• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you support Ganguly, Dravid being dropped?

deira

Banned
I was wondering do you support the decision. I really think its a stupid decision. It will be so hard for youngesters to play in Australia with out much experience.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Well where else better is there to get experience than to play against Australia? Indian selectors are looking towards the future.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Well where else better is there to get experience than to play against Australia? Indian selectors are looking towards the future.
In India (and there was a chance right after the T20I world series).

Even people supporting the move will probably not vouch for the Indian selectors.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Surely you wouldn't get more experience in an Indian domestic team than against a team like Australia?

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
Surely you wouldn't get more experience in an Indian domestic team than against a team like Australia?
I meant: was better for an Indian newbie player to play Australia in India, rather than in Australia. (And India played Australia in India right after the T20I).

The question was about playing Australia. If that constraint is lifted, best to play BD & Zimbabwe first (as was coming up right after the triseries) and then the big teams and then someone like SA or NZ and then Australia.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
In India (and there was a chance right after the T20I world series).

Even people supporting the move will probably not vouch for the Indian selectors.
India did the populist thing by selecting Ganguly and Co in the one day series against Australia at home and lost.

So now they have given the captain the team that he wants. I think it is a good move, India should look forward towards a team of the future.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I meant: was better for an Indian newbie player to play Australia in India, rather than in Australia. (And India played Australia in India right after the T20I).

The question was about playing Australia. If that constraint is lifted, best to play BD & Zimbabwe first (as was coming up right after the triseries) and then the big teams and then someone like SA or NZ and then Australia.
Why do Indians like to baby their teams??? None of the players are exactly new.........they all have international experience.

The current B'desh & Zim side with all due respects are no better than club sides. By babying your players they will only become minnow bashers and will still lack the courage to face a side like the current aussie team because in their hearts they know that they have never faced a superior side.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems odd to drop Dravid and Ganguly and keep Tendulkar. Very odd.
Not really. Dravid and Ganguly are both terrible fielders and in poor ODI form whereas Tendulkar is an okay fielder, arguably the best ODI batsman of all time and in great form, smashing loads of runs at a fast pace. The balance must also be made between youth and experience. Currently, Yuvraj and Tendulkar alone provide the batting experience.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well for mine Ganguly and Dravid would not be dropped if they were 10 years younger. Or even 5. Not a chance. Poor fielders and not in the best of form, true, but we all know the old adage about form and class, and you can be as dreadful a fielder as you want, if you can bat as well as those two, it doesn't matter.

For mine, the only reason that makes any sense to drop them is that India were looking to the next WC. And if that were true, Tendulkar would have to go too.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well for mine Ganguly and Dravid would not be dropped if they were 10 years younger. Or even 5. Not a chance. Poor fielders and not in the best of form, true, but we all know the old adage about form and class, and you can be as dreadful a fielder as you want, if you can bat as well as those two, it doesn't matter.

For mine, the only reason that makes any sense to drop them is that India were looking to the next WC. And if that were true, Tendulkar would have to go too.
They are looking forward to the next World Cup, but:
a) Some experience is needed to phase in the youngsters instead of just chucking them in.
b) Tendulkar himself has stated that he would play in the 2011 World Cup if his body holds up. He has also denied people quoting Tendulkar saying that ODIs are taking a severe toll on his body.

As for the poor fielders vs good batsmen arguement, Ganguly concedes about one boundary and about five singles per innings without fail, therefore, he should be consistently scoring 50s to avoid becoming a liability - something he has not done in the 2007/8 season. I, of course, agree with the comment that age was a factor, but performance was certainly one too.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Completely disagree with this decision, worst ever decision. What more does the man need to do to stay in the team, bloody hell they drop him when he didn't score runs and now they drop him after scoring the second highest last year, atrocious call IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They are looking forward to the next World Cup, but:
a) Some experience is needed to phase in the youngsters instead of just chucking them in.
Disagree TBH, it's the youngsters that need the experience, not the experienced players. Anyway, experience is hopelessly overrated in sport; it's mindset that's important, and you can have that at a young or old age, if the mind's right.

What the young Indian players need is to test themselves, and very possibly (far more players than not do) make improvements. They won't do that if someone (say, Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar) are taking spots they could be occupying.

If Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar can help, excellent - but they won't do it by playing in games, they'll do it by talking and watching.
b) Tendulkar himself has stated that he would play in the 2011 World Cup if his body holds up. He has also denied people quoting Tendulkar saying that ODIs are taking a severe toll on his body.
Excellent - and if Tendulkar can, Dravid certainly can. Less sure about Ganguly.
As for the poor fielders vs good batsmen arguement, Ganguly concedes about one boundary and about five singles per innings without fail, therefore, he should be consistently scoring 50s to avoid becoming a liability - something he has not done in the 2007/8 season. I, of course, agree with the comment that age was a factor, but performance was certainly one too.
I highly doubt he concedes a boundary per innings TBH, you'd need to be truly atrocious to do that. And I reckon he did more than enough with the bat last year, in all, even if some of his later innings were less than flash, to retain a spot if it's purely on the-here-and-now.

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think its the right decision. Mainly in the long term but won't hurt that much in the short term. Dravid is no longer suited to the one day game and definitely needs to make way for youth. Ganguly is a harder one as he is still very capable one day batsman plus can bowl a bit. I think however his fielding and running between wickets is terrible and general attitude around a young team a big negative. Tendulkar however is none of those things, he is a great example and mentor to all the younger players.

The fact is Dravid & Ganguly have maybe one year left in one dayers if you wanted to keep them around. They certainly won't be at the next world cup. It is in the interests of the team to introduce young blood, and what better place than against Australia in Australia - you will soon find out who is up to the challenge at this level.

This is really the strategy Greg Chappell was trying to get in place before last world cup, however was generally prevented by the BCCI and ran out of time. Perhaps they have seen the light at last and realise if they do not move now they will head into a very dark era of Indian cricket like Australia after Chappell, Lillie & Marsh retired.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Not really. Dravid and Ganguly are both terrible fielders and in poor ODI form whereas Tendulkar is an okay fielder, arguably the best ODI batsman of all time and in great form, smashing loads of runs at a fast pace. The balance must also be made between youth and experience. Currently, Yuvraj and Tendulkar alone provide the batting experience.
Say what? Ganguly has 12 50's in the 2007 (in 30 matches) or something like that. Poor fielder, yes he is.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't want to sound disprespectful, but I really couldn't give a tinker's cuss about whether these or any players get dropped for ODIs.

I like watching the games coz, hey, it's cricket after all. But for me, it's test matches pretty much, aside from the WC. So, if they were being dumped from the test side, I'd feel a lot worse about it.