Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What should Ishant work on?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

What should Ishant work on?

Hello all,
    A newbie here. This is my first thread.

The cricketing world has seen a lot of tall bowlers whose stock delivery was the offcutter. None of them really swung the ball.

Here are some of them:

Ambrose, McGrath, Walsh, Harmison, Flintoff, Srinath

It seems that Ambrose had the complete package.

But a guy like Walsh who could only bowl the off cutter and bowled so wide of the crease was so much more successful than Harmison, Flintoff and Srinath. Why is that? On the other hand why was McGrath more successful than Walsh? He was neither as quick as Walsh nor did he have a great bouncer. The only difference seems to me that he could bowl close to the crease and also bowl the leg cutter.

And finally what does Ishant need to learn so that he ends up being more productive than Srinath, Flintoff and Harmison?

1. Be as accurate as Walsh, McGrath and Ambrose.
    2. Learn the leg cutter asap
    3. Bowl more closer to the stumps
    4. Bulk up and add more speed
    5. Be as fit as Walsh and bowl long spells.
    6. Develop a nasty bouncer.
    7. Bowl a lot on good length instead of short of good length.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    But a guy like Walsh who could only bowl the off cutter and bowled so wide of the crease was so much more successful than Harmison, Flintoff and Srinath. Why is that? On the other hand why was McGrath more successful than Walsh? He was neither as quick as Walsh nor did he have a great bouncer. The only difference seems to me that he could bowl close to the crease and also bowl the leg cutter.
    Nah, McGrath had a great bouncer. Just didn't use it often. When he did, though, it almost inevitably gave the batsmen the hurry-up because it was such a shock that the guy who'd been bowling seam-up in the corridor for 5 overs would slip in a quicker bouncer.

And finally what does Ishant need to learn so that he ends up being more productive than Srinath, Flintoff and Harmison?

1. Be as accurate as Walsh, McGrath and Ambrose.
    2. Learn the leg cutter asap
    3. Bowl more closer to the stumps
    4. Bulk up and add more speed
    5. Be as fit as Walsh and bowl long spells.
    6. Develop a nasty bouncer.
    7. Bowl a lot on good length instead of short of good length.
    Surely he already has 2.? Weren't both wickets against Ponting in Perth leg-cutters? Probably doesn't go as consistent as his in-ducker, though

Already has plenty of 4. and shouldn't try to be something he's not unless it's just a natural speed increase. He's no express bowler but he's plenty quick enough. He was up around 140km/h often enough for mine. Bowlers these days are too often encouraged to get quicker at the expense of good line and they inevitably lose movement which is his greatest strength.

5. will come. He already looks like he can bowl long spells, the second innings one to Ponting being a case in point.

To be honest, I don't see a great deal wrong with him. If he keeps it up, he'll take wickets. He has a hooping in-swing. Variation along the lines of movement off the deck away from the bat and he'll be an awesome bowler I reckon
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

He fit in well with the attack he bowled with in Perth who bowled well as a team, not just in type with the lefties swinging it and bowling a bit further up...but the attack was better captained and worked better as a team that what the Australians did in the Perth game.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    He should work on getting his caught behinds given out
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    Agree with the points you make mate but he's only 19 so he has plenty of time to develop. May be better than Hilfenhaus in a couple of years time. Big future ahead of him.
    Australian Cricket Team
    Cricket World Cup Champions: 1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007
    ICC Champions Trophy: 2006
    Ashes Champions: 2006/07

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    The cricketing world has seen a lot of tall bowlers whose stock delivery was the offcutter. None of them really swung the ball.

Here are some of them:

Ambrose, McGrath, Walsh, Harmison, Flintoff, Srinath
    Harmison is completely and totally out-of-place there!

And BTW - he can't bowl an off-cutter to order. Sometimes flukes the odd one (like the one - it was a leg-cutter given Gary Kirsten is a left-hander - that dismissed Kirsten at The Oval in 2003) but it certainly isn't his stock-ball, his stock-ball goes through gun-barrel straight, that's why he's so unsuccessful.
    But a guy like Walsh who could only bowl the off cutter and bowled so wide of the crease was so much more successful than Harmison, Flintoff and Srinath.
    Walsh could get the ball to go away off the pitch almost to order, with no discernible change in action. That was what made him so difficult to face.

At least, that was the case later in his career; I don't know about earlier on.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Need to bulk up a little bit. In an ideal world, he could be India's Harmison.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

He must aspire to far more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Need to bulk up a little bit. In an ideal world, he could be India's Harmison.
    He needs to set his sights a bit higher than Steve Harmison. Ideally he could be as good as a Javagal Srinath.

He needs to work on his fitness to be a long term prospect. India have had many bowlers in the past to bowl at over 140kph and generally be promising bowlers only to break down, slow down and lose accuracy, e.g. Agarkar, Nehra, Munaf Patel, Balaji.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Nehra bowled over 140kph?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nehra bowled over 140kph?
    Indeed. During the 2002-2004 period, he was quite sharp.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I would not expect he will ever be express pace, therefore consistency in hitting the right areas is paramount. If he puts in the hard yards in practice, his accuracy will get better and I hope he does concentrate on that because he will be a real handful.
    A good straight bouncer with a bit of extra effort is always a useful addition to a medium quicks armoury. I agree with Top Cat though, Mcgrath did have a more than useful short ball which was always deadly accurate.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I think he should work on trying to perfect (as much as anyone can) what he's already good at, rather than trying to develop this and that. When McGrath 1st came along he got told he had to bowl outswing to succeed. He played in the 1st test in 94-95, bowled tripe outswing and iirc got left out next time around. Then he went back to doing what he did best - hitting the deck hard in the right areas, letting the ball do the work, and hey presto - West Indies 1995.
    Sharma's got good weapons already - bounce, decent pace and a bit of movement. I say, let him consistently perform with those attribute. When he grows into himself, he can work on other subtleties as his career develops.
    He bowled decently in Sydney and well IN perth, with the one outstanding spell. The signs are there that he has the ability to be consistent at the top level. Let's see him do it over a number of tests to confirm it's the case - Adelaide will be a good place to start.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

If he can model his game on McGraths he will be a very good bowler. He has all the right attributes. He does not need to get carried away with bowling fast as he should be able to get sharp bounce from his height, which is always more dangerous. He has plenty of time to master cutting & swinging the ball. If he can combine those skills with consistent line & length he will take 250+ test wickets.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information