• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kaneria hits the rough !

Fusion

Global Moderator
Who is right Fraz? Kaneria or the author? Because the author isn't entirely buying into Kaneria's excuses. Personally I think there is some justification to what Kaneria is saying. He's been hard done by flat pitches, bad wicket-keeping, no support from the other end, and a lack of a defined role. However, in watching him, I never get the sense anymore that he's about to get a wicket. And forget getting a place in ODI's, even in his peak days he was crap in that format. I'm willing to give Kaneria another chance or two, but my patience with him is very very thin.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't believe Kaneria reckons India intentionally changed the pitches from 2005 to 2007 to prevent him from doing well. Talk about ego.

I like Kaneria (he's quite a character, and every now and then he falls over when appealing or celebrating which is hilarious) but he's kidding himself if he reckons he's been unjustly left out of the ODI team. His batting and fielding is far too pathetic for ODIs. Plus his bowling isn't up to the standard in that form anyway.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Always believed Kaneria could've been one the best ODI bowlers in the world if handled correctly. Agreed that his batting and fielding is dire for that format though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mind you, everything Kaneria has said regarding support he's had in pace bowlers is spot on. Asif, Gul and Akhtar are hardly ever fit, and the rest aren't even worth mentioning most of the time. This makes his role difficult.

Whereas in 2005 against India and England (though admittedly Akhtar didn't play vs. India) his role was clear... to be a strike bowler.

I hope he does well, because as I said, I like him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who is right Fraz? Kaneria or the author? Because the author isn't entirely buying into Kaneria's excuses. Personally I think there is some justification to what Kaneria is saying. He's been hard done by flat pitches, bad wicket-keeping, no support from the other end, and a lack of a defined role. However, in watching him, I never get the sense anymore that he's about to get a wicket. And forget getting a place in ODI's, even in his peak days he was crap in that format. I'm willing to give Kaneria another chance or two, but my patience with him is very very thin.
Kaneria's always so, so disappointed me. I saw him for the first time in 2000\01 and rated him on the spot - Mushtaq had been on the decline for a fair few years by then (Kaneria actually replaced him in the side when playing his first 2 Tests) and it seemed Pakistan might have a wristspinner who could finally fulfull his potential, unlike Qadir and Mushtaq.

But yet again it's been same-old-same-old.

Sure, the wicketkeeping (and indeed outfielding - inclusive of course of himself) for much of his career's been poor, be it Kamran Akmal or someone else. But I don't think his average would be particularly good even if he'd had every chance taken.

Sure, he's had to bowl on a fair few flat pitches (as of course has everyone of late). But he has had some turners too and it's not like he's ripped The World apart even on those. In any case, wristspin is supposed to be special because the bowlers don't need turning pitches to get turn.

As for the rest of the attack being poor and ever-changing - don't buy that at all. A good bowler will remain a good bowler, and if he bowls well he'll still get the hauls. It might mean he doesn't get as many victories, but not that many people are fool enough to judge cricketers on the results of their teams.

Kaneria has long since worn my patience thin, but sadly unless there are four or five better and more reliable bowlers than him (and I'd say there's currently two beyond all doubt, in Mohammad Asif and Umar Gul) he really has to stay in the team. At least he's a more reliable presence than Shoaib Akhtar, and at least he's better than the likes of Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Rao Iftikhar Anjum, Mohammad Sami and the posse. And at least he doesn't seem to have a sad penchant for allowing his action to slip back to illegalities like Shabbir Ahmed.

haroon510

International 12th Man
after his performance in the past couple of years.. he should be glad that he got his place back in the contract.. cuz i really think he is the past and abdur Rahman is the future..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure about Rehman TBH - though obviously Pakistan missed the usual absurd number of chances in the recent South Africa series, and I don't know how much of an effect that had on his figures. If it didn't have much, then he should have done better.

In any case, Rehman's nearly 28 as of this post. Kaneria's only just turned 27. Hardly like one is any younger than t'other.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Two years ago it didn't bother him much. "If I bowl 50 overs in an innings, then will I not give away 100 runs for my wickets? As a leggie I attack, so runs will be scored. But I take wickets, which is how you win matches," he said before England arrived in 2005. But, as he points out now, support was solid back then: Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Sami, Shabbir Ahmed and Abdul Razzaq.
:laughing:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Kaneria's always so, so disappointed me. I saw him for the first time in 2000\01 and rated him on the spot - Mushtaq had been on the decline for a fair few years by then (Kaneria actually replaced him in the side when playing his first 2 Tests) and it seemed Pakistan might have a wristspinner who could finally fulfull his potential, unlike Qadir and Mushtaq.

But yet again it's been same-old-same-old.

Sure, the wicketkeeping (and indeed outfielding - inclusive of course of himself) for much of his career's been poor, be it Kamran Akmal or someone else. But I don't think his average would be particularly good even if he'd had every chance taken.

Sure, he's had to bowl on a fair few flat pitches (as of course has everyone of late). But he has had some turners too and it's not like he's ripped The World apart even on those. In any case, wristspin is supposed to be special because the bowlers don't need turning pitches to get turn.

As for the rest of the attack being poor and ever-changing - don't buy that at all. A good bowler will remain a good bowler, and if he bowls well he'll still get the hauls. It might mean he doesn't get as many victories, but not that many people are fool enough to judge cricketers on the results of their teams.Kaneria has long since worn my patience thin, but sadly unless there are four or five better and more reliable bowlers than him (and I'd say there's currently two beyond all doubt, in Mohammad Asif and Umar Gul) he really has to stay in the team. At least he's a more reliable presence than Shoaib Akhtar, and at least he's better than the likes of Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Rao Iftikhar Anjum, Mohammad Sami and the posse. And at least he doesn't seem to have a sad penchant for allowing his action to slip back to illegalities like Shabbir Ahmed.

Word that spot on. If he was a real class he would have stepped up & performer like great lone soldiers i.e Murali, Hadlee & Warne during the 2005 Ashes.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is Kaneria was never that great and he was always just decent. Decent spinner need support from seamers to take wickets, they are never going to take big hauls by themselves. Also unless a leg spinner spins the bowl a mile or has the ability to get a lot of bounce, they need as much support from the pitch as an offie.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
What is funny is that he is complaining about the rest of the attack whereas they should be complaining about him not being able to support them>
What does he expect?The pace bowlers to clean up the top batsmen ,so he could come and ball at the tail?
The way he bowled against India even the tailenders would not mind facing him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The thing is Kaneria was never that great and he was always just decent. Decent spinner need support from seamers to take wickets, they are never going to take big hauls by themselves. Also unless a leg spinner spins the bowl a mile or has the ability to get a lot of bounce, they need as much support from the pitch as an offie.
Yeah this is what's always disappointed me most about Kaneria, the fact that for a wristspinner he just doesn't spin the ball as much as he should. Someone like Kumble doesn't spin the ball overtly but I honestly believe Kumble puts more spin on his topspinner than Kaneria does on his Leg-Break. That, added to Kumble's novelty factor, means Kumble's done far better on turning pitches (and better catchers has undoubtedly helped him too).

Kaneria has never been that good. He's always been just decent. I always thought he could do more, but he just hasn't. And at 27 it's time to start asking if he ever will.