• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket should have 6 days of play

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
LOL a couple of years ago in Australia they wanted Test Cricket to be 4 days, now they want it 6 days, ffs too many people like to change something that is already a winner.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I seriously think they should have 6 days of play, i really hate when the game is drawn. Results are always so much more exciting and commercially I think it would be better too for the game.
It should have only 4 days and they should force captains to get 100 overs through in a day. The penalties for not being able to enforce that should be severe including ban for a test match for the captain for repeated offense.

kanga_kid

Cricket Spectator
It should have only 4 days and they should force captains to get 100 overs through in a day. The penalties for not being able to enforce that should be severe including ban for a test match for the captain for repeated offense.
:laugh: :laugh: 100 overs a day... and what are you gonna do have 8 bowlers a side, seriously mate have you ever played cricket??, 100 overs in a day in the feild you wouldnt get up in the morning. a great way do distroy great bowlers carrers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cricket is already too long and slow a game for today's world (and I'm a lover of test cricket, but its a fact), and you want to add another day?

kanga_kid

Cricket Spectator
oh sorry mr USA, you not only control the world you control the cricket chat room too. how ignorant of me, send my regards to your Emperor

pasag

RTDAS
oh sorry mr USA, you not only control the world you control the cricket chat room too. how ignorant of me, send my regards to your Emperor
No, he is a moderator though and if he tells you not to call said member an idiot then you better heed his warning or face not lasting very long here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: Even if he wasn't a Mod, FYI he's not actually an American at all.

I'm not even sure whether his current location is in jest or not.

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
You don't really need six days though, most tests are finish now on the fourth day, if you added a six there would also be wear and tear on the pitch.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: :laugh: 100 overs a day... and what are you gonna do have 8 bowlers a side, seriously mate have you ever played cricket??, 100 overs in a day in the feild you wouldnt get up in the morning. a great way do distroy great bowlers carrers.
In the 1960's, you were expected to bowl at least 105 overs in a day.

In the 2020's, I suppose 60 will be acceptable.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Or maybe we should just produce sporting pitches..

6 days of "whoever can score the quickest and make the best declarations wins" cricket would be horrible.
I agree that pitches that offer more for the bowlers are a much better solution to situations such as we've just seen at Adelaide (with appreciation that it's not an easy thing for the groundskeepers), but wouldn't that situation exist more if tests were shortened, rather than lengthened?

Anyhow, to address the main thread point, nah, not necessary. The odd draw doesn't hurt, it's one of the charms of cricket, and as Lillian said, there have been some draws that have been thrillfests on the last day, and adding an extra day to those occasions would decrease the entertainment level, not increase it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It can be done kid and I am not going to go over the records and give you instances of when it has been done with great ease.

You will have to do it yourself. :)

As for playing cricket, I have actually, not international cricket as you are expecting to play (or may have already played) but I have played some. I am 58 and I suspect I might still bat better than you. :)

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Actually, Melbourne district cricketers play 100 overs a day each Saturday.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree that pitches that offer more for the bowlers are a much better solution to situations such as we've just seen at Adelaide (with appreciation that it's not an easy thing for the groundskeepers), but wouldn't that situation exist more if tests were shortened, rather than lengthened?
My point was, if tests were six days long, groundsmen would be under more pressure to make them last the full six days, so we'd see the flattest pitches in history. Hence we'd just end up with a batfest. IMO, anyway.