• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket should have 6 days of play

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My point was, if tests were six days long, groundsmen would be under more pressure to make them last the full six days, so we'd see the flattest pitches in history. Hence we'd just end up with a batfest. IMO, anyway.
No so long ago pitches were made to last 6 days because of the rest day. There was of course no wear and tear from the playing side but old timers like Richie Benaud say that being exposed to the sun or sweating under the covers on the rest day often changed the condition of the pitch considerably.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I suggested this before and i was critcised and maybe rightly so.. but i think the game should be 4 days long.. and the 2nd inn. teams only have 6 wickets availible to them.. if its a batsmens game.. then you should win it with the batsmen... because of all these batsmen friendly pitches.. an article in cricinfo pointed out how much better tail enders compared to past tail enders 7ths - 11th.. to radical maybe.. but any way..

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Happy Birthday SJS

I think that Kanga kid bloke needs some help with his basic cricket history... 110 overs in a day were common occurrence in the 1940's .etc.

Bad light and rain are problems, but my post over in the Duckworth-Lewis thread, retractable roofing may be an option...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I suggested this before and i was critcised and maybe rightly so.. but i think the game should be 4 days long.. and the 2nd inn. teams only have 6 wickets availible to them.. if its a batsmens game.. then you should win it with the batsmen... because of all these batsmen friendly pitches.. an article in cricinfo pointed out how much better tail enders compared to past tail enders 7ths - 11th.. to radical maybe.. but any way..
:blink: No thanks.

Nemesis27

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just make pitches which have something for both batting and fielding. No need to extend the test match. Remember the World XI test match in Sydney a while back? Only went 4 days from memory, two days lost there.

There is nothing worse than watching a batting bonanza IMO, in a test match anyway. Ill take a bowling blitz any day of the week. At least the match actually finishes.

Consider the recent tests in Perth and Adelaide. The Perth pitch was brilliant, something for everyone. Best test match since the 2nd Ashes test in 2005 IMO. Adelaide was a borefest. I just switched on the TV occasionally to see what was happening, which was nothing most of the time. I browsed the net and played some games instead.