• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Upset

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There have been great tests played which have been close results, but they often aren't really upsets.

As an example, the West Indies in 1993 beat Australia in Adelaide by 1 run, but it wasn't an upset - the Windies were still regarded then as world champions and they were well and truly in a position to win (it was really an extrardinary performance by the last wicket or two that got Australia so close).

So, what are the great upsets in test cricket? Matches where either:

1. a team were such rank outsiders that their winning against opponents thought much better than them was considered out of the blue; or

2. a team was so down and out in an individual match that their comeback to win was amazing.
The thing that always comes to my mind first in these matters is England in West Indies in 1990, the First Test (and it would've been the same in the Second too but for rain, which makes it even more remarkable). West Indies hadn't been beaten in a Test series for 14 years (though they'd looked more vulnerable in the preceding 3-and-a-half than the previous 10) and England hadn't won so much as a single Test for 17.

Now factor in the fact that England's last 42 Tests had produced 3 victories (2 in Australia and 1 at home to Sri Lanka, the only three teams with any case whatsoever to be called weaker), the last 2 home summers had been probably the most depressing in memory (flattened 4-0 by West Indies, 4-0 by Australia, and but for rain it could easily have been 6-0 too). What's more, for the second time a breakaway had shamed the English game as players took the rand ahead of morality and decency. Unlike in 1982, it did not overtly weaken the side, as that would've been difficult anyway. But England travelled with a side no-one with an ounce of cricketing sense would have given a prayer to.

In those first two Tests, the big three in the batting (just about the only players of any prior note left in the side) all fired, Lamb and Smith in the First Test, Gooch in the Second. And two young bowlers, Angus Fraser in the First, Devon Malcolm in the Second, decimated the hosts' order and England totally outplayed the biggest boys in the park.

Sadly, rain at Trinidad denied England from taking an unbeatable 2-0 lead (the scheduled Second Test had been washed-out, reducing a five-Test series to four) and West Indies stormed back and won the last 2. At worst, though, that series would have been 2-2 if any justice whatsoever had been done.

The good work was not entirely wasted, though, as England's performances for the next 2 years under Gooch's captaincy (the injury-decimated Ashes tour the following winter aside) were uplifting. They beat New Zealand and India the following summer, managed to get the 2-2 draw they should have had in 1990 in 1991, won in New Zealand, and were within a miracle 9th-wicket partnership of beating another powerful Pakistan side in 1992. Things unravelled again for the next year, but that victory in 1990 took England from disgrace to honourable once again.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
England vs Australia, The Oval 1882 (England bowled out for 77 chasing 85)

England vs Australia, Old Trafford 1902 (England sliping from 92-3 at tea on last day to 120 all out to lose by 3 runs)

England vs Australia, Old Trafford 1961 (England 150-1 half an hour before tea on the last day chasing 256 before collapsing to 201 all out with Richie Benaud finishing with figures of 6-70 including a spell of 5-12 in 25 balls)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Inzy made an ass-saving hundred IIRC.
Yeah, think we're thinking of the same Test. Remember willing Bangladesh on for the last half an hour or so, thinking that if they nabbed that last wicket with two runs in it or something then it'd go down as one of the great Tests. As it is, it just goes down as a poor performance by Pakistan. Shame.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surprised no ones mentioned Pakistan vs India, last test in 2006. To come back from 39-6 and go on to win the match by 300 odd runs must rank as one of the best performances of this decade.

Also in 1999 in another Pak-India series, Pakistan came back from 29-6 IIRC to win the Kolkata test.
Yeah look the first time was fine, great performance. But for it to happen again 7 years later :@

The Calcutta match in 99 actually wasn't part of a Pakistan vs. India series (though Pakistani fans like to claim it is to make it look like Pakistan won the series 2-1 :p). Its actually part of the Asian Test Championship tournament they held in 1999. Its just that they played it right after the India vs. Pakistan test series in India which ended 1-1.

I guess it was a moral series victory for Pakistan.

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah look the first time was fine, great performance. But for it to happen again 7 years later :@

The Calcutta match in 99 actually wasn't part of a Pakistan vs. India series (though Pakistani fans like to claim it is to make it look like Pakistan won the series 2-1 :p). Its actually part of the Asian Test Championship tournament they held in 1999. Its just that they played it right after the India vs. Pakistan test series in India which ended 1-1.

Yes I remember but really everyone at the time built it up as a series decider and for all intents and purposes it was played like one. Besides theres nothing worse then a 2 test series.

Edit: It was actually 26-6.:cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah piss off, it was a one-off test :p

It would have only been a series decider if Sachin wasn't unjustly run out, and then he lead India to victory.

I kid of course ;) But anyway, that test in itself is famous for the disgraceful fan behaviour, and the match ending with the stadium literally empty. Plus its probably the largest attended test match ever.

Xuhaib

International Coach

It would have only been a series decider if Sachin wasn't unjustly run out, and then he lead India to victory.

I kid of course ;) But anyway, that test in itself is famous for the disgraceful fan behaviour, and the match ending with the stadium literally empty. Plus its probably the largest attended test match ever.
Its frightening how similar were the two games. Not only did Pak came back from a similar near hopeless situation in both the games but one game led to the emergence of Shoaib while in the other game Asif came in to the spotlight.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its frightening how similar were the two games. Not only did Pak came back from a similar near hopeless situation in both the games but one game led to the emergence of Shoaib while in the other game Asif came in to the spotlight.
Shoaib bowling Dravid and Tendulkar in consecutive deliveries... became my favourite bowler to watch from then on...

Asif cleaning up Tendulkar, Laxman and co... became my favourite bowler to watch from then on...

You're so right. Wish they'd ****ing get on the park though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Yes I remember but really everyone at the time built it up as a series decider and for all intents and purposes it was played like one. Besides theres nothing worse then a 2 test series.

Edit: It was actually 26-6.:cool:

Wasn't that Test originally planned as the Third of said Ind-Pak series, then substituted into the ACC Test Championship at the last minute as the silly concept was invoked?

Has always annoyed me that there are basically two versions of that "series". Makes it even more significant that it'd have been the first time India had been beaten in India since 1985\86 when they lost to... yes, Pakistan.

Swervy

International Captain
Despite me being only 9 at the time I remember that first day so well, esp that last wicket partnership between Hughes and Alderman.

But then, that burst of fast bowling by Lillee late in the day was astonishing.

Then of course Lillee getting the world record test wickets the next day topped it off as well.

Pretty much everything about that test was memorable

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah it was originally planned to be part of the series. So obviously in reality, Pakistan won 2-1. But its not official.

I think it adds to the drama of the test anyway. Firstly, the fact that the test is more than likely the one match which has had the most fans ever to a 5 day test match ever. Then the obvious reason the match is famous, the fact that Pakistan should have lost considering where they were at in their first innings. Moin Khan's fighting knock was crucial

Then you have the Sachin runout controversy in the 4th innings, and the crowd problems which then screwed Dravid's concentration, and that's all she wrote. That then resulted in more crowd problems, and then the match finishes in what was pretty much an empty stadium.

Just adds to the history of India vs. Pakistan test matches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono, there's a line in there (you'll know which it is if the answer is affermative) which makes me ask: are you a Boz Scaggs fan?

Glacier

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah it was originally planned to be part of the series. So obviously in reality, Pakistan won 2-1. But its not official.

I think it adds to the drama of the test anyway. Firstly, the fact that the test is more than likely the one match which has had the most fans ever to a 5 day test match ever. Then the obvious reason the match is famous, the fact that Pakistan should have lost considering where they were at in their first innings. Moin Khan's fighting knock was crucial

Then you have the Sachin runout controversy in the 4th innings, and the crowd problems which then screwed Dravid's concentration, and that's all she wrote. That then resulted in more crowd problems, and then the match finishes in what was pretty much an empty stadium.

Just adds to the history of India vs. Pakistan test matches.
Was that the one where Shoaib sort of blocked him and then the crowds just went crazy? I seem to vaguely remember this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jono, there's a line in there (you'll know which it is if the answer is affermative) which makes me ask: are you a Boz Scaggs fan?
Haha nope, but I guess the term 'all she wrote' has been used in pop culture a bit, so I use it every now and then.
Was that the one where Shoaib sort of blocked him and then the crowds just went crazy? I seem to vaguely remember this.
Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1MrFOOaXcQ

It seemed dodgy (though clearly the Calcutta fan reactions were an absolute disgrace. I was very embarassed) but I'm unfamiliar with what the actual rules say.

I'm a huge Shoaib fan, but I was upset at the ruling at the time. I don't believe he did it deliberately, but jeez, you've got the best batsman in the world... against India's rivals in what is basically a series deciding 4th innings chase, and he's run out like that. Definition of controversy really.

Pakistan deserved to win though, solely for their first innings fight-back really.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
though clearly the Calcutta fan reactions were an absolute disgrace. I was very embarassed
I was not at the ground that the but from all accounts one or two Pakistani players at the boundary started gesturing/abusing the crowds which caused a lot of heat.

A lot of people criticise the Calcutta crowd a lot (I am not pointing to you, just a general sentiment) but people forget that just a year before this match, India had played South Africa in a test at Eden and we suffered one of the biggest home defeats ever. I was at the ground last day and the crowd was very sporting. It is a bad coincidence that we have had a few incidents at Eden but the Calcutta crowd generally is very good. Just wanted to point this out for any one who might feel discouraged about going to Eden.

archie mac

International Coach
FFS Sean, as Dasa once said to you it gets utterly tiresome how you keep going-on like this. No-one has ever said Lillee's performance in that match was not a sensational one. But I'll assure you, I could find 50 performances from other seam-bowlers, many of whom weren't even on the same plane as Lillee, as good.
50? okay Stats Boy lets have them:-O