Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Law/ Ricky Pointing

Stuart Law/ Ricky Pointing

Imagine what could have happened if Mark Taylor had decided that Stuart Law had batted at 5 and Ricky Ponting batted 6 against Sri Lanka in Perth December 1995.
    http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1...11DEC1995.html

And Law had scored 96 and Ponting only made 54 not out, could it have changed cricket history, or would Stuart Law just have played a few test and Ponting forced his way back into the test team like he did when he did get droped in the late 90's

It might have made no diference but one batting line up decision could have changed to players cricket careers

The latter. Although Law might have played more tests I suppose, at the expense of Martyn, Katich or Lehmann or whoever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Law may very well have forged a succesful test career, you can never be sure with these sorts of things but he certainly appeared a quality player and it wouldnt have suprised many people to see him do very well at test level.

Ponting would have forced his way into the side within a year or two either way, he was what 21 at the time and just to good a player (particularly for his age) to be kept out for long.

I reckon it would have changed history slightly. Man I hated Umpire Khizer Hayat that day, was such a dodgy LBW decision.

BTW it's Ponting, so many people, even a Cricket article I was reading in the paper today spell it Pointing, it's almost as bad as JaCques..
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

I think the Pointing thing can be put down to a typo. I is right next to O, after all.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    BTW it's Ponting, so many people, even a Cricket article I was reading in the paper today spell it Pointing, it's almost as bad as JaCques..
    Have to delete a "c" pretty much every time I write Jaques TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Wouldn't have changed much. Ponting was a kid with enormous, enormous wraps and potential. He was always going to get another go even if he came in and scored a duck.

Yeah, changed nothing basically. Ponting's the kind of guy who writes his own history. Still remember that lb, gotta be one of the worst decisions to cop on debut.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

As a Lancashire fan who has seen probably even more of Stuart Law than Ricky Ponting, I've always found it amazing that this unbelievable player failed to make the team. Every time I've been to Old Traffor he has made the best Championship attacks look very average when the likes of Loye, Chilton, Suttcliffe fail. He most certainly is NOT a better batsmen than Ponting but much better than Katich, Symonds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by garypleavin View Post
    As a Lancashire fan who has seen probably even more of Stuart Law than Ricky Ponting, I've always found it amazing that this unbelievable player failed to make the team. Every time I've been to Old Traffor he has made the best Championship attacks look very average when the likes of Loye, Chilton, Suttcliffe fail. He most certainly is NOT a better batsmen than Ponting but much better than Katich, Symonds etc.
    He was simply one of those batsmen who was incredibly unlucky to be present in the era he was in. I definitely think he had what it took to become a good Test batsman.

What i'm trying to say is that he should have developed a fantastic international career even in this era. I believe he is a much better batsmen than Katich and could have given Damien Martyn and Mark waugh a run for their money as well.

I don't know of a player who has a better cut shoot than Stuart Law in world cricket. Australia ignoring him though has led to him playing a lot more for Lancashire, so i'm not complaining.

He was also something else, which made it easier to leave him out

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by jemo27 View Post
    Imagine what could have happened if Mark Taylor had decided that Stuart Law had batted at 5 and Ricky Ponting batted 6 against Sri Lanka in Perth December 1995.
    http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1...11DEC1995.html

And Law had scored 96 and Ponting only made 54 not out, could it have changed cricket history, or would Stuart Law just have played a few test and Ponting forced his way back into the test team like he did when he did get droped in the late 90's

It might have made no diference but one batting line up decision could have changed to players cricket careers
    Class tells - cream rises to the top etc etc. Ricky Ponting is absolutely world-class, and a place would have been found for him no matter what. Saying that, Law was gifted too.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    He was also something else, which made it easier to leave him out
    I've heard that, even when compared to other Australian cricketers, he was considered to have something of a challenging personality. Has always seemed a nice guy in interviews I've seen tho, so maybe it was a bit of a bum rap.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Symonds yes, beyond doubt (though he'd already played his last game for Qld before Symonds played his first Test). Katich, I honestly don't think so TBH, I think Katich is at least as good as Law.

Katich simply got his Test chance (not THAT much of a chance compared to what some get) and didn't take it terribly well. Law didn't - Law could every bit as easily have failed at Test level as Katich did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information