• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's 400th Cricketer

aussie tragic

International Captain
Chris Rogers is now Australia's 399th Test Cricketer, so who's willing to provide some odds on who will be the 400th.....

Will it be an Australian "youngster" like Ben Hilfenhaus (24), Luke Pomersbach (23) or Cullen Bailey (22), or another oldie like Adam Vogues (28), David Hussey (30), Brad Haddin (30) or Ashley Noffke (30) ????

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well right now it looks strongly like Bailey should never play for Australia, never mind any time soon, Hilfenhaus certainly shouldn't play any time soon, and I don't think Pomersbach is really in the Test frame at prrrrrrrrrrresent is he? :blink:

Still say I'd laugh (and love it) so much if McGain got the gig. And it's something that couldn't be ruled-out if we get a flattie at Adelaide (very possible), Hogg plays (overwhelmingly likely) and gets belted (certainly very possible). And if MacGill remains unfit (certainly possible). And if he (McGain) bowls reasonably for the rest of this season (possible too).

Reckon McGain would be as if not more likely than Noffke.

And I hope Gilchrist plays 100 (I$C$C-termed) Tests, then retires after the West Indies tour. Full circle would then have been completed.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Well right now it looks strongly like Bailey should never play for Australia, never mind any time soon, Hilfenhaus certainly shouldn't play any time soon, and I don't think Pomersbach is really in the Test frame at prrrrrrrrrrresent is he? :blink: .
Well Bailey and Hilfenhaus are in the 25 contracted player list, so I thought I should mention them...as for Pomersbach, the call up from the carpark should prove that anything is possible :dry: oh yeah, with a name like that he should at least play against the Poms, which could be when the 400th cricketer is selected given the current team stability and the fact that most of the fringe batsmen have already played for Aus (e.g. Hodge, Katich, Rogers, Watson)

sideshowtim

Banned
Well Bailey and Hilfenhaus are in the 25 contracted player list, so I thought I should mention them...as for Pomersbach, the call up from the carpark should prove that anything is possible :dry: oh yeah, with a name like that he should at least play against the Poms, which could be when the 400th cricketer is selected given the current team stability and the fact that most of the fringe batsmen have already played for Aus (e.g. Hodge, Katich, Rogers, Watson)
He's already bashed the Poms. Before he even played a FC match he smashed them everywhere for a ton in their tour game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
as for Pomersbach, the call up from the carpark should prove that anything is possible :dry: oh yeah, with a name like that he should at least play against the Poms
Is it pronounced "pom ers bash" then? Had always presumed it was "pomers bach" (as in JS Bach).

Could be "pom ers batch" too I guess.

aussie tragic

International Captain
He's already bashed the Poms. Before he even played a FC match he smashed them everywhere for a ton in their tour game.
Right then, about time we started talking about him as a future test captain just like Ponting and Clarke were at the same age ;)

sideshowtim

Banned
Right then, about time we started talking about him as a future test captain just like Ponting and Clarke were at the same age ;)
He bashed the Saffers with a ton before he played a FC game too...The guy really is something special. I know what you said was in jest, but while I don't see him ever becoming captain (needs a bit more maturity if he ever wishes to), he will become a star batsman for us IMO.

aussie tragic

International Captain
He bashed the Saffers with a ton before he played a FC game too...The guy really is something special. I know what you said was in jest, but while I don't see him ever becoming captain (needs a bit more maturity if he ever wishes to), he will become a star batsman for us IMO.
Well Ponting was also said to require more maturity after his infamous "Bourbon & Beefsteak altercation" so Pomersbach's recent suspension seemed fitting for a future captain....

However all joking aside, I had no idea he hit centuries against Eng & SA before playing FC cricket and his current FC avergage of 63.09 appears to be pretty special.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon Haddin is the biggest chance, but only if there is an injury to Gilchrist. If a batsman is injured the place would go to someone who has already played test cricket - Rogers, Katich, Hodge. However, if a bowler were injured Noffke would have to be the next chosen.

So, I reckon Haddin or Noffke.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Regardless of the 400th player coming in on behalf of an injured player, who would everyone tip to make their way in the side purely on good form in FC cricket etc.?

howardj

International Coach
Regardless of the 400th player coming in on behalf of an injured player, who would everyone tip to make their way in the side purely on good form in FC cricket etc.?
I said Haddin on the basis, not of injury, but of Gilly retiring (or being pushed into retirement).

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody, unless of injuries and/or retirement, nobody will be able to push into the test team, my guess for 400 is Hussey, D