cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ponting - Rebuilding ahead for India

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Ponting - Rebuilding ahead for India

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausv...ry/333891.html

Agree fully with Ponting here....biggest challenge ahead for India is keep competitive even though they're gonna lose their fab five (Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dravid, KUmble) over the 2 years or so.

Personally think India need to start phasing out these seniors slowly starting this year itself.
    I reckon the five have probably all taken India as far as they're going to ....if India want to be a team that consistenly wins and genuinely challenges for the world no.1, its gonna be generation next that achieves that...NOT these guys.
    Their contribution to Indian cricket has been enormous but the future of Indian cricket does not rest with them.

Ganguly for mine is probably the first who should go. He only averaged 29 here in Australia, is probably the wakest of the batsmen in the five and I find it hard to believe India wouldn't be able to find a better player than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausv...ry/333891.html

Agree fully with Ponting here....biggest challenge ahead for India is keep competitive even though they're gonna lose their fab five (Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dravid, KUmble) over the 2 years or so.

Personally think India need to start phasing out these seniors slowly starting this year itself.
    I reckon the five have probably all taken India as far as they're going to ....if India want to be a team that consistenly wins and genuinely challenges for the world no.1, its gonna be generation next that achieves that...NOT these guys.
    Their contribution to Indian cricket has been enormous but the future of Indian cricket does not rest with them.

Ganguly for mine is probably the first who should go. He only averaged 29 here in Australia, is probably the wakest of the batsmen in the five and I find it hard to believe India wouldn't be able to find a better player than him.

Always felt that Ganguly was overrated as a test player - the fact he only averaged 29 doesn't surprise me agreat deal - considering the only runs he has made at test level have been against weak to moderate bowling attacks.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Australia seems good at bringing guys through the one day side, I dont know maybe to keep them interested. Alot of young guys in the Indian CBS side for the one dayers coming up. Doesnt always work (Yuvraj Singh - so far but we'll see) but they would have reason to have some optimism I'd say.

Right about Ganguly I'd say

I have alot of respect for Ganguly as a captin and he was a brilliant one day player but he's reasonable at best at test level, no more.
    Last edited by Salamuddin; 28-01-2008 at 04:52 AM.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing India's generation next in the tri-series particulalry Suresh Raina, who has huge wraps from Greg Chappell

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Start with Tendulkar IMO, not Ganguly please.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

I think this is a good time to mention that Ponting has handled the exodus of some of the finest players cricket has seen very well. A 2-0 win against Sri Lanka and a 2-1 win against India is an excellent achivement after losing such magnificent players. Well done Punter.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    When Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly and Kumble retire (could be at least another year for the lot of them) then worry about it. No sense fretting about what hasn't happened yet, you won't make things any better.

The challenge will arrive when it arrives, and it must be taken-up by those responsible. Not before.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    I think this is a good time to mention that Ponting has handled the exodus of some of the finest players cricket has seen very well. A 2-0 win against Sri Lanka and a 2-1 win against India is an excellent achivement after losing such magnificent players. Well done Punter.
    I think its been the Australian domestic system that has handled it very well. Ponting has been good, but nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

It hardly takes a genius to realise that replacing three all-time greats, and two very good test class batsman is going to be tough for India.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babar Hayat
    Chinese guy comes in

It is completely true to say that india now need to move towards the next generation and i also agree that we need to lose players one by one and not all of them in a hurry...kinda lyk how the aussies did. Losing the Fab Five would almost destroy india in the test arena. The problem for india is that they definitely had players that they have groomed over many years, such as Yuvraj....but he was nt able to convert oned ay form into test form.
    I reckon, its more important to test certain players out in the ODI format first, see if they're any good and them allow the transition into the test arena.

As for rebuilding, india will have to do a lot of that...and it might take some time TBH

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    (Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dravid, KUmble)
    Bad misconception. Laxman is 33 years old and has more than two years left in him. Laxman at three can help usher a young Indian middle order into the new era.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    India must be prepared for when these players do call it a day. It is difficult to suggest when they will go, but preparations need to advance (maybe by experimenting with the younger players in the ODI's, however not all good Test players play ODI's) gradually.

india have left it far too late, they should have been blooding some young guys into the side when greg chappell was in charge. but instead he was criticised for trying. and later sacked. shows the very narrow minded eyes the BCCI have. Dravid is done and should have been given the flick prior to the australian test series, gangully has had his carrer and maybe its time to think about the team and not himself for once in his life. tendulkar has a couple of years left, he is still getting the job done in brilliant fashon, by far the best indian pllayer again this series. laxman has a few years also to elp out the new guard. hope they come good, it is a difficult situation they are in , and im sure india have a few young keen batsmen up there sleave.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information