• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe's batting in ODIs.. under-rated?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whilst there's no doubt that Zimbabwe's bowling since the departure of Streak and the likes has been absolutely rank, I feel the batting - or, more specifically, the improvement in the individual batsmen - has been overlooked somewhat. The batting still misfires as a unit - partly due to inexperience, partly due to the fact that they're often chasing massive totals and partly due to the fact that they simply aren't very good - but most of the batsmen in the team have been steadily improving over the last year or two, and I think they deserve some recognition for it. Taibu, for example, has averaged almost 40 in ODIs since his recall, and Sibanda's transformation from one of the worst batsmen ever to someone bordering on ODI standard who would walk into some of the top 8 teams has been amazing.

While one could argue that the stats are skewed by a large number of games against Bangladesh and Kenya, this is not new. The career records of the batsmen in question contain many matches against said minnows before the two year period they are being compared to, so the improvement cannot be denied. The last 12 months, in fact, has been just as (if not more) productive for them and the majority of the games in that period have been against South Africa and the West Indies.

Code:
[B]PLAYER			CAREER	L2Y	LY[/B]

Vusi Sibanda		24.78	35.90	36.05
Hamilton Masakadza	22.19	25.58	29.16
Justice Chibhabha	25.12	25.96	25.54
Tatenda Taibu		26.93	39.25	39.25
Brendan Taylor		27.96	31.50	25.15
Sean Williams		27.52	29.57	29.88
Stuart Matsikenyeri	20.60	28.37	26.63
Elton Chigumbura	23.37	23.55	25.37

L2Y = Average over the  last 2 years
LY = Average over the last year
Sure, they aren't great averages, but the improvement is evident, and the way Sibanda and Taibu are developing is very encouraging. If you compared it to the records of the batsmen who played for Zimbabwe prior to 2003, when they were supposedly a much better or even "ODI standard" outfit, they'd come across quite favourably, actually. The bowling has a long way to go, but I think the ability of the individual batsmen, even if not the batting team as a unit, is somewhat understated, especially when I read comments suggest that "17 is better average than most Zimbabweans".

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Given they're playing as we speak and chasing 265 odd, I've probably just put a massive mocker on them, but we'll see how it goes. :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Still back Ireland to beat/tie with them again tbh, even with the improvements. Big think is not the indiviual improvements it is the improvements batting as team. This is somewhere where their batting is actually better then West Indies and Bangladesh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Might be slightly under-rated on a world scale, but I certainly do rate them.

One point I would like to make is that the selectors are showing some consistency.

They are pretty much picking the best 7 batsmen they have in each team and the guy with the least matches has played 22 already, which is a decent amount.

I really like the lineup today.

Williams at 3, Taibu 4, Taylor 5 is gun.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From a statistical standpoint, some of the current crop are right up there in their history. Williams has the 4th highest ODI batting average for a Zimbabwean, behind Neil Johnson and both Flowers. Taylor is in fact 6th. And they're all so young.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whilst there's no doubt that Zimbabwe's bowling since the departure of Streak and the likes has been absolutely rank, I feel the batting - or, more specifically, the improvement in the individual batsmen - has been overlooked somewhat.
Given I've barely taken any notice of Zimbabwe since the Hayden knock, you'd be right. :p Thanks for the update.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
From a statistical standpoint, some of the current crop are right up there in their history. Williams has the 4th highest ODI batting average for a Zimbabwean, behind Neil Johnson and both Flowers. Taylor is in fact 6th. And they're all so young.
That probably say more about how average the Zimbabwean batsmen have been throughout their history outside the Flower, Houghton and career best Johnson. Then the actually quality of the current batsmen coming through. For example just cus Dilshan has say the top 10 average in Test Cricket for a Sri Lanka doesn't mean he is quality batsmen. Just that the rest where below his standard.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That probably say more about how average the Zimbabwean batsmen have been throughout their history outside the Flower, Houghton and career best Johnson. Then the actually quality of the current batsmen coming through. For example just cus Dilshan has say the top 10 average in Test Cricket for a Sri Lanka doesn't mean he is quality batsmen. Just that the rest where below his standard.
Well, yeah. I'm not saying Williams is great by any means (certainly not yet), but people oft talk about how much Zimbabwe cricket has declined, and while it is true in a number of ways, I don't think it is actually so true regarding the current batting lineup. The fact that the current players compare well to those of yesteryear backs up that point.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well, yeah. I'm not saying Williams is great by any means (certainly not yet), but people oft talk about how much Zimbabwe cricket has declined, and while it is true in a number of ways, I don't think it is actually so true regarding the current batting lineup. The fact that the current players compare well to those of yesteryear backs up that point.
Yeah I reckon quite a few of these batsmen and bowlers would walk into previous sides. Really what they lack to perform at that same level is a couple really class players like Heath Streak or Andy Flower. Man for man their isn't a lot wrong with the current group of players, just lack a class act to lead to better performances.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I reckon quite a few of these batsmen and bowlers would walk into previous sides. Really what they lack to perform at that same level is a couple really class players like Heath Streak or Andy Flower. Man for man their isn't a lot wrong with the current group of players, just lack a class act to lead to better performances.
Well, since Taibu's return, he's outdone Andy Flower's career average. I don't think he'll ever match Flower's batting feats on a long-term scale (even if Flower was slightly over-rated in one day cricket) but he's actually a much, much better keeper, so his value to the team could end up being of similar value. Sibanda over the last couple of years has outperformed Grant Flower's career stats as an opener as well. They lack the experience and guidance to put it all together sometimes, but I certainly think the current crop of batsmen have the ability to equal if not outdo previous batting lineups, as long as they don't get courted by County or SA franchise cricket.

