• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be Australia’s next vice-captain and who should be?

pasag

RTDAS
Pretty simple question, the first will probably have a uniform answer but the second not so much. Also wrt Clarke, is he ready to captain the side in, say, Pakistan if Ponting goes down?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Michael Clarke will be Australia's next Vice Captain.

MIke Hussey should be.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It wouldn't surprise me if Hussey is made the vice-captain given that he was preferred over Clarke in last years C-H series in NZ. That said, if Clarke is to be the next Captain, he should be made vice-captain now imo.

Craig

World Traveller
If Ponting were to miss a Test through injury, I'll probably go towards Mike Hussey.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Seeing as Clarke is likely the next long-term skipper it does make sense to groom him in a leadership role. However if Ponting were to go down I wouldnt be comfortable with him captaining Australia in a test match, would prefer Hussey or possibly even Hayden in that scenario.

eglezdzdiyd

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd say it'll be clarke. I don't really agree with it though. There's no one else that really stands out as needing to be picked in the role. Hussey could but i don't see any real great advantage to it. The problem with clarke is that he comes from the same mindset as ponting. I'd prefer someone with a bowlers point of view or something similar to throw things out there.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I have a few reservations about making Clarke captain-in-waiting. Firstly, the youth. Johnson and Tait aside, he's comfortably the youngest in the selection circle. This is not a 'maturity' issue or a 'respect' issue - he's done enough to earn both in spades - but is the fact that if he's made captain at 28 or 29, and turns out to be a poor tactician or leader of men, then selectors can't reverse the selection without losing all credibility - since the move's been made with long-term intent. Therefore, they're stuck with him for 7-10 years, come what may.

Another, more minor grievance - most captains worth their salt tend to observe proceedings from slip or mid-off - positions in which Clarke's skills are either absent or totally wasted. Can't see him picking up a bowler's line or swing (and making changes accordingly) from cover-point.

However, we can only speculate how it affects his batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wasn't Hussey derided as a poor captain about this time last year?

He seems a "safe" choice and might be. But if he's a poor captain he'd not be a good one.

Short answer is, there's no ideal answer.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It not uncommon to give a young player the vice captaincy and then once the a new full time captain is required then you go to older player. Pretty much happened with Jayawardene, but Atapattu did take over as vice captain a couple months prior to Jayasuriya indicating he would hand it over.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Tough one, as I think it might weigh on Clarke a bit too much. He seems like the type to let things like that stress him out - different to Ponting in that respect. He has only relatively recently established himself as a test regular. Still a bold move could be good. I'd be inclined to go Hussey though, doesn't mean he has to be the next captain. Gilchrist was vice to Waugh and then Ponting became captain I think?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was actually thinking about this further.

How about Clarke for ODI, Hussey for Test.

I have no problem with Clarke taking over as Captain for the shorter form of the game, but feel Hussey would be a better option in Tests.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Clarke's the captain in waiting there's an argument that it makes sense for him to get the vice-captaincy. Against him tho is possibly that he's maybe not ready for it yet and if he were the VC when Ponting cracked a finger he'd have to be given the captaincy.

Given Gilly was the VC and had no realistic chance of being Ponting's long-term successor, Hussey would maybe be the safer pair of hands as of now.