• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe Touring Party Named

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Says who that his bowling is his reason for being in the side?

Looking at his career I'd say he's in as a number 6 or 7 batsman who bowls 6 or 7 overs where needed.
You haven't read his Biography have you? :rolleyes:

He thinks of himself as a bowler who bats.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ah, but do the selectors echo that sentiment........
They think he's a useful hitter like Blignaut, that's why they usually play him below Blignaut...

V Reddy

International Debutant
According to me , Ervine is more talented with the bat though and he is a better bowler than Evans too. Maybe that's why they are trying to play him as a 5 and who could bowl a bit.In the Sharjah Cup whenever he was expensive it was b'coz he was brought on to bowl in the last 5 overs and otherwise he bowled well in the middle and at the start. Why do you want to drop a player who is just beginning to perform well in the International level. It does not matter what he considers he is best at. Atleast he is consistently performing in one form or the other.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
You haven't read his Biography have you? :rolleyes:

He thinks of himself as a bowler who bats.
If you mean the one on Cricinfo - firstly it was written more than 2 years ago, after he'd played 1 first class match (as a batsman), and nowhere does it say that he what he thinks himself as.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
If you mean the one on Cricinfo - firstly it was written more than 2 years ago, after he'd played 1 first class match (as a batsman), and nowhere does it say that he what he thinks himself as.
Nope, not that one, though I might have a read.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
According to me , Ervine is more talented with the bat though and he is a better bowler than Evans too. Maybe that's why they are trying to play him as a 5 and who could bowl a bit.In the Sharjah Cup whenever he was expensive it was b'coz he was brought on to bowl in the last 5 overs and otherwise he bowled well in the middle and at the start. Why do you want to drop a player who is just beginning to perform well in the International level. It does not matter what he considers he is best at. Atleast he is consistently performing in one form or the other.
Because he still isn't performing well?

He's still rarely taking any wickets, his bowling average is 46 with less wickets than games played and his batting has been of the cameo variety...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
You can't argue with common sense (although Marc seems to find a way)
Don't get personal Rik... stick to the Zim squad discussion (which I actually agree with you about!! :O:O)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Don't get personal Rik... stick to the Zim squad discussion (which I actually agree with you about!! :O:O)
Ok...anything else you want to agree with me before I go and poke more fun at Marc? ;)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
Ok...anything else you want to agree with me before I go and poke more fun at Marc? ;)
OK, which part of DON'T GET PERSONAL is causing the problems here?

We all know that you and Marc aren't the best of friends, and you wouldn't be impressed if he went on like this...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
OK, which part of DON'T GET PERSONAL is causing the problems here?

We all know that you and Marc aren't the best of friends, and you wouldn't be impressed if he went on like this...
The phrases "Chill" and "not serious" spring to mind.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
His performances in Sharjah were

30,12*,0,25. In the first match he was runout.

36-1 (4), 26-0 (4) , 20-1 (8) , 18-0 (3) . In the first match it was 12-1(3) until he was given the ball in the penultimate over which should never have happened. He didn't bowl well against Kenya and against Pakistan it was almost a formality as Pak were cruising.

Overall a good performance in Zim standards. But Ebrahim , Hondo and Rennie had worser performances and you say Rennie should be picked. He has got several chances and not utilised them.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
His performances in Sharjah were

30,12*,0,25. In the first match he was runout.

36-1 (4), 26-0 (4) , 20-1 (8) , 18-0 (3) . In the first match it was 12-1(3) until he was given the ball in the penultimate over which should never have happened. He didn't bowl well against Kenya and against Pakistan it was almost a formality as Pak were cruising.

Overall a good performance in Zim standards. But Ebrahim , Hondo and Rennie had worser performances and you say Rennie should be picked. He has got several chances and not utilised them.
Yup I say Rennie should be picked, but for Tests, that is where he has shown his ability. You don't give the 2 opening spots to Ebrahim (who has shown more of a liking for the middle order) and Vermulen (who has only played 1 Test). You need an experianced opener there too.

I wasn't aware Hondo was going, is he? Ebrahim...they'll keep picking him although I wouldn't.

Overall figures of 19 overs, 93 runs, 2 wickets at 46.5, hmmm looks rather familier to his current ODI career record: 20 matches, 131.4 overs, 760 runs, 16 wickets at 47.50.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In Sharjah, Rennie bowled 14 overs for 64 runs and 2 wickets. Ervine bowled 19 for a century and 2 wickets.

Ervine's FC Econ. is almost 4. His OD is almost 5.4 and his averages are 61 and 42 respectively. Rennie is 32 and 39 respectively.

Rennie is more experienced but (looking at the stats) Ervine seems to be fairly talented, with the bat at least. I say give him another go in England- give him a Test or 2 and if he fails then, drop him.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
Yup I say Rennie should be picked, but for Tests, that is where he has shown his ability. You don't give the 2 opening spots to Ebrahim (who has shown more of a liking for the middle order) and Vermulen (who has only played 1 Test). You need an experianced opener there too.

I wasn't aware Hondo was going, is he? Ebrahim...they'll keep picking him although I wouldn't.

Overall figures of 19 overs, 93 runs, 2 wickets at 46.5, hmmm looks rather familier to his current ODI career record: 20 matches, 131.4 overs, 760 runs, 16 wickets at 47.50.
If you take away that 1 over in which he gave away 24 runs then it is a pretty good performance. Yes Hondo is there. How can you expect a black not to be there when Mugabe is there. I think Marillier will open even in tests now after that success.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Yes Hondo is there. How can you expect a black not to be there when Mugabe is there
Because they already have Taibu, Ebrahim, Nkala, Sibanda, Mwayenga, and Matsikenyere?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
In Sharjah, Rennie bowled 14 overs for 64 runs and 2 wickets. Ervine bowled 19 for a century and 2 wickets.

Ervine's FC Econ. is almost 4. His OD is almost 5.4 and his averages are 61 and 42 respectively. Rennie is 32 and 39 respectively.

Rennie is more experienced but (looking at the stats) Ervine seems to be fairly talented, with the bat at least. I say give him another go in England- give him a Test or 2 and if he fails then, drop him.
Rennie is an opening batsman who used to be a useful spinner and has started bowling quite well lately. Comparing Rennie with Ervine is quite an odd thing to do, one is an opening batsman and occasional left arm spinner and the other is a lower order hitter and medium pacer. Rennie is a solid Test opener, Ervine is seen as more of a OD expert (also shown by his FC bowling average of 61)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rennie's Test average after 23 matches or so is 22-odd. He has 7 50's and no hundreds.

Ervine averages 30-odd with the bat in FC. All I'm saying, is to give him a shot in the Tests before you write him off.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hondo has impressed me with his ability to take early wickets in one dayers - if he's told that he's a real strike bowler in Tests, then it may work?