• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Hi Friends:

The Franchisee For the IPL has been announced today: The Winners Are:

Mumbai Team (US$ 111.9 Million): Mukesh Ambani
Jaipur Team (US$ 67 Million): Investers In Cricket
Hyderabad Team (US$ 107 Million): Deccan Chronicle
Bangalore Team (US$ 111.6 Million): Vijay Mallya
Delhi Team (US$ 84 Million): GMR Group
Chennai Team (US$ 91 Million): India Cements
Mohali Team (US$ 76 Million): Ness Wadia
Kolkatta Team (US$ 75.09 Million): Shah Rukh Khan

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Far too much drama here on non-cricketing matters. Let's just hope this doesn't bust the chances of something with a lot of promise.

As for nicknames, I'd expect Mumbai Lions to be one of them. After all, this is an official BCCI tournament, and the Red Lion is the Mumbai mascot.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Mukesh Ambani has successfully got Shah Rukh Khan to shift loyalties! I wonder, who are these 'Investers in Cricket"? I wonder, what does Ness Wadia have to do with Chandigarh? I'd expect these Indian players in the teams:
  • Mumbai: Sachin, Zaheer, Agarkar, Sharma, Powar. NICKNAME: Lions?
  • Jaipur: Pankaj Singh, Joginder Sharma? NICKNAME: Warriors?
  • Hyderabad: VVS Laxman, Venugopal Rao, Hemal Watekar, Pragyan Ojha. NICKNAME: Nizams?
  • Bangalore: Rahul Dravid, Robin Uthappa, Rowland, Kumble, (guess the other spinner). NICKNAME: Eagles?
  • Delhi: All four opening batsmen, Nehra, Bhandari, Sharma. NICKNAME: Sultans?
  • Chandigarh: Harbhajan, Gagandeep, VRV, Ravneet, Kaul, Goel. NICKNAME: Powerhouse?
  • Chennai: Balaji, Jesuraj (where is he?), Badrinath, Karthik, Vijay, Ramkumar, Ashwin. NICKNAME: Gears?
  • Kolkata: Ganguly, Shukla, Dhoni, Paul, Bose, Dinda. NICKNAME: Rails? Can't think of any other.
MISSING TEAMS?
  • Baroda Bulls: The Pathans, all Patels, Pujara.
  • Lucknow Lightning: RP Singh, Kaif, Raina, Chawla, Kumar.
  • Pune Sparkplugs: Abhijit Kale, Sanjay Bangar?

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Mukesh Ambani has successfully got Shah Rukh Khan to shift loyalties! I wonder, who are these 'Investers in Cricket"? I wonder, what does Ness Wadia have to do with Chandigarh? I'd expect these Indian players in the teams:
  • Mumbai: Sachin, Zaheer, Agarkar, Sharma, Powar. NICKNAME: Lions?
  • Jaipur: Pankaj Singh, Joginder Sharma? NICKNAME: Warriors?
  • Hyderabad: VVS Laxman, Venugopal Rao, Hemal Watekar, Pragyan Ojha. NICKNAME: Nizams?
  • Bangalore: Rahul Dravid, Robin Uthappa, Rowland, Kumble, (guess the other spinner). NICKNAME: Eagles?
  • Delhi: All four opening batsmen, Nehra, Bhandari, Sharma. NICKNAME: Sultans?
  • Chandigarh: Harbhajan, Gagandeep, VRV, Ravneet, Kaul, Goel. NICKNAME: Powerhouse?
  • Chennai: Balaji, Jesuraj (where is he?), Badrinath, Karthik, Vijay, Ramkumar, Ashwin. NICKNAME: Gears?
  • Kolkata: Ganguly, Shukla, Dhoni, Paul, Bose, Dinda. NICKNAME: Rails? Can't think of any other.
MISSING TEAMS?
  • Baroda Bulls: The Pathans, all Patels, Pujara.
  • Lucknow Lightning: RP Singh, Kaif, Raina, Chawla, Kumar.
  • Pune Sparkplugs: Abhijit Kale, Sanjay Bangar?
Come On It could be better then that... The players are yet to be bidded for the squads to be announced...

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Vijay mallya has paid more for 10 year rights of an IPL team than what he paid for a established Formula 1 team.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Investors in Cricket had (think they still have do) a large share in Leicestershire CCC. They staged the rain-hit World Twenty20 back in 2005(?).

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm surprised at the choice of teams. Hyderabad only has one regular and one prospect, yet they have a team here. Nobody from anywhere in Rajasthan is likely to play for India now. Baroda, in comparison, have got more than a few folks ready for India (and also some other areas around), but don't have their own team! Uttar Pradesh has as many as five national prospects, and a newcomer leads the wickets tally in Ranji, but there's no team from UP! Strange.

howardj

International Coach
Is anyone, other than boofheads who watch meaningless rubbish like Big Brother etc, seriously going to watch this tripe? Fair dinkum, it's the absolute definition of guff and soulessness. How utterly vacuous will it be!

I think I might support the generic Jaipur team/franchise/cobbled together entity. lol

jeevan

International 12th Man
I'm surprised at the choice of teams. Hyderabad only has one regular and one prospect, yet they have a team here. Nobody from anywhere in Rajasthan is likely to play for India now. Baroda, in comparison, have got more than a few folks ready for India (and also some other areas around), but don't have their own team! Uttar Pradesh has as many as five national prospects, and a newcomer leads the wickets tally in Ranji, but there's no team from UP! Strange.
Lalith Modi is the prez of Rajasthan cricket association and IPL is his brainchild. Easily explains Jaipur (which is the oddest choice) .

For Hyderabad (or UP, or Baroda), dont know the angle, but the Indian cricket team is the wrong place to look for explanations, I think. The size of the ad market, and especially who their BCCI daddy is, are possibly more important.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is anyone, other than boofheads who watch meaningless rubbish like Big Brother etc, seriously going to watch this tripe? Fair dinkum, it's the absolute definition of guff and soulessness. How utterly vacuous will it be!

I think I might support the generic Jaipur team/franchise/cobbled together entity. lol
If it's televised then I'll probably watch it. Couldn't think of anything more exciting than Brett Lee steaming in to bowl at Ricky Ponting, or Adam Gilchrist. Should be awesome.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Catchment areas have been declared. Baroda comes within Jaipur's area, while Uttar Pradesh falls in Delhi's. Haryana, predictably, falls within Chandigarh and strangely, Railways goes to Chennai and Services, to Bangalore. While the 'icon players' may not leave their cities, we wonder, what happens to those players who don't belong to any of these cities, whether they can shift out...

jeevan

International 12th Man
Catchment areas have been declared. Baroda comes within Jaipur's area, while Uttar Pradesh falls in Delhi's. Haryana, predictably, falls within Chandigarh and strangely, Railways goes to Chennai and Services, to Bangalore. While the 'icon players' may not leave their cities, we wonder, what happens to those players who don't belong to any of these cities, whether they can shift out...
Going strictly by the cachement area, Jaipur's top domestic billing will be Irfan Pathan and Chennai's will be Sreesanth? This, while Dhoni vice-captains Calcutta or something.

Dont see that happening, not the least since Lalit Modi is chairman of Rajasthan cricket association. Expecting Dhoni to head over to, and lead, Jaipur.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What would an IPL team look like? Since it's official, we'd expect the best of current internationals in action. We see a few Aussies - possibly two per team - in these teams, and also players from SA, NZ and possibly Eng/WI. Will there be lpace for domestic players from India in these teams? We don't know, and even Indian reserve players will have a hard time breaking in- exactly the opposite of the ongoing ICL 50's, where just about anyone can make a team.