• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's 400th Cricketer

aussie tragic

International Captain
Since this thread is now obviously dead with Haddin being a shoe in for the 400th Test cricketer, any chance we can keep it going by guessing who will be the 164th ODI player (especially since the 162nd has just quit)....

....this one has to be Noffke surely, or maybe Luke Ronchi?????

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, Haddin needs to be rested ASAP IMO. Will start to be a serious risk of burnout.

Mind, one must think that Paine would be ahead of Ronchi as far as glovework is concerned?

sideshowtim

Banned
Dave Hussey for Number 164 IMO. I reckon Punter might miss the first ODI, and that will see D-Huss get his first Aussie cap.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Mind, one must think that Paine would be ahead of Ronchi as far as glovework is concerned?
If Haddin went down today, there's no way Paine would be picked ahead of Ronchi. Neither would do a particularily impressive job at the moment, imo, but Ronchi, despite his general mediocrity, has a big rep in Australia.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Haddin went down today, there's no way Paine would be picked ahead of Ronchi. Neither would do a particularily impressive job at the moment, imo, but Ronchi, despite his general mediocrity, has a big rep in Australia.
Agree with this. Ronchi is very hit and miss. Often gets out for single figure scores, once past 10 he is pretty dangerous.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I find it quite odd that it is a distinct possibility that the 420th cap for Australia might go to someone who hasnt even been born yet...in that time England will have tried half its population in the test team!!!
I know this is light hearted against England but I'll answer anyways..

Assuming the 420th Test Cricketer starts at a very early 20 years of age, would mean that he wouldn't be playing until 2028.

All 11 current players now will obviously need to be replaced by then, and we average around 3 new players each year, so by 2028, we'll be around 460, perhaps even slightly higher.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah wasn't meaning Paine would currently be ahead of Ronchi where selection was concerned (Paine's in, what, his 2nd season?), merely that Paine's glovework is generally better than Ronchi's is it not?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He's definately improved this season, but that's not saying much tbf. He's the worst regular state keeper, keeping-wise, and I'd say Hartley would be the best. Paine would be middle of the road imo.

iamdavid

International Debutant
What are the odds Manou would get a look in? I know he's been dire most of his career, but two good hundreds in the Pura Cup this seaon and his glovework clearly alot better than Ronchi's.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What are the odds Manou would get a look in? I know he's been dire most of his career, but two good hundreds in the Pura Cup this seaon and his glovework clearly alot better than Ronchi's.
The discussion is for ODI selection and its been a couple seasons since he scored runs in that form. Crosthwaite would be ahead of him at One Day batsmen and he is better keeper.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm going to with Adam Voges.

He's a good batsmen against spin and his spinners are decent. I reckon he'll be close to being selected on the next overseas tour and an injury could see him get a spot.

I would love it if Luke Pomersbach or George Bailey was number 400.

Voges most unlucky. :laugh:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon Haddin is the biggest chance, but only if there is an injury to Gilchrist. If a batsman is injured the place would go to someone who has already played test cricket - Rogers, Katich, Hodge. However, if a bowler were injured Noffke would have to be the next chosen.

So, I reckon Haddin or Noffke.
Pretty insightful imo. Although I could have made my case better had I tipped a Gilchrist retirement.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So who will be Australia's 412th Test Cricketer?

Think the options are wide open, but I would have to go for Clint McKay.