• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jones vs Nixon --- England WKs

Jones or Nixon

• Jones

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Nixon

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
Ok, I was wondering who people thought who'd be better for the test games, either Nixon Or Jones.

Personally I think Nixon.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jones for tests. Nixon was like 112 years old when he debuted in ODIs wasn't he?
Need an irrelevant third option - might I suggest Matt Prior?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
God, it's like choosing the method of your own execution, isn't it? One might be marginally less painful, but you know the end result anyway.

Probably go with Geraint, actually. His keeping had improved quite a lot by the end of his tenure but his batting was more-or-less totally gash after the 2005 Ashes. I'm not convinced Nixon has the technique to score runs at test level with any degree of reliability and his keeping was no more than serviceable, really.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Why is the poll between these two? They're nothing more than a couple of spare parts at a wedding. The current crop of wicketkeepers make you long for the days of Bruce French and Jack Richards when we had keepers who were only mildly inadequate. Alec Stewart and Jack Russell are both 44 but you could guarantee 100% they would still do a better job than this pair of nimrods.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH I'd pick Prior as a batsman ahead of both of them any day of the week, but I'd never, ever have him keeping wicket ahead of either of them.

I'm happy enough with Ambrose, even if I'd prefer Foster had been picked. Now Ambrose has, I very much hope and believe he can score runs and keep very well, though I'd not have picked him - yet - myself.

stumpski

International Captain
Thought someone had bumped a 15-month old thread here.

Chris Read for me, though I quite enjoy watching Jones bat. Saw him play a couple of good innings for Kent last season.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH I'd pick Prior as a batsman ahead of both of them any day of the week, but I'd never, ever have him keeping wicket ahead of either of them.

I'm happy enough with Ambrose, even if I'd prefer Foster had been picked. Now Ambrose has, I very much hope and believe he can score runs and keep very well, though I'd not have picked him - yet - myself.
Well, he was one of the great bowlers....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nixon's more talented than Jones TBH. At least he doesn't try to play an attacking stroke every ball from his 1st ball. 8-)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nixon's more talented than Jones TBH. At least he doesn't try to play an attacking stroke every ball from his 1st ball. 8-)
Yes, his reverse sweeps are to die for. His selection basically highlights England's lack of keeping options...and their ultra-conservative, no-hope-for-the-future, selection policies. I'm always astounded when Nixon gets off the mark.