• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Academy Awards

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
It's that time again - Academy Award time. I thought we could get into the spirit with the CW Cricket Academy Awards.

Druing the summer in Australia every recognisable face in Aussie cricket make TV ads. They range from the brick throwingly annoying (Valvoline - you know what I mean with Ricky Ponting) to some really awful ads. sponsored by Ford with 4 quite drowned Aussie cricketers (Pup Clarke, Andy Symonds, Mat Hayden and Mr Cricket). There are also a couple with Hayden and Clarke doing very bad Richie Benaud impersonations.

My worst cricket actor goes to Stephen Fleming for a series of Rexona ads.he did with Ricky Ponting a couple of seasons ago - my table is less wooden than that performance.

Best cricket actor IMO is Adam Gilchrist - he is a natural. Can't remember what he has flogged lately but the ads. are usually OK.

Who do you think are the best and worst cricket actors?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He could just be himself. Edit: Would get him a part in One Flew Over the ****oo's Nest.

Reckon Ravi Shastri would be good - anyone see him on Fox last night? The black James Bond, I tells ya.

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
People think these helmets are to protect us from the ball, theyre not. Theyre actually to stop us from eating fillers in the middle of the pitch.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Oh Haydos is def. the best – he’s putting so much effort into his performance – your fake tan will rub of will it pup? :D Worst is def Wolf Blass and Hodge

Protean

State Regular

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
My worst cricket actor goes to Stephen Fleming for a series of Rexona ads.he did with Ricky Ponting a couple of seasons ago - my table is less wooden than that performance.
He's really upped his game in the Fujitsu heat pump ads nowadays.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My fav ads were the ones during the WC for Lays (chips), featuring AB de Villiers, Mark Boucher, Makhaya Ntini and Herschelle Gibbs, as well as Francois Pienaar. Silly, but :laugh: Here are a couple, although there are like eight of them:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2sgHcIMtQ4o&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mq96nT9ifLw

The worst is definitely the Jacques Kallis Sanex ad, although you can't really say he's doing much acting :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x0lysDNKEcw
LOL @ Boucher's "You can't chow me man!"

And that Kallis ad is downright ridiculous.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Oh Haydos is def. the best – he’s putting so much effort into his performance – your fake tan will rub of will it pup? :D Worst is def Wolf Blass and Hodge
The fake tan ad. is my favourite - cracks me up every time.

The Wolf Blass ad. is OK IMO - Stu MacGill steals the show, but the others are a bit wooden.

Has anyone seen his show Stuart MacGill Uncorked on Foxtel in Australia?

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
The Mr Walker adds were always funny, especially when Paul Hogan satarised (spelling)
them:)
Gee Archie we are showing our age. I loved that ad. Max Walker was a natural. These days he probably would have been flogging a lot more stuff.

Do you also remember the one Jeff Thomson did for some sort of hair cream or shampoo. One of the lines was "and I certainly don't want to look like grease ball Thomson". We used to add the line at the end of that ad. "and I certainly would prefer not to look like Jeff Thomson"

kanga_kid

Cricket Spectator
rememeber when the WI came out to oz and did those KFC ads...... lol that was great, we need more international players doing commercials on telle.
though if im to choose i like that ford ranger add where pup, hussey, haydos, and roy are picking backyard cricket teams, and when roy and pup choose a young bloke, hoydos turns around and says to him...." hope you brought your helmet champ" as the kid turns around and tells him '' i wont need it"" lol i think thats great coz even a ten year old kid wont need a helmet batting against haydos and hussey lol..

archie mac

International Coach
Gee Archie we are showing our age. I loved that ad. Max Walker was a natural. These days he probably would have been flogging a lot more stuff.

Do you also remember the one Jeff Thomson did for some sort of hair cream or shampoo. One of the lines was "and I certainly don't want to look like grease ball Thomson". We used to add the line at the end of that ad. "and I certainly would prefer not to look like Jeff Thomson"
Ha ha, yes Thommo not quite as good as Mr Walker