• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Andre

International Regular
Simon Jones? Never really done much at county level, and gets picked by England to bowl fast. If they want someone just to bowl fast, recall someone like Chris Silverwood who is at least proven and has some control. Jones will be England's answer to Australian Matt Nicholson.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jones is quick (around 95 from what I've heard) and impressed at the Academy so has been given his chance - sometimes the best selections have come of players whos figures don't look like they're good enough.

Look at the current England openers for an example.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
I still think they should have brought in Steve Kirby, but I agree with bringing in Chris Silverwood (because his new haircut is funky!).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He might get another ODI chance soon as he can pinch-hit as well.

On the bowlers front, Dean of Derbyshire and Kabir Ali of Worcester are on fire at the minute. Kabir has got 3 five-fers in the last week.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You mean James Kirtley? I hope he'll get some games in the ODI series as he bowled well in Zimbabwe and his action's been cleared.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Silverwood's pinch-hitting wouldn't get him in the England ODI squad - for one thing we don't employ a pinch-hitter as such, and secondly he's not really been successful at it.

dwain_44

Cricket Spectator
Stephen Fleming for a captain he could not make runs if he life was on the line. To be the captain and to have made 33 fifty and 3 100's is crap he cant make big scores Astle should be skipper

[Edited on 6/14/02 by dwain_44]

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
thats right Ronaldo is the best player in Brazil , voted fifa player etc etc and is not Captain !

Mark Butcher isint captain , Chris Cairns isint either :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
thats right Ronaldo is the best player in Brazil , voted fifa player etc etc and is not Captain !

Mark Butcher isint captain , Chris Cairns isint either :P
MARK BUTCHER??? WHAT!!!

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Actually, looking at cricket captains around the place, say - Ponting & Waugh, Fleming, Pollock, Hussain, Ganguly, Waqar, Hooper etc etc. - there are none (disputable) who are the best players in the team.

More than a co-incidence??