cricket betting betway blog banner small

Thread: Hints and Allegations: On reduction of Team numbers in the 2011 World cup

Hints and Allegations: On reduction of Team numbers in the 2011 World cup

This article on a leading website covering the top associate cricket nationsin Europe and most of the rest of the world seems to indicate at a short sighted betrayal of the ICC's own program to strengthen cricket outside its own traditional homelands for the sake of protecting the interests of full members. Discuss
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I have heard it said that Chuck Norris' googly would literally break legs.

They certainly need to make some changes to the format of the WC from what we saw in the West Indies.

I've previously advocated that a separate tournament be held in the lead up to the WC amongst the associate teams with the prize being the chance for the best two teams from that tournanent going into the WC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I don't see the point of ODIs other than to bring the other countries to a higher level. IMO, it should include as many countries as is reasonable. I didn't like the format, but the # of countries is fine in WC.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    AWTA.

Real incentive to put the associates in there, only to remove some of them once they are successful.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Awta

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    AWTA.

Real incentive to put the associates in there, only to remove some of them once they are successful.
    Well, that argument is a bit of a furphy IMO. Sure, Ireland put out Pakistan, but it was Bangladesh, a Test nation, that put out India. The real problem is the number of meaningless, unattractive mis-matches having half a dozen minnows in the showcase tournament of the sport creates.

School Boy/Girl Captain skipper's Avatar
    If India and Pakistan were giants, then they should not lose to minnows. Since they lost to minnows, it means they are not giants. As simple as that. Deserved to be out.

- Indian fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Janus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Well, that argument is a bit of a furphy IMO. Sure, Ireland put out Pakistan, but it was Bangladesh, a Test nation, that put out India. The real problem is the number of meaningless, unattractive mis-matches having half a dozen minnows in the showcase tournament of the sport creates.
    Surely better than several dozen meaningless super eight matches? It wasn't the opening group phase that made the WC boring, it was the super eight stage. Like others World cups it should progress to a knock-out phase to cut down on the number of meaningless dead-rubber fixtures. You could to reduce the chance of an upset double the number of group stage matches and have every time play each other twice. That with the knock-out would produce 54 matches, but would still miss the trill of the group stages that we see in football and rugby.

I don't care about upsets - if a test team isn't good enough to beat an associate, then stiff, they don't deserve to progress. It's the overall length of the tournament, and the number of mismatches that are a problem. Mismatches vs upsets might sound like splitting hairs, but what I'm saying is that any changes brought in should aim at reducing the number of mismatches, rather than attempting to ensure that an upset in a (on the face of it) mismatch doesn't knock out a major team.

Comparisons or efforts to replicate the structure of the soccer, or even the rugby, world cup are not going to work as there simply aren't enough countries of a competitive standard - plus cricket is a game where its harder than say soccer for a weaker team to produce a close contest against a stronger opponent.

The biggest problem is not allowing games to be played on the same day.

Yeah, it killed the carnival feel a bit, unlike say the soccer world cup, where you finish watching one match, catch a score update from another match in progress, and then settle back down to watch yet another match that evening.

Im all for 3 groups of 6 with the top 2 +2 3rd placers going in to quarters.. no more ridiculous super 8s

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I thought the pool games were fair enough in the last world cup, but the super 8 did seem to drag on a bit. Whether you turn the super 8 into a quarterfinal stage with lucky losers, it could make the tournament a little more interesting. Sort of like the Rugby League/AFL grand final structure. Not sure it would work, but could be interesting.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Thread Information