cricket betting betway blog banner small
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The Future of International Cricket

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,575

    The Future of International Cricket

    Upon reading this article, I started wondering whether it will be possible that domestic competitions such as the IPL will overtake international cricket in terms of mainstream popularity. Currently, only the purist cares for domestic games more than international games but could we see a shift whereas the casual fan would take more interest in the domestic game rather than the international game in future.

    The IPL and Champions League are already ready to shell out more than international players are paid for more work. The salaries exceed or match international ones and the prize money for the Champions League is ready to be double that of winning 2007 World Cup. Of course, India Vs Australia or Australia Vs England will always draw in the crowds, but a game such as New Zealand Vs England, as noted in the article, will be a crowdless snorefest.

    For those who wish international cricket to remain strong, what is the solution? Should the ICC start shelling out more for tournaments and the international boards start shelling out more for their players? Or is there a more intricate solution?

    I chose not to attach a poll simply because I wish this more to be a discussion rather than a simple Yes/No poll.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

  2. #2
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Marburg, Germany
    Posts
    26,323
    I think the market will decide this one. If people are sufficiently enamored with international cricket, they'll go to those matches and IPL will fall flat on its face. International cricket should live or die by the quality of its product as much as anything else and if a viable choice is created, people should have the ability to see it.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    From what it seems to me, the IPL won't work without international cricket.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  4. #4
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    37,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Upon reading this article, I started wondering whether it will be possible that domestic competitions such as the IPL will overtake international cricket in terms of mainstream popularity. Currently, only the purist cares for domestic games more than international games but could we see a shift whereas the casual fan would take more interest in the domestic game rather than the international game in future.

    The IPL and Champions League are already ready to shell out more than international players are paid for more work. The salaries exceed or match international ones and the prize money for the Champions League is ready to be double that of winning 2007 World Cup. Of course, India Vs Australia or Australia Vs England will always draw in the crowds, but a game such as New Zealand Vs England, as noted in the article, will be a crowdless snorefest.
    For those who wish international cricket to remain strong, what is the solution? Should the ICC start shelling out more for tournaments and the international boards start shelling out more for their players? Or is there a more intricate solution?

    I chose not to attach a poll simply because I wish this more to be a discussion rather than a simple Yes/No poll.
    I find it amusing that the England vs Australia game isn't a snorefest, what was the score again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh


  5. #5
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    37,518
    On the topic at hand, I wonder if the ICC and the member and associate nations will try and patent cricket or something or find some way of making the rebel league illegal not just by ICC regulations but by Indian and international law as well?

    As for the players coming through well its looking fine to me. Plenty of young talent rising up through the ranks.

  6. #6
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I find it amusing that the England vs Australia game isn't a snorefest, what was the score again?
    Still draws in the crowds.

  7. #7
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    37,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Still draws in the crowds.
    Yeah I know, I was nitpicking. Interesting you'd prefer to watch your team copping a 5-nil whitewash than a very likely series victory though.

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Yeah I know, I was nitpicking. Interesting you'd prefer to watch your team copping a 5-nil whitewash than a very likely series victory though.
    It is an interesting point how little series against (e.g.) New Zealand mean to casual fans.

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    37,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    It is an interesting point how little series against (e.g.) New Zealand mean to casual fans.
    TBH its because we're not a glamour team and because England cricket is no where near as popular as it was they're not going to turn out to watch a side that has only become competitive as recently as the 1970s and suffers from a history where we were like what Bangldesh is today wheras a team like Australia has been competitive for around a century and then there's the history of the encounters between the two sides

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I find it amusing that the England vs Australia game isn't a snorefest, what was the score again?
    2-1
    Or something.

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

  11. #11
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Holland/North Zealand
    Posts
    25,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    TBH its because we're not a glamour team and because England cricket is no where near as popular as it was they're not going to turn out to watch a side that has only become competitive as recently as the 1970s and suffers from a history where we were like what Bangldesh is today wheras a team like Australia has been competitive for around a century and then there's the history of the encounters between the two sides
    I'd hazard a guess it has something to do with time zones too. Matches last from 11 p.m. to six in the morning.

    (Yes, of course this is true with the Aussies too, but at least it's a few hours less for places like Perth; plus of course the old rivalry)
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    2-1
    You're living in 1999 again.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    I'd hazard a guess it has something to do with time zones too. Matches last from 11 p.m. to six in the morning.

    (Yes, of course this is true with the Aussies too, but at least it's a few hours less for places like Perth; plus of course the old rivalry)
    Well the Test coverage before either the clocks here go forward or those in New Zealand go back will start at 9PM. Working back to midnight as they head for change.

    The WACA Tests in this country are always laughable affairs, with radio leaving the commentary for Yesterday In Parliament just as the nation wakes.

  14. #14
    State 12th Man Unattainableguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    751
    Test cricket simply has to go if cricket is to become popular among other countries and generate more money. ATM, it's mostly just boring with flat pitches, there are hardly huge crowds, and financially it's not as good as if you instead had 5 T-20 matches being played. Most people will say test cricket is the real thing, but except for 1-2 countries, others don't benefit a lot from them. Even for a domestic T20, you have bigger crowds than a Test match, so imagine for an International T20, you're always going to get a packed house.
    my fav players are misbah ul haq, shoaib akhtar, dale steyn, morne morkel, shane bond, jimmy anderson,

  15. #15
    International Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    5,490
    You should see what Unnattainableguy's avatar lloks like when set as a desktop (in the tile format). A real bloody and choreographed massarce right in front of your eyes.

    I've had to edit this cos I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was posting in...anyway I suppose repackaging Test cricket could help even if just a little bit
    Last edited by andruid; 02-02-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I have heard it said that Chuck Norris' googly would literally break legs.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 83
    Last Post: 25-04-2007, 01:32 PM
  2. The future of international cricket in Auckland
    By _Ed_ in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 27-11-2006, 12:17 AM
  3. Future of cricket?
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 05:17 AM
  4. International Twenty20 and the future
    By Swervy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 23-06-2005, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •