Definitely Mark Butcher. One good score in god-knows-how-long and the only reason he gets in the team is he's Alec Stewart's cousin and plays for Surrey.

Give David Fulton a chance!

schak82

Cricket Spectator
There is nobody in this game who is truly overrated.

Players have good days and bad days, but that doesn't make them set as superstars or as losers.
Yes, Ganguly hasn't hit a decent score in quite a while, but neither has Steve Waugh or many of the other captains.
As far as the captains go they are rated on the basis of their captaincy not their batting/bowling.

As far as Brett Lee stands, all I can say is that he is the fastest in the world (if you trust the speed gun!)
and you can really rate him on current performance. Once he gets older and more experienced he may get better
he may get worse. Give the guy a chance!

schak82

Cricket Spectator
There must be some reason they use him in the team. If he was such a piece of rubbish by now he'd be Steve Waugh:

GOING HOME

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Actually that wouldn't be true - he was married to Stewart's sister, but his recent run of selection has been since he separated from her.

I think his run of form in the last 12 months is more of a reason for him to be selected.

Sudeep

International Captain
Definitely VVS Laxman. He has been given too many chances, and all he has come up w/ so far is that 280 odd innings against Australia. Absolutely nothing apart from that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely VVS Laxman. He has been given too many chances, and all he has come up w/ so far is that 280 odd innings against Australia. Absolutely nothing apart from that.
1) That is an awesome innings. He'll never play better. In the context of the match (India were about to be annihilated) it was more than a mere match-winner.

2) How about his 167 in Australia at Sydney? That was a pretty amazing innings!

Other than that, you're right. He certainly hasn't done justice to his talent (which he has in abundance) but I reckon it'll only be a matter of time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Butcher has more class than Fulton can ever hope for.

He averages 38 to Fulton's 35, is a year younger and has 3 Test centuries.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He has a proven record of failing in tests. Fulton had the season of his life. I'm not saying that Fulton should become an automatic regular, just that he definitely deserves a chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd agree with you if he was 5 years younger, but look at recent history of selecting form players and it isn't good.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
I think they should give Fulton a try. Butcher thinks his place is guaranteed because he's got loads of expierience but if they gave Fulton a chance then it could be good for both of them. It will make them start competing for places.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No , if they drop Butcher (which IMO they shouldn't while they pick someone like Ramprakash) - then they need to look to someone for the future, such as Bell.

Fulton is 30 already, and has had only one good season after many many poor seasons http://www.cricket.org/link_to_data..._01004275/STATS/FULTON_DP-AVS_FC_SEASONS.html tells the whole story - he hasnt got the class to play Test Cricket, and we don't want to go back to the idea of picking players just because of their FC average.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The county game will be devalued while it is ignored by the selectors. If someone can score double century after double century and not get close to a chance then there's something wrong.

And as for Ramprakash, he doesn't have the temperament. He can get to 30 and then play a stupid shot. Every time. Remember his dancing down the pitch 10 minutes before close in one of the tests last summer...

Drop him, and please not another recall. It's only because he plays for Surrey.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
I agree Neil. If you play for Surrey the you've got ten times a better chance of getting in the England squad than if you played for someone like Northants (no offence).