• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you support Ganguly, Dravid being dropped?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's my take on this issue: In the last year (and further back) in which they all played, the team was getting nothing out of it. They were not winning. Tournaments once again got out of reach. After the World Cup, they were on a downslide. This move of dropping them wouldn't hurt much, then, so this would be a good time to invest in good prospects, and should be put to good use, as it is now. The selectors have put together a good combination for this series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have you not seen him field? Ganguly is awful by all standards.
He's not the best and there aren't many worse, but equally he could and has been even worse in the past than he is currently. It's rare these days to see him make simple misfields.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There have been too many liabilities on the field in this Indian team. That's weighed them down against every other team- the champions, the challengers and even minnows. We've seen the exit of Munaf, Powar, Laxman, Kumble (he stepped out on his own), VRV Singh, Dinesh Mongia and few others from the past, while some (including Kumble) have stepped up on the field. They all had to adapt or leave.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing is, those batsmen\bowlers have veered between sheer woeful and half-decent. Laxman, Munaf (so far) and Powar (so far) have been no more than OK performers; Mongia and VRV Singh are both shockingly poor and it never failed to mystify me how the former played such an obscene number of ODIs and the latter ever got near the international level. Kumble hadn't been a good ODI bowler for years and years when he finally retired.

Ganguly is far, far better at his primary role than any of these aforementioned. So is Dravid.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I didn't say it never happened did I, but that was the first instance of the type I can remember for aaaages.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Who will be the player that will be selected in his place Jeevan?
Ganguly's best value to the Indian ODI team was/is being one half of the Tendulkar-Ganguly opening pair. So, I expect Sehwag to 'replace' him and I hope Sehwag continues to prove people like me wrong (was not too happy with him being the squad for Australia, bad call in retrospect).

Given that Sehwag was in the ODI squad (as was Gambhir) technically Raina replaced him but is not a 1:1 swap.

jeevan

International 12th Man
216 runs in his last eight innings.
And Sehwag, who replaces him as opener (I hope, probably much better choice than Gambhir or Uthappa), had 234 in the last 8 innings. And in Sehwag's case, of these 8 matches - 2 were against BD and 3 against an Africa XI side that did not have Pollock, Ntini,Steyn,Nel, or Kallis in the bowling lineup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It truly will be ridiculous if Sehwag replaces Ganguly. Sehwag should have been dropped from ODIs for good a fair while ago.

Sehwag will never, ever be a patch on the player Ganguly was and is in the one-day game.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Just to throw in a stat here...Sehwag has an average of about 24 against Australia.

But does history really matter if we see Virender improving? He would make a dangerous ODI player. I say replace him with one of the dropped players for at least one match out of the god knows how many and see how he does. Strike-rate means a lot in ODI's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag averages sod-all in ODIs in any position against any opposition since about 2003. It's utterly ridiculous that he played on and on and on in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, not being dropped until 2007. Plain madness.

Only in 2002 has he ever done anything of much note in ODIs. He's only played because of the "OMG! Strokeplayer, must be good ODI player!" nonsense we see so often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In ODIs? God no!!!!!! He's even worse than Sehwag!

Uthappa has to open IMO, and obviously of those picked it'll be Tendulkar who he opens with.

Ideally I'd like Ganguly and Uthappa. Failing that, Ganguly and Tendulkar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I said - of those picked in this squad, I'd have Uthappa and Tendulkar without a backward glance.

Depressing that Gambhir remains. :dry:

haroon510

International 12th Man
i believe Dravid and Kallis shouldn't be even close a one day side.. so i am for dropping Dravid..
what i didn't get here is why they dropped Dada.. the fact that he has been doing really well lately is totally ignored and not to forget that one day is his game.. he is far more dominant in one day than test..

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
And Sehwag, who replaces him as opener (I hope, probably much better choice than Gambhir or Uthappa), had 234 in the last 8 innings. And in Sehwag's case, of these 8 matches - 2 were against BD and 3 against an Africa XI side that did not have Pollock, Ntini,Steyn,Nel, or Kallis in the bowling lineup.
I never once said that I thought that Sehwag was the right replacement for Ganguly.

Laurrz

International Debutant
i think its a great decision beause they do have a lot of talented young batsmen (Karthik Gambhir Uthappa etc.)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I actually think that Dravid has a heap more to offer than Ganguly.

The latter is on borrowed time in all forms of the game (and is simply a massive liability in the field in any event) whilst it may actually do Dravid some good to go out and play a few shots