Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tribute To Adam Gilchrist

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar

A Tribute To Adam Gilchrist

http://nz.cricinfo.com/ausvind/conte...ry/333484.html

Adam Gilchrist, one of the most dazzling entertainers that the game of cricket has seen, has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.

Undoubtedly my favourite cricketer, and sportsman, ever. Loved the way he played the game, with so much passion and determination, yet was also one of the most well-spoken, humble and genuine people you will meet. A legend, in all senses of the word.

EDIT: I'm no longer a staff member, but I'll be writing a personal tribute when I get the time.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Well done Perm - glad you made it. I'll have to think about my Gilly highlights bf posting more.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    http://nz.cricinfo.com/ausvind/conte...ry/333484.html

Adam Gilchrist, one of the most dazzling entertainers that the game of cricket has seen, has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.

Undoubtedly my favourite cricketer, and sportsman, ever. Loved the way he played the game, with so much passion and determination, yet was also one of the most well-spoken, humble and genuine people you will meet. A legend, in all senses of the word.

EDIT: I'm no longer a staff member, but I'll be writing a personal tribute when I get the time.

Where did you meet him?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I have never been a big fan of Australian players but Gilchrist (and Lee) are exceptions. Gilly has been one of my faves ever since his dream debut. He could have had a much longer career if only he had been brought in more quicky.

He made a late debut but he did exceptionally well. He revolutionized the position of wicketkeeper-batsmen and I am sure he will be part of any world XI team.

Very sad to see him go. I wish he stayed but all good things should come to an end...good in ya Gilly, you're such a champ.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Where did you meet him?
    I haven't, but you know what I mean. One day I will.

I was shocked when the news came through.

All plaudits to Gilly. A very exciting and talented cricketer who did it his way. And that way changed the face of cricket forever.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Great career ans a great player. He's entertained us all for a long time (if its against us I thouroughly hate him however ) and has served his country with excellence.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

He was one of those rare players who changed how cricket was played.

A credit to cricket both on and off the field.

International Debutant
    is also one of my favorite players ... i think it will truly sink in tomorrow

best timer of the ball definately

he was like holding a sword when he bats... and coming in at #7 how many times has he changed the flow of the game? he was one of the reasons for us turning the knife on opponents
    Last edited by Laurrz; 26-01-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Greatest Test knocks?

For mine (in no order): His first Test ton in Hobart 1999, the then-fastest double ton in Jo'burg and then the next Test in Cape Town was pretty good to watch, of course his century in Mumbai in 2001 was a joy to watch as Australia were 5/99, the first start of a brilliant Test series, and the other I can't forget is his second fastest ton against England, just too bad I was so tired and passed out asleep, man I was pissed when I found out he had done that.

I've obviously missed some more in there.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Wow. Shock to the system. Very sad to see the retirement of a man who genuinely revolutionised his art - a truly, truly great player. As much as he terrorised England over the years, it was great to watch - thanks for the memories, Gilly.

Wow - passing of an alltime great of the game. Unquestionably the greatest keeper-batsman of all time, and also easily one of the five most valuable cricketers of all time as well, IMO. Absolute legend, and one of my all time favourites players.

I think he's timed this perfectly and am glad he's leaving on his terms, and will get to spend time with his kids and wife now. Glad he got the record (even though Boucher will probably break it). All we need now is for a trademark 100 in even time in this innings.

Might write more when I've had a chance to think about it and digest the news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Brilliant player, revolutionised the role of the keeper-batsman really. Seems a fitting time to go as well. Thanks for the memories!
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

One of my favourite sportsmen ever. Just an absolute legend of the game. He butchered attacks like no other batsman could. He made some captains shove their fielders to the boundary before he'd even faced a ball. He scared the hell out of most bowlers in the world. He performed some magnificent services for this cricket team over the last 10 years and I think we're all just so luck to have seen him play.

Easily the greatest keeper-batsman of all time. It's phenomenal that someone can average 48 batting at number 7. I'll always love you Gilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Wow - passing of an alltime great of the game.
    He's retiring because he's dead?

He wasn't my favourite cricketer, but one couldn't help but be impressed by the way he carried himself and the way he approached the game. The highlights of his ton against England at Perth are something that take my breath away every time I watch them. Which, obviously isn't often, or I'd suffocate.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information