• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One thing i dont understand?

deira

Banned
I still dont understand this. Whenever a cricket match is being played on a weekday (Monday to Friday) how come there are so many people watching the game in the stadium? I mean are these guys just rich, dont have to go to work?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I still dont understand this. Whenever a cricket match is being played on a weekday (Monday to Friday) how come there are so many people watching the game in the stadium? I mean are these guys just rich, dont have to go to work?
People book their holidays from work when there's a big match in town, some will just phone up work and pretend to be sick, some will be members who have either retired through age or wealth. Not forgetting the housewives who have nothing else to do.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Yeah in Australia most of the internationals are at the height of summer when most people are on holidays anyway...On the subcontinent I'm sure alot of fans prioritise their cricket over work...and everywhere else you hardly see stands swarming with people at the best of times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's also the fact that a growing number of people have their "weekend" in the middle of the week somewhere and work on Saturday and Sunday. The corporate doesn't just stop on Friday afternoon anymore.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah in Australia most of the internationals are at the height of summer when most people are on holidays anyway...On the subcontinent I'm sure alot of fans prioritise their cricket over work...and everywhere else you hardly see stands swarming with people at the best of times.
Not true. Most of the stadia these days are filled with college students who AWOL from school.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's also the fact that a growing number of people have their "weekend" in the middle of the week somewhere and work on Saturday and Sunday. The corporate doesn't just stop on Friday afternoon anymore.
That's because of the policy formerly known as Workchoices - people don't get normal weekends any more to be with families, etc.
No doubt or new, glrious leader will change that - and add holidays in any given city where an international match is being played. :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's because of the policy formerly known as Workchoices - people don't get normal weekends any more to be with families, etc.
No doubt or new, glrious leader will change that - and add holidays in any given city where an international match is being played. :ph34r:
*doesn't bite*

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Middle of the week at the cricket - no problem. You can take:

ODI sickie - I ate a dodgy curry last night
Test match sickie - Have your wisdom teeth out just before a Test match.
Twenty20 sickie - I've got to leave early - my mother, dog, daughter, fridge repairman is coming, going and I need to be there.

There is also:

Parental leave, funeral leave, carers leave, long service leave and leave without pay.

Hope thats inspired you all!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They're not exactly lawyers, doctors and investment bankers at the weekday games, nor every day of a test match.

pasag

RTDAS
Indeed, classically epitomised by the then Prime Minister Bob Hawke who said after our famous Americas Cup victory that anyone who fired their workers for not turning up the next day was a bum.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure about the other parts of the World, but in England there will also be a fair proportion of Benefit scroungers in attendance.