• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Future of International Cricket

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Upon reading this article, I started wondering whether it will be possible that domestic competitions such as the IPL will overtake international cricket in terms of mainstream popularity. Currently, only the purist cares for domestic games more than international games but could we see a shift whereas the casual fan would take more interest in the domestic game rather than the international game in future.

The IPL and Champions League are already ready to shell out more than international players are paid for more work. The salaries exceed or match international ones and the prize money for the Champions League is ready to be double that of winning 2007 World Cup. Of course, India Vs Australia or Australia Vs England will always draw in the crowds, but a game such as New Zealand Vs England, as noted in the article, will be a crowdless snorefest.

For those who wish international cricket to remain strong, what is the solution? Should the ICC start shelling out more for tournaments and the international boards start shelling out more for their players? Or is there a more intricate solution?

I chose not to attach a poll simply because I wish this more to be a discussion rather than a simple Yes/No poll.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the market will decide this one. If people are sufficiently enamored with international cricket, they'll go to those matches and IPL will fall flat on its face. International cricket should live or die by the quality of its product as much as anything else and if a viable choice is created, people should have the ability to see it.

Flem274*

123/5
Upon reading this article, I started wondering whether it will be possible that domestic competitions such as the IPL will overtake international cricket in terms of mainstream popularity. Currently, only the purist cares for domestic games more than international games but could we see a shift whereas the casual fan would take more interest in the domestic game rather than the international game in future.

The IPL and Champions League are already ready to shell out more than international players are paid for more work. The salaries exceed or match international ones and the prize money for the Champions League is ready to be double that of winning 2007 World Cup. Of course, India Vs Australia or Australia Vs England will always draw in the crowds, but a game such as New Zealand Vs England, as noted in the article, will be a crowdless snorefest.
For those who wish international cricket to remain strong, what is the solution? Should the ICC start shelling out more for tournaments and the international boards start shelling out more for their players? Or is there a more intricate solution?

I chose not to attach a poll simply because I wish this more to be a discussion rather than a simple Yes/No poll.
I find it amusing that the England vs Australia game isn't a snorefest, what was the score again?:p

Flem274*

123/5
On the topic at hand, I wonder if the ICC and the member and associate nations will try and patent cricket or something or find some way of making the rebel league illegal not just by ICC regulations but by Indian and international law as well?

As for the players coming through well its looking fine to me. Plenty of young talent rising up through the ranks.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I know, I was nitpicking. Interesting you'd prefer to watch your team copping a 5-nil whitewash than a very likely series victory though.:p
It is an interesting point how little series against (e.g.) New Zealand mean to casual fans.

Flem274*

123/5
It is an interesting point how little series against (e.g.) New Zealand mean to casual fans.
TBH its because we're not a glamour team and because England cricket is no where near as popular as it was they're not going to turn out to watch a side that has only become competitive as recently as the 1970s and suffers from a history where we were like what Bangldesh is today wheras a team like Australia has been competitive for around a century and then there's the history of the encounters between the two sides

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
TBH its because we're not a glamour team and because England cricket is no where near as popular as it was they're not going to turn out to watch a side that has only become competitive as recently as the 1970s and suffers from a history where we were like what Bangldesh is today wheras a team like Australia has been competitive for around a century and then there's the history of the encounters between the two sides
I'd hazard a guess it has something to do with time zones too. Matches last from 11 p.m. to six in the morning.

(Yes, of course this is true with the Aussies too, but at least it's a few hours less for places like Perth; plus of course the old rivalry)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd hazard a guess it has something to do with time zones too. Matches last from 11 p.m. to six in the morning.

(Yes, of course this is true with the Aussies too, but at least it's a few hours less for places like Perth; plus of course the old rivalry)
Well the Test coverage before either the clocks here go forward or those in New Zealand go back will start at 9PM. Working back to midnight as they head for change.

The WACA Tests in this country are always laughable affairs, with radio leaving the commentary for Yesterday In Parliament just as the nation wakes.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Test cricket simply has to go if cricket is to become popular among other countries and generate more money. ATM, it's mostly just boring with flat pitches, there are hardly huge crowds, and financially it's not as good as if you instead had 5 T-20 matches being played. Most people will say test cricket is the real thing, but except for 1-2 countries, others don't benefit a lot from them. Even for a domestic T20, you have bigger crowds than a Test match, so imagine for an International T20, you're always going to get a packed house.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
You should see what Unnattainableguy's avatar lloks like when set as a desktop (in the tile format). A real bloody and choreographed massarce right in front of your eyes.

I've had to edit this cos I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was posting in...anyway I suppose repackaging Test cricket could help even if just a little bit

Last edited: