• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Upset

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised no ones mentioned Pakistan vs India, last test in 2006. To come back from 39-6 and go on to win the match by 300 odd runs must rank as one of the best performances of this decade.

Also in 1999 in another Pak-India series, Pakistan came back from 29-6 IIRC to win the Kolkata test.
Yeah, that's a great one too. There was a test in 99 when Australia were in NZ, and the Aussies were 5/30 odd and won, but I think they were maybe batting 2nd and NZ didn't have a huge total either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
50? okay Stats Boy lets have them:-O
Look around bowlers who've taken 10-fors. Many of those will have been equally good.

That performance from Lillee was one of the best bowling performances ever. But no-one, not one single person, has ever claimed he was completely incapable of producing such things.

Swervy

International Captain
Look around bowlers who've taken 10-fors. Many of those will have been equally good.

That performance from Lillee was one of the best bowling performances ever. But no-one, not one single person, has ever claimed he was completely incapable of producing such things.
by why should he look around for them, when it was you who said that you could find 50 performances that match it

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sean challenged the ascertation, I said "here is where you can find such performances". It's not terribly difficult to pick them out.

Days of Grace

International Captain
New Zealand's first test wins over Australia and England, in 1974 and 1978 respectfully (correct me if I'm wrong). Since then, maybe the 1994 win in South Africa (a BIG abbrebiation, when you consider what went on afterwards).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
New Zealand's first test wins over Australia and England, in 1974 and 1978 respectfully (correct me if I'm wrong).
You're wrong. :p You meant respectively.

Either way, yes, New Zealand's first victory over Australia was in 1974, in the second series between the two countries. Intreguingly, between 1973\74 and 1992\93, New Zealand's record against Australia read: P28, W7, L10, D11. Not terribly bad, really.

New Zealand's first 10 Test series against England were, while not Bangladesh-style bad, certainly not Test-worthy. Yet things got worse before they got better, and it wasn't indeed until 1978 that they won a Test, though they should have won one in 1973.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Though this game was in many ways even more sensational than this one because it was live, surely the West Indies WC1996 one must rank ahead for sensationally unexpected? Even if there was nothing at stake, the eyes of The World were on the World Cup the way they weren't on the (last, as things currently stand) Standard Bank Tri-series.

BTW, on the subject of your sig, this link: http://sportinkenya.*************/ is kinda pointless because it's filtered. :confused: Might as well do without TBH.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW, on the subject of your sig, this link: http://sportinkenya.*************/ is kinda pointless because it's filtered. :confused: Might as well do without TBH.
I will look into it right away, back on to sensationbal upsets even more sensational an upset than either of those two was this match on the basis that the Lankans had just come from bashing another associate (I think its canada they bowled out for 38) which made the result even more surprising and out of the blue.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, Blogspot, yeah that's been filtered for ages. Funny, a few people (myself included) requested that it be un-filtered a while ago and thought it'd been done.

Evidently not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I will look into it right away, back on to sensationbal upsets even more sensational an upset than either of those two was this match on the basis that the Lankans had just come from bashing another associate (I think its canada they bowled out for 38) which made the result even more surprising and out of the blue.
And they so nearly did it again to India later in the tournament. And then later again, while they were never going to beat Australia, they turned a large defeat into an honourable one thanks to one of the most incredible World Cup performances ever by Karim.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To an extent, yes. There is a difference, though - Sean with Lillee is all about misrepresenting what others say; me with Bangladesh, MacGill, Harmison, Hayden, etc. while I do drag things off course of times, I don't tend to say "no doubt the pro-Bangladesh lot will be in here telling us how wonderful they are again now 8-)" or similar.

pasag

RTDAS
Don't blame Archie for getting upset when you guys say he isn't a very good bowler just because of a few Tests in Pakistan.