What they really do lack, though, is a real quality opening bowler. That's what really makes theim weaker than in the past - the lack of Heath Streak, who was a world class bowler and a decent batsman as well. The haven't really replaced him (or even their support bowlers) very well at all. Utseya and Price do a decent enough job as spinners, but Chigumbura is really a batsman who can bowl a bit, and Gary Brent is not only close to retirement but is clearly not the bowler he once was - and he was never a great bowler anyway. Mupariwa has a good record but anyone who has seen him bowl will know it flatters him and that's his a decent second change at best. They need players like Rainsford or possibly Mahwire to really step up and fill that void if they're going to become a decent team again, but it's all there already with the batting.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And that just makes you think... in spite of the country being a wreckage, still a cricket team of some amount of calibre has managed to emerge.

Just imagine what might have happened had the country's govornment not decided to wreck the place in the late-1990s. :(

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well, since Taibu's return, he's outdone Andy Flower's career average. I don't think he'll ever match Flower's batting feats on a long-term scale (even if Flower was slightly over-rated in one day cricket) but he's actually a much, much better keeper, so his value to the team could end up being of similar value. Sibanda over the last couple of years has outperformed Grant Flower's career stats as an opener as well. They lack the experience and guidance to put it all together sometimes, but I certainly think the current crop of batsmen have the ability to equal if not outdo previous batting lineups, as long as they don't get courted by County or SA franchise cricket.

What they really do lack, though, is a real quality opening bowler. That's what really makes theim weaker than in the past - the lack of Heath Streak, who was a world class bowler and a decent batsman as well. The haven't really replaced him (or even their support bowlers) very well at all. Utseya and Price do a decent enough job as spinners, but Chigumbura is really a batsman who can bowl a bit, and Gary Brent is not only close to retirement but is clearly not the bowler he once was - and he was never a great bowler anyway. Mupariwa has a good record but anyone who has seen him bowl will know it flatters him and that's his a decent second change at best. They need players like Rainsford or possibly Mahwire to really step up and fill that void if they're going to become a decent team again, but it's all there already with the batting.
Yeah the bowling attack is what they lack ATM going forward. But really I can't see Sibanda or Taibu keeping their records up long term. I see them both as low 30s batsmen. Looks like they are going to start playing more matches against the big boys. So it should be interesting to see how they perform in the next year or so.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id be interested to see averages when batting first.

Obviously when batting first the game is still in tha balance. A very bad team batting second can have scores that inflate averages when the knock is meaningless within the context of the game.

Players are under no pressure to win a game and can bat in a pretty relaxed manner. A 90 ball fifty may be good for the average but when there is no attempt to increase the run rate or go for the win then it is absolutely pointless.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the official rankings..
Chigumbura 48th, Taylor 50th, Sibanda 54th, S. Matsikenyeri 67th, H. Masakadza 68th, S.C. Williams 73rd, C.J. Chibhabha 77th,

Williams and Taibu should be on the rise.

deira

Banned
tatenda taibu is amazing, is his batting technique is clean and straight, he could definatly become a great test batsmen if he is given a chance

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Id be interested to see averages when batting first.

Obviously when batting first the game is still in tha balance. A very bad team batting second can have scores that inflate averages when the knock is meaningless within the context of the game.

Players are under no pressure to win a game and can bat in a pretty relaxed manner. A 90 ball fifty may be good for the average but when there is no attempt to increase the run rate or go for the win then it is absolutely pointless.
They've put in better and more realistic attempts to chase those larger scores of late, but I see your point. Unfortunately, Zimbabwe tend to bowl first if they win the toss most of the time, and their oppositions tend to bat first if they do - so Zimbabwe batting first is a phenomena typically reserved for when the pitch is lively a bit in it and they lose the toss. That would obviously skew the stats. It's interesting though so I'll compile them anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
BATTING FIRST

Averages in the last 2 years
Vusi Sibanda - 26.56
Hamilton Masakadza - 28.13
Sean Willaims - 33.66
Tatenda Taibu - 34.14
Brendan Taylor - 27.47
Justice Chibhabha - 27.00
Elton Chigumbura - 25.30

Sibanda drops off considerably, which could quite possibly be put down the phenomena listed above given he always opens (he's certainly not one to hang around at the crease doing nothing, especially of late), but there isn't much change aside from that. Williams actually improves his stats.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
BATTING FIRST

Averages in the last year
Vusi Sibanda - 19.00
Hamilton Masakadza - 35.42
Sean Williams - 45.20
Tatenda Taibu - 34.14
Brendan Taylor - 26.62
Justice Chibhabha - 25.14
Elton Chigumbura - 34.14

Probably the "best" stats yet, those (Sibanda aside). It's a small sample size though - only takes into account about 8 games.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sean Williams will be a very good batsman. Should give up bowling though